Mark taking a LONG time to start, runs perfect once started, can't figure it out

opalescent 96

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
1996 Mark with a walbro 255 pump, has exhaust and a blue oval tune

I'm having what I'm sure is a fuel related starting issue. When started cold it will crank forever and won't catch.

I've cycled the key on and hear the pump prime every time. Even after priming on and off a few times it will still crank or start with somewhat success. If i tickle the gas at this point it will start and it's never left me stranded but this condition seems to be getting worse. Once it fires it will run lumpy for a second or two then smooth out. If I let go of the key sometimes it will pause a second then fire.

After it starts it runs PERFECT. It really runs amazing after it gets going. It has all new 02's, plugs last 6k miles, new wires last 10k miles, just replaced the fuel filter with no change.

The walbro fuel pump has less then 10k miles. After I installed this pump the car took a second or two longer to start then before but these days this condition is much worse and it doesn't start first try like it used to. I'm certain that this pump loses it prime overnight or in a few hours... I've heard this is normal for this pump?

Another thing is after cranking when I let go of the key I hear a rustling noise from what sounds like the fuel tank

Thank you for reading this and I appreciate all of your guys ideas!

I wonder if it is the IAC instead of fuel related. I would guess the sound you hear is all the fuel rushing back to the tank from the return line. Try just barely cracking open the throttle and keeping it in one place and see if that helps.

I wonder if it is the IAC instead of fuel related. I would guess the sound you hear is all the fuel rushing back to the tank from the return line. Try just barely cracking open the throttle and keeping it in one place and see if that helps.

I hope it's not the IAC that was horrifying. It's got a new Motorcraft one about 6k miles ago.

Yeah I figured that's what that sound was too.

Thanks I'll try that

Today I'm going to put the fresher battery from my other car in it and see if that makes any difference

You really need a fuel pressure gauge to pinpoint or discard the fuel pump as suspect.

So I fixed the issue yesterday and it was the ground next to the battery.

I loosened the 8mm bolt that secures it and moved the ground a while back and it chipped the paint under the ground. So looking at the bottom of the ground it had paint chips stuck to it. I didn't realize until yesterday when I took a good look at it.

Cleaned the paint off and it's good to go! Starts right up now!

My Mark always cranks a few seconds the first time I turn it on, but then it starts right up everytime after that....its weird, she runs great though. I have a bosch pump and regulator.

Soooo it's NOT fixed :(

I've also replaced the camshaft position sensor, crankshaft position sensor, ran another ground from the block to the body and the battery to the body.

I checked the fuel pressure, with the key on it jumps to 36 psi

IN the morning it usually starts up first try but at night it takes a few tries. It will just craank and crank then i'll turn it back to off then on... by the third or fourth try it starts.

I checked the voltage at the coil packs, the 'B+' terminal in the middle and it read .34 volt not 12.00 volts??? The reading will flucuate between .20 to .40 volts. Something can't be right here because how can it start at all with suck low voltage? The reading was the same at both coils

Thanks for reading!

Have you done an OBD11 scan for any latent codes (maybe cam sensor working intermittent). Can you re-install the old chip and try to see if the symptoms are still present.

Have you done an OBD11 scan for any latent codes (maybe cam sensor working intermittent). Can you re-install the old chip and try to see if the symptoms are still present.

I have. It only gives me a p1000 because i've disconnected the battery

I could put it back to stock I guess with the tuner, I might end up trying that

Right now I'm suspecting the coil packs or the pcm or the tune maybe or starter solenoid idk...

Yes, I have 11K miles ago. Walbro 255. The fuel pressure checks out. If anything the car smells kinda rich when it gets going. I bought new coils. Hopefully they help the issue.

Members online

Back