Mark VII Headlight Upgrades - Pics Please!

Lscr1

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm about to go through the process of removing my headlights, sanding them down and removing the haze that burdens most Fords/Lincolns. I've seen HID and Xenon Kits but fully understand that these are almost as close to sealed beams as you can get. I know that an HID wouldn't cast properly with a good a quality cut off point. Plus, these are plastic lenses and I've seen what too much heat can do the housings as well as the wiring.

I'd like to go for something a bit different as an upgrade. What are you guys running? I wouldn't mind upgrading the wiring harness (eliminating the switched power) to improve and going with a hyper/crisp white with a bit of a blue hue to it.

Post Pics, Part#'s, etc. A relay harness recommendation would be great. I gave up on Daniel Stern Lighting after 3 e-mails.

Thanks!

:Beer

I thought HID's were supposed to burn cooler than a standard halogen bulb? At least, that's what I've heard...

I thought HID's were supposed to burn cooler than a standard halogen bulb? At least, that's what I've heard...

This is true. Alot of the first gen VIII guys run them and they'er headlights are much smaller and narrower than the VII. No one I know of has had heat problems form them.

The only straight "upgrade" you can do is a relay harness and wet sanding the lenses.

Are you still rockin' the original LSC-R? Where abouts in VA are you?

The only straight "upgrade" you can do is a relay harness and wet sanding the lenses.

Are you still rockin' the original LSC-R? Where abouts in VA are you?

Do you have any links, product recommendations for a harness? I've done a few HID Conversions before and noticed that 80w+ seems to run a bit warmer. I know they run cooler and draw less. Anything ready to go out of the box?

Yes i am :) i tried reaching out to Paul from SVPU but never heard anything back. The car is in dire need of a mild resto. It seems like allot of the old gang from FVC and even here have sort of disappeared. I'm also having a hard time finding parts. Good to hear from you. And you're still rockin the original Avatar i see.

I'm located in Alexandria, VA.

This is true. Alot of the first gen VIII guys run them and they'er headlights are much smaller and narrower than the VII. No one I know of has had heat problems form them.

BTW - Nice looking Mark VIII !

Do you have any links, product recommendations for a harness? I've done a few HID Conversions before and noticed that 80w+ seems to run a bit warmer. I know they run cooler and draw less. Anything ready to go out of the box?

Yes i am :) i tried reaching out to Paul from SVPU but never heard anything back. The car is in dire need of a mild resto. It seems like allot of the old gang from FVC and even here have sort of disappeared. I'm also having a hard time finding parts. Good to hear from you. And you're still rockin the original Avatar i see.

I'm located in Alexandria, VA.

There is no off-the-shelf harness that I know of. The best option is probably making one yourself. It is not difficult, and I am pretty sure Daniel Stern has it spelled out. You do not want 80W HIDs, either! 55W are just fine, and the same wattage as stock. Drop in HID replacements are horrible in the Mark VII housings, though.

There never was much VII support here, and the crew at FVC has all but disappeared. The best luck anymore is thelincolnmarkviiclub.org, and even that is nothing major. I sold my last VII three years ago, but still have a few parts if you are looking for anything.

Alexandria is not that far, I will try to let you know the next time I am down that way.

I miss FvC. Never was a ton of Mark VIII or Mark IV guys on there, but I just liked the atmosphere of the Hot Rod Lincolns section over there. Plus it was a goldmine of information about the Mark VII.

There is no off-the-shelf harness that I know of. The best option is probably making one yourself. It is not difficult, and I am pretty sure Daniel Stern has it spelled out. You do not want 80W HIDs, either! 55W are just fine, and the same wattage as stock. Drop in HID replacements are horrible in the Mark VII housings, though.

There never was much VII support here, and the crew at FVC has all but disappeared. The best luck anymore is thelincolnmarkviiclub.org, and even that is nothing major. I sold my last VII three years ago, but still have a few parts if you are looking for anything.

Alexandria is not that far, I will try to let you know the next time I am down that way.

Mespock - Thanks for the product recommendation! Good price.

JoshMcMadMac - With regards to the factory housings, that's exactly what I was affraid of. Since these housings aren't obviously made to cast HID lighting, is there an issue with where the light is cast/ cutoff point or making adjustments?

JoshMcMadMac - With regards to the factory housings, that's exactly what I was affraid of. Since these housings aren't obviously made to cast HID lighting, is there an issue with where the light is cast/ cutoff point or making adjustments?

Yes, major glare.

Oh come on! Put some HID's in there! They're awesome looking lights and burn brighter, cooler, and longer than halogens. I put a set in the hi beams on my '97 LSC (factory hi's were halogen) and polished my lenses and I can actually see at night now! HID's are amazing. And how much night driving do you do anyway? Unless they cut off 10 feet from the front bumper, you'll get plenty of light and be able to see 10 times better than you ever could with even the best halogens. HID is the future dude! Incandescents are the epitome of obsolescence. Time to step into the 21st century. Anyhoo...I'm just kidding. It's your car. Do what you like. But I can almost guarantee you'll be more than pleased with a good plug-n-play HID kit for your car. I know I was.

Members online

No members online now.
Back