may be a dumb question, DO we have a 'posi' traction?

I haven't ever tried to burn the tires off like that. The other thing is........i just got new tires and don't want to be buying more sooner than later. But, with the old tires on it had seemed to burn pretty well.

mcafferty said:
nice but it was over a curb could this be done on level ground? lol

Yeah...I noticed that too. Seems like concrete would have a more porous surface and would be easier to power brake on. Dunno if I would try that in our LSE on asphalt but...it's cool nonetheless.

geeeeeeeeezzzzz - give it a try!!! it ain't hard, STOMP ON IT and hold the brake a bit, then ease up on the brake on walk it out..... it takes a little practice.

have some fun.

Pete02LSE said:
Yeah...I noticed that too. Seems like concrete would have a more porous surface and would be easier to power brake on. Dunno if I would try that in our LSE on asphalt but...it's cool nonetheless.

Concrete is far harder to spin wheels on. Thats why they make the starting lines of nearly every drag strip out of concrete. Its way easier on asphalt. I was on level ground.

I noticed when I did my burnout before drag racing, that once the RPMs get up to about 3K, the engine roars to life and sounds really cool. I never stayed in it as long as that video shows (no point w/ street tires), but like Quik says, once those RPMs get up there, let off the brake and walk it out. Looks impressive, but keep in mind that during a one-wheel-peel those spider gears in the diff are spinning (and wearing) like mad. I don't think there are nice beefy roller bearings between the side gears and carrier, just sleeve "bearings" (if you can really call them a bearing at all).

FWIW, there's nothing to break in the advance trac system, its just wheel speed sensors and a brake pump and some valving that is shared w/ the ABS. When it is turned off it does nothing to prevent a one-wheel-peel.

So, after hearing all this talk about burn-outs.........i finally decided to give it a try. I made sure to turn my advancetrac was OFF. Laid some pretty good rubber..........but instead of one black mark on the pavement, i had two streaks of rubber going for about 20 feet. I thought someone said the LS would only spin one wheel........so it seems weird to me that with my advancetrac OFF that i could lay two marks. Any ideas?

I lay two sets of rubber when I do burn outs also. I always turn my advancetrac off, I thought it had posi traction. The car is a 2000 V8. Can anyone get thier V6 to do a burn out?

If the weight of the car is even on both sides, and the planets are lined up just right, and you stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before, even an open differential can lay two patches. It's uncommon, but definately possible.

IF you really want to know if your car has a limited slip differential, lift up the rear end and turn one tire. If the opposite tire spins in the same direction, you have limited slip. IF it spins backwards, you have a peg leg.

I always lay down two stripes. there's a good 10 miles of rubber from me and my pocket book on the streets of austin.

not sure what happened with that person with the one wheel that lit up.....

Dutch said:
If the weight of the car is even on both sides, and the planets are lined up just right, and you stayed at a Holiday Inn the night before, even an open differential can lay two patches. It's uncommon, but definately possible.

IF you really want to know if your car has a limited slip differential, lift up the rear end and turn one tire. If the opposite tire spins in the same direction, you have limited slip. IF it spins backwards, you have a peg leg.

LOL!!! LOVE the Holiday inn part!! :)

Well was locking diff even an option?

any v6 burn outs, is it even possible.. punch it, pull ebrake.. lol

Motts said:
any v6 burn outs, is it even possible.. punch it, pull ebrake.. lol
I think thats called dragin ass.

My 00LS8 always leaves two black stipes of equal length and the ass end shifts to the left before it streightens out.

Why would you pull the ebrake? doesn't that lock the rear brakes???, isn't the goal to lock the front brakes and let the rear tires spin?

So does anyone have a locking or limited slip diff in their car, besides what is controlled by the TC??? I wonder if installing a LS diff would mess with the TC? I would think it would not hinder the TC just because what a LSD would do is more or less what the TC would do in a similar situation. Lose traction while accelerating and lock the rears together to gain traction versus applying brake to slipping side thus putting power to the opposite side essentially creating a simulated locked diff. Am I missing something? I am sure there are others out there that know alot more on this than I.

rocket5979 said:
So does anyone have a locking or limited slip diff in their car, besides what is controlled by the TC??? I wonder if installing a LS diff would mess with the TC? I would think it would not hinder the TC just because what a LSD would do is more or less what the TC would do in a similar situation. Lose traction while accelerating and lock the rears together to gain traction versus applying brake to slipping side thus putting power to the opposite side essentially creating a simulated locked diff. Am I missing something? I am sure there are others out there that know alot more on this than I.
There was no limited slip differential offered for the LS, and it would work independently of the traction control. A limited slip differential is a mechanical device with clutches that ensure the axles spin at more or less the same rate. Traction control uses the brake and, under extreme wheelspin, cuts fuel to limit spin. If you have limited slip, you can still spin your tires, they'll just both spin instead of one. Traction control would act by applying the brake to both wheels, and not just one. The two systems are totally independent and could be on the car without any problems. I don't know of any limited slip unit that would work, though. Maybe the Jaguar S-Type R has one...

