Mark VIII Cruiser Extraordinaire

olddavid

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I've just recently come back into the fold after a brief two year foray into German car hell. They do handle magnificently. The engineering? It's almost like they are showing off by looking for answers to questions no one is asking. I'm recently retired, and since I'm a gearhead, my wife has only asked that she not be subjected to my ongoing project cars and that said projects be sensible on a fixed budget. In other words, pay cash and maintain it yourself. A great 1998 LSC came to me through a bizarre CList ad - "Buick Mark VIII for sale". Had it been listed correctly, it would have sold the evening it was first posted, as we have an active community of Mark drivers in the Portland, Oregon area. The owner had a progressive vision disease and a wife that preferred her Jeep to the Lincoln. He was tired of watching it deteriorate as it had only gone 1000 miles since the brakes were done in 2004. Long story short, I bought it. I have changed all fluids to give me a baseline, cleaned the spotless leather with saddle soap and mink oil, and that's it for now. I'm without one low beam, but an attempted repair by the previous owner with a separate switch(?) has me baffled, and he is currently hospitalized, so bothering him is not a possibility. Perhaps I should assume the ballast and the bulb are out? I want to keep the car original, right down to the unobtainium light bulbs. I considered a sensor lowering, but my wife reminded me that I'm well into my sixth decade on earth, and should leave the lower cars to someone more age appropriate. When you've been together for 27 years, you do not automatically defend your opinion, you marshal your resources for more important arguments, like larger tires, or different wheel combinations. Anyway, the car went on it's first road trip this last week. Why I ever considered anything else for my road car is confusing to my out-of-warranty brain. At 70-80 mph with occasional bursts to 110, our car achieved 24.8 mpg. Over an 800+ mile journey. The climate control kept us comfortable whether at altitude in Glacier Park, or on the freeways of eastern Washington/Oregon, even when extending the driving day to 14 hours because of a flight deadline. I've spent my whole life in the car business, from lot lizard to authorized signature, and have driven few cars that deliver such a satisfying experience - let alone from a 15 year old car with 100,000 miles on it. My previous Mark was a 1995 that needed much work, but was a good introductory experience for me. I love them all, and do not want to alienate you first generation guys, but the switchgear and overall quality of materials is a definite upgrade in this car. That said, I much prefer the look of the thin shark-nosed GenI cars. It reminds me of trying to decide whether I want my million dollars in $100's or gold - I'm still getting grade A. This weekend, I intend to address my headlight issue while deciding whether to purchase Goodrich All-weather tires, or go all out and buy Blizzaks for the expected journeys to Alberta this winter to see and aid my 84 year old Mother. As well as also figuring whether it's worth getting two sets of rims to facilitate tire switches. I do love those factory directionals, and was thinking of some painted ones to go with the chrome set on the car. Another plus to Mark ownership is this LVC club and it's institutional knowledge - as well as your willingness to share your experiences with all comers, regardless of any factor save the desire to keep a great car on the road. I am sure glad to be back. This time I've learned my lesson, I'm keeping this jewel in the family, and, at my age it's probably going to last for the remainder of this road trip. Thanks to everybody - in advance - for all info I am sure to get in the upcoming years. As well as for your forbearance of my ignorance. Great to be back in the fold. Now, if we could just get Ford to build a rear drive V8 powered luxury-cruiser coupe, I maybe could convince my dear wife to part with our money for a car one last time. But, probably not, because for the $75,000 it would sell for, I could rotissarie a '96 with all second Gen upgrades, finish my '53 Hudson, complete Mom's '67 Ambassador and keep $20,000 to spend on hotels and greens fees for the great courses I could play with the savings. See you all in future posts.

Glad to hear your back in a mk8. Sounds like you scored a nice one. How about some pics? Remove all the wiring stuff other guy did and start from stage one. You can get used bulbs and ballasts no problem. As for the Blizzacks make sure you get another set of rims. Those tires are super soft and not really made for summer driving. They will wear really fast in summer. You can score stock set of rims cheap. I also like the thin nose of a Gen 1. Good luck with her and keep us posted.

Can I just mention that your posts are very enjoyable to read? You have a great writing style.:) Sounds like you found a great car. Enjoy it!

I am humbled by your compliment. Thank you. My car is the same color as yours, and perfect for me, as I prefer no sunroof and my car hasn't got one. I am a Luddite when it comes to anything other than keystrokes on this computer. That's why we have children, and my late life "surprise" is our IT support guy. We'll have pics soon, so I can document my progress. You know when you experience something and it seems weirdly familiar, like you've done it previously? When I went around the corner to see this car sitting in the driveway, I knew I wasn't leaving without it. I even had just enough cash - to the dollar - to close the deal. When I'm under it in the driveway when it's raining I'll sing a different tune, but right now even vacuuming the trunk seems like fun - not work. Thank you again.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new ride, I do remember seeing it on our local CL. As for this active Mark VIII community here in Portland I've only met a couple. Would love to meet more of you, also might be able to help you out with some headlight parts as I just swapped mine to aftermarket recently.

Members online

Back