MarkVIII Custom Audio Install

GMAN

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This makes the fourth Mark I'm doing this custom audio to. The plan is to run all new wires front and back, Infinity Kappa components in the front, Infinity Kappa 5X7's in the rear. More goodies will be added as this install progresses.
First I took out the factory tweeters, and used the tweeter housing for my Infinity tweeter.
000_0139.gif

This is that back of the tweeter housing with the speaker wire coming out.
000_0141.gif

When it goes back in the door panel it'll look completely stock.
000_0144.gif

The Trunk

The goal of this build is to still have all the trunk space available. I thought about keeping the spare tire in, but I decided that since this car will have 18's, no need to have a spare. so I decided to fiberglass the spare area to make an amp rack.
100_2825.gif

I'm also going to fiberglass my sub box with two 12's tucked neatly in the back. Stay tuned for more pic updates to come.
100_2822.gif

100_2822.gif

100_2824.gif

Good mock up...

Those kappas aren't going to cross to the 18's all that well though

You ever though of a dedicated 8" or 10" mid to make the drop off less severe?

Today, I mounted the GPS antenna, I placed it in the middle of the dash, and I mounted the microphone just above the A-piller
100_2826.gif

100_2827.gif

The airbag diagnostic module used to be secured by a bracket. The factory radio slid under it. Since I need more room, that bracket had to go and the module moved to the back.
100_2828.gif

Lots of RCA's I ended up running. Front, Rear, Sub, and Ipod cable. Nav unit is ready to go in now.
100_2830.gif

Every thing looked pretty good, I forgot to run the RCA for the reverse camera, so everything back out again.

LOL! Totally read that wrong!

I thought you were putting 18" subs... not rims LOL!

Comprehension pwns me!

Disregard all previous

Should be killer

I would just kill the rear stage but thats me ;)

What do you mean?

hes referring (i think :)) to the rear speakers (back seat) ive heard that alot on some stereo sites, and after i blew one of my rear speakers i disconnected both of them, while its ok i did notice it wasnt as loud

hes referring (i think :)) to the rear speakers (back seat) ive heard that alot on some stereo sites, and after i blew one of my rear speakers i disconnected both of them, while its ok i did notice it wasnt as loud

That's interesting... I've often wondered what the stereo would sound like without the rear speakers and if I'd even notice. Might experiment with that idea one day.

Well, since there's a spot there, I might as well fill it. Actually, it gives my cabin sounds better with four speakers going.

Well here is the deal with rears... They are nothing but filler... and if you build the front sound stage correctly and power it the right way the rears are obsolete anyways.

You will get a more correct tonal width and depth with just the fronts and the natural reflection it will provide.

I bi-amped the fronts in my Alfa in the other thread and it was amazing...

I plan on just installing a 3 way component system when I build the system in the Mark.

Think about it this way... Music is and always will be two channels. You ever go to a concert where there is a band behind you or speakers back there? No...

Stick the money on rears into better power, wiring, deadener or something for the front and you will be better off:)

yeah stack thts what ive heard before, i just through some cheap blaupnkt (sp?) 3 way 5x7's in there like 30 bux, but ive considered rewiring the fronts components so one channel runs the woofer and the other runs the tweeter and just leaving the rear out

Well, since there's a spot there, I might as well fill it. Actually, it gives my cabin sounds better with four speakers going.

the reason a lot of people ditch the rear speakers is for imaging. correct imaging puts everything front and center so when there are 2 more speakers behind you also playing highs, its pulls the soundstage behind you. right now my setup consists of a set of 4 inch seperates in the tweeter spot and a 6.5 in the door for midbass with no rear speakers at all and it images really well. you will lose some output considering your running half the ammount of speakers but in my specific application theyre not needed. its all about what your specific goals for the system are. nice lookin setup so far, i can tell you know what your doing

Members online

Back