Dutch said:
There was no limited slip differential offered for the LS, and it would work independently of the traction control. A limited slip differential is a mechanical device with clutches that ensure the axles spin at more or less the same rate. Traction control uses the brake and, under extreme wheelspin, cuts fuel to limit spin. If you have limited slip, you can still spin your tires, they'll just both spin instead of one. Traction control would act by applying the brake to both wheels, and not just one. The two systems are totally independent and could be on the car without any problems. I don't know of any limited slip unit that would work, though. Maybe the Jaguar S-Type R has one...

Hehehe. Maybe I didnt explain myself enough. First off I do know that LS's didnt come offered with an LSD rear. I just wanted to know if someone had put one in their car as an aftermarket item. I also do know how a LSD works. lol. One thing about the TC is when you said that the TC works by applying the brake to both wheels? I would think that in a situation where the one wheel peel is happening while accelerating that it would apply the brake to the side that is peeling, thus providing power to the other wheel that actually has traction. I would think that if the TC applied the brakes to both at the same time it would just cause too much of a hiccup in the acceleration of the vehicle to really be affective as a TC system that would give you control of the vehicle without making the vehicle lurch and all that. It would seem more plausible to have the system only applies the brakes to the one wheel while leaving the other one alone to both maximize speed and also maximize traction. Just by sitting down and thinking how the TC system would work I wouldnt think they would interfere with each other. Everytime I could think of where the TC would want to keep the rear open or a simulated locked mode that the LSD would be doing the same thing too. The only thing the LSD would do is when the TC is off it would be great for burnouts and staging at the dragstrip. Having a one wheel wonder is only cool on the street, if that. It would just provide better traction to launch is the biggest reason why I would want it.

I know of only one person who started to install a torsen LSD into a boneyard diff case for his LS. IIRC, he started w/ another Ford carrier from a Corbra, but there were some tricks he was going to have to do to get it to fit (can't remember what those tricks were). Overcome by other events, he passed this project onto the west coast LLSOC group to finish (still waiting).

Since off-the-line torque is not the 3.9L's strong suit, the real-world need for a LSD....... for drag racing purposes......... really isn't there. In wet conditions, the TC/Advance-Trac system can do the same job much more inexpensively for Lincoln, while providing a diff that requires much less maintenance. Better for Lincoln, better for 98% of LS buyers who don't drag race. In reality, unless you power-brake or have greasy tires, the LS hooks pretty good.

I seriously doubt that when the TC/AT system detects both rear wheels spinning that it applies brakes to BOTH rear wheels. I think it cuts engine power instead. I know for sure when I stomp it in the snow, there is no massive tug-o-war going on between the engine and the rear brakes.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
I know of only one person who started to install a torsen LSD into a boneyard diff case for his LS. IIRC, he started w/ another Ford carrier from a Corbra, but there were some tricks he was going to have to do to get it to fit (can't remember what those tricks were). Overcome by other events, he passed this project onto the west coast LLSOC group to finish (still waiting).
Chris started with a torsen diff unit that ford sells for any 8.8 and it fit a stock ls carrier pretty well, its just that he has so many other projects that he will not finish it anytime soon. I got him to send me a list of the parts that he used and will plan on trying to finish one with the manual trans conversion on my ls

JohnnyBz00LS said:
I seriously doubt that when the TC/AT system detects both rear wheels spinning that it applies brakes to BOTH rear wheels. I think it cuts engine power instead. I know for sure when I stomp it in the snow, there is no massive tug-o-war going on between the engine and the rear brakes.
You are correct there, the AT system just cuts the crap out of the power to kill the wheel spin when both tires let go.

JohnnyBz00LS said:
Since off-the-line torque is not the 3.9L's strong suit, the real-world need for a LSD....... for drag racing purposes......... really isn't there.

You assume we are talking about a stock LS. Muawuawuawawawaaa!!! I hear ya for stock purposes, but I dont plan on keeping my LS stock when I get it. Not going for supermonster power either, being that I dont care to spend the money to forge/billet the engine with custom CR's and Pistons. I would say that close to 400 flywheel would be good for me. The stock internals shouldnt puke out before then.

Members online

No members online now.
Back