Mark VIII with a short wheel base (pics)

LoL wow that thing looks like a... I dont know... something that makes me throwup though...

I've seen drag racers move the axles closer together inorder to shorten the wheel bases of their cars.

Thats been around for a while. I remeber seeing it when I was in high school and REALLY active on the other BIG board. I have nothing but respect for someone that can do that with a car, and have it turn out like it did.

94m5 said:
Thats been around for a while. I remeber seeing it when I was in high school and REALLY active on the other BIG board. I have nothing but respect for someone that can do that with a car, and have it turn out like it did.
As bizarre as it is I could not even to begin that sort of project. that like belongs on MonsterGarage or something. My hats off to the guy.

94m5 said:

Pretty much what I was getting at, tastes aside.

he was originally going to build 800 or so of them for Ford Racing, for a special class of racing. They only needed 8 or so cars to race, but in order to qualify it had to be a production car, so he had to make a mass of them. The project fell through, and he only made a hand full of them. So that is why.
-Thomas

How is it a short wheel base? It looks regular, just at angles that give it the optical illusion of being shorter. It looks just like he put two together.

You can't deny the guy is good at what he does. It's tough to tell where he took out the 8", and the finished car looks good. But I kinda liked the bobtailed look; except that it was bobtailed by pushing the trunk in! :eek:

MrWilson said:
How is it a short wheel base? It looks regular, just at angles that give it the optical illusion of being shorter. It looks just like he put two together.
Optical illusion? No, look again. Definately a short wheelbase.

WhiteLightnin'LSC said:
Optical illusion? No, look again. Definately a short wheelbase.

I could take a chickens head and paste it onto a squirrels bodys but it doesnt make it a chicken squirrel... I dont really believe anything I see online until I see it in real life cause people online are lame and have nothing better to do

KainDTE said:
I could take a chickens head and paste it onto a squirrels bodys but it doesnt make it a chicken squirrel... I dont really believe anything I see online until I see it in real life cause people online are lame and have nothing better to do
Did you look at the pictures? It shows the whole process. I think it's a little hard to "fake" the pictures where the car is cut up.

KainDTE said:

actually it does make it a chicken squirrel. :p im hungery now.

KainDTE said:

actually it does make it a chicken squirrel. :p im hungery now.

now that i take a second look at it, it does look to be shortened. The rear seat is right up against the front. But i gotta give him props, i cant even tell where he took off " 's.

mark3.jpg

Look at mr wilsons sig then the short viii, if you cant tell were the 8" came from your blind, hint look behind the 1/4 class or the tire to the door distance

SWB Lincoln, Mark VIII

Hi
I realize this is a very old post but I just had to jump in, I don't get around a computer to offten, I'm to busy building custom cars, Yes the SWB Mark VIII is real! (not photo shopped) it is the six one I built the other 5 where Thunderbirds. The reason WHY ? is simply Why not! a different view of what is cool, neat, practical or wanted is enough to have the disire to perform any task, If it weren't then we would all be driving like 1985 LTD station wagons with wood-grain trim!
Ford had built one SWB Thunderbird as a test mule (prototype) back in 1990 it was 101 inch wheelbase, to compete with the Vette. Road and Track did an article on it and other cars "At red line no one can hear you scream". Back in the spring of 1990 I had a new Mustang GT, I moved from Denver to Lincoln, Ne. had a little extra time to kill so I chopped the top on my 89 Mustang GT it caught the atention of lots of folks, as well as Kenny Brown (Project Industries) in Omaha, Ne. At the time Kenny was working with a few guys at Ford and trying to work a angle on the short-wheelbase Thunderbird program to go racing ect. At a Mustang car show in Omaha the summer of 1990 Kenny seen my chopped Mustang and he knew he had found the guy to contine what he had in mind. He had a few (bodies in white) from Ford and had a local shop try to modify one, needless to say it went very wrong. He invited me to his shop, I looked at the atempted one, and knew it was a gonener I walked over to the other body shell, studied it for a few minutes and started marking on it with a marker, made a few mentions of what could and couldn't be done, and watched him light up with excitement! The very next day his son Paul trailered the shell down to my shop and within one week I had the body shell shortened 8 inches prep and paintd it looked GOOD!
Yes it is true the Idea was to build 300 to 800 units, talks with other custom car builders even took place. Many magazines covered a few of the cars but things never really caught on. so only six units were built right here in my shop, Auto Kraft body and paint in Lincoln, Nebraska.

We also build and restore many classics and vintage race cars ect. but my latest exciting project is a new style rotisserie check it out www.rollerhoop.com it to will need time to catch on.:) Just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents worth, we also plan on updating both our web sites and plan to show more of the SWB cars.
Regards,

Doug Kielian
Auto Kraft body and paint

Members online

No members online now.
Back