Mercon 5 trans fluid ?

turborich

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just had a question. I have read about a lot of people using mercon 5 trans fluid. Is this better for the transmission? What are the bennifits of using this? I am going to drain my torque convertor and do a filter change this week so I just wanted to find out more info on the mercon 5. Thanks.

Thinking about using Mercron V, you will bump into the 1/2 & 3/4 accumulator upgrades. If it has not been done, the upgrade(Jerry's Mod), it should be done ASAP! The new fluid flows easier but I don't remember if there are other benifits. I have a 95, did the accumulator changes in my driveway & drilled the holes up to the first level, 300hp, & it shifts beautifully. See: http://www.tccoa.com/articles/intake/index.html#. Worth it, Ed :cool:

Mercon V is recommended by ford for all transmissions requiring Mercon or Mercon III. It is much less prone to thermal breakdown due to heat, than the previous versions.

OK guys, thanks for the info. Now I went and bought 13 quarts of the valvoline semi synthetic mercon 5 trans fluid and a filter/gasket from napa. I'm going to drain/fill it tomorrow. WHAT IS THE EASIEST WAY FOR ME TO DRAIN THE TRANS LINES AND COOLER? I know that the new mercon 5 shouldnt mix with the old. Can I use compressed air to blow the lines out? How should I do this? I want to try to get as much of the old out as I can.

Thank, Richard.

You can use compressed air, just use a very low psi, as you don't want it all over the garage. Or, you can buy a small drill motor pump, to pump the fluid thru the cooler lines in reverse. In other words, use the return line from the cooler to pump fluid into. Mixing of the fluids, is not the problem. YOu want all of the old fluid out, because it is cooked. Heat damaged trans fluid will lead to torque converter shudder and other problems. Also, you want to drain the converter. Pull the rubber plug out of the bellhousing, and rotate the engine until the converter drain plug is on the bottom. Then remove the plug and drain.

Edit: The original rubber trans pan gasket is reusable so don't take the new gasket out of its packaging. YOu can return it and save some money.

at the auto part store their computer stated that the two fluids, mercon III and mercon 5 were not compatable. Im not enen sure whats in the trans, All I know is that whenever I but a car I like to make sure the transmission is serviced right away. So some mercon 3 in the trans wont hurt it?

UPDATE! OK, I decided to go to my local ford dealership and ask the service tech what transmission fluid to use. He said MERCON. Not mercon 5. So I decided to call the remaining 2 ford delerships and they also said to only use MERCON. Then I figured I might as well check with the lincoln dealerships, they too said to only use MERCON. They explained to me that you should only consider changing to mercon 5 if you are getting the transmission rebuilt and starting fresh. Besides the car origionaly calls for mercon. 1996 and up fords can use mercon 5. So bassed on all of this information I decided to use mercon fluid. I was surprized at how clean the inside of the trans pan was, only a little bit of material clinging to the magnet. The rest was very clean. Between the pan and the torqe convertor it took about 10.5 quarts to refill. If you are thinking about using mercon 5 in your pre 96 I would call a ford garage first. The mercon5 is synthetic also.

I haven't heard of people use Mobil 1 ATF but definately Amsoil ATF is good.

Both my 95 and 98 took Mercon V - all work done at the dealer. If I remember correctly there was a TSB by Ford recommending only using Mercon V not only to cure shudder problems in the Mark but for any 4R70W tranny. Either way fresh fluid is better than old fluid.

Current Stable:
00 Stang vert - side pipes, super chip, CAI
98 LSC
96 Haulmark enclosed race trailer (going to eBay soon)
94 E-150 5.8l
65 T-Bird Coupe
65 T-Bird vert
64 Austin Healy 3000

Gone but not forgott'n:
95 Gen I Base
92 Merc Grand Marq -Police package...sigh
90 TC
85 T-Tbird Fila

Well I will agree with that. It made me nervous when 5 ford/lincoln garages told me not to use the meron 5.

I just droped $36 worth of m5 in my 94 mkviii and it cured the eratic 3/4 shift and shudder but it shifts so smoothe its scary. I think I may go back to recommended fluid next month.

I retract the above statement. Today after driving on the highway (waled my buddies 02 5sp stock stang from 40+)I parked and did some junk yarding then got back in my car. Backed out fine then put it in drive. nothing. checked 1/2 nothing. gunned the engine the car inched foreward then WHAMMMO 4500 burn out in 2nd gear. needles to say bystanders were impressed. I had to drive it home managed to stop 2 times. above 15mph and rev to 3500 it will kick in. OD had to be turned off toocause it was a mess.

IF you plan on changing your fluid and you pull the pan and see 1 inch of crud put it right back on and dump the old fluid in it and save yourself the time and money. Because most likely you will be doing more harm.

This is not to say dont just be aware of what could be in store.

anyone got a trnny cheap? LOL No seriously PM me if you do.

ok so what exactly does the chart recomend for a 95 mark VIII? i cant understand that chart?????

turborich said:
ok so what exactly does the chart recomend for a 95 mark VIII? i cant understand that chart?????

i didnt think it could be much clearer,but anyway,

it shows for the 4r70w transmission that from 1993-1997 use mercon,1998 and up use mercon v

I can NOT believe anyone would even consider using mercon III. That fluid is CRAP in comparison to Merc V. After only 13k miles on my rebuild, I started getting a shudder, needless to say after changing to Merc V everything was cured. No shudder for 25k miles on the Merc V and when I changed the fluid it was a night and day difference. I believe Merc III made my original tranny fail at 70k prematurely as well.

!!! 4r70w WORKS BETTER WITH MERCON V END OF STORY!!!

No matter what those retards at the dealership tell you, they will also tell you that you need to change your entire headlight assembly if your HID bulb burned out costing you $1800. Blah blah. I could go on and on. We had a person who engineered this tranny Jerry recommend Mercon V... but you should always use a cooler as well.

well i'll go along with what the dealership and tranny shops recomend. (mercon) 110,000 miles and no troubles at all with the trans. shifts perfect everytime. besides the mercon 5 is recomended for (some) 1996 and up ford cars, not 93-95. I'm pretty sure u can trust the words of 5 dealerships. mercon 5 might work just fine, not in my car though. just like some folks might use some funky weight of oil, i'll use the recomended weight.

turborich said:
well i'll go along with what the dealership and tranny shops recomend. (mercon) 110,000 miles and no troubles at all with the trans. shifts perfect everytime. besides the mercon 5 is recomended for (some) 1996 and up ford cars, not 93-95. I'm pretty sure u can trust the words of 5 dealerships. mercon 5 might work just fine, not in my car though. just like some folks might use some funky weight of oil, i'll use the recomended weight.

Rich Mercon 5 is TSB Reccomended for ALL electronic overdrive Ford Transmissions.

maxmk8 said:
!!! 4r70w WORKS BETTER WITH MERCON V END OF STORY!!!

No matter what those retards at the dealership tell you,

BINGO!!!

STEALERSHIP JACKASSES are total idiots. I wouldn't bring a Moped to a STEALERSHIP for service. they are trained Monkeys in a uniform.

I called three Stealers (Two Lincoln and one Ford) in my area - all three said they only use Mercon V.

Does anyone have the TSB number so it can be quoted to the numbnut Dealers who dont get it?!?!

Members online

No members online now.
Back