mark power plant in a 67 fairlane

I guess what I am trying to convey is if you throw technology at 281 cubic inches and get X hp then why can't I throw technology at a 427 and get X times 2 hp
that is why there is no replacement for displacement
Why else did ford go from a 4.6 to a 5.0 in the gt and now a 5.4 to a 5.8 in the gt 500

Dude big blocks are the next level in HP. Its just an FE thing where they don't make huge hp#'s and if they make medium power they cost a ton. All engines can be made to run good just FE stuff so rare and pricey.

I guess what I am trying to convey is if you throw technology at 281 cubic inches and get X hp then why can't I throw technology at a 427 and get X times 2 hp
that is why there is no replacement for displacement
Why else did ford go from a 4.6 to a 5.0 in the gt and now a 5.4 to a 5.8 in the gt 500

And don't forget the 6.2L "Hurricane" in the F-Series. I wouldn't be surprised if that engine shows up in a Mustang model in the future.

Either way, I agree. For a daily driver, a small block pushrod or OHC V-8 is just fine. And they can be made to run like scalded dogs. But for sheer face stretching low-end torque, you can't beat a big block. The 460 in my '71 Connie could sqhish me back in the seat at the slightest nudge of the throttle. It could also melt a set of rear tires on a whim. You can't beat 500 foot-pounds of stock torque! Although the "385" Series is nice, I've got a soft spot for the FE. I love 390's and 427's! I'm also a big fan of the MEL block. They are getting extremely rare. My '62 Connie had an MEL 430 V-8. Love those engines!!!

I talk ed to a guy some of you may have heard of Jay brown
He runs a sohc 427 in pump gas drags n/a I think he said on a safe tune and compression he was 800 hp
http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0908_ford_427_cammer_build/viewall.html

I don't know him, but the 427 SOHC kicks A$$!!! If I recall correctly, those engines put out about 660hp from the factory in '63/'64. They may be rare and expensive, but if I ever win the lottery, you bet you arse I'll have a '64 Galaxie fastback with a 427 SOHC in it!!!

So technology can make a 4.6 into a hp1000+ motor n/a
well here is a bbf not an fe but lets see a small block get hp1400 n/a like this one
http://www.racingjunk.com/Drag-Racing/2330695/Sonny-s-636-cu.-in-Pro-Mod-Engine.html

OK I'm home now and your now stepping into my territory so to speak. #1 that engine is not a big block, it is a complete technology built engine of humongous proportions! They are 70 to 100K custom built engines for one purpose pretty much.

Then I have an acquaintance that has 2 brand new 427 SOHC engines and 1 in an AFX Falcon that was raced. Those engines were never installed in a car stock. They are racing engines and the 800HP deal was a farce as the engine was so far from stock as to not even be funny.

I'm not saying the 4.6 is the end all be all in any way as I also built 6 or 7 Lightning engines that were in the 600 to 800 pump gas range and 2 GT engines that were 1000HP pump gas.

I had a 390 FE in my F100 and loved the engine but that was in the 80's and there is so much better since then it's not funny. Same as I would love to have a ARDUN Hemi headed Flat Head block but they would only be for nostalgia sake as it only has 3 main bearings so it can't safely make much power. Just like an FE block. I lost my love for any of the old FOMOCO engines as soon as I got my first MOD engine and yes I would like to stroke mine to a 5.0 too.

attachment.php

Now this is a big block.... ;)

Wow that is beautiful. I have one of those models or die cast in a display case. I believe it is 1/6 scale. It's the crate SOHC 427 with two 4 barrels and the oval Cobra air cleaner. I remember when I could have bought brand new ones in the crate for $1,500.00 I saw on ebay for 45,000 Thats one of the thinks I love about the 4.6 it looks very similar.

Wow that is beautiful. I have one of those models or die cast in a display case. I believe it is 1/6 scale. It's the crate SOHC 427 with two 4 barrels and the oval Cobra air cleaner. I remember when I could have bought brand new ones in the crate for $1,500.00 I saw on ebay for 45,000 Thats one of the thinks I love about the 4.6 it looks very similar.

Remember if it was located in NJ?

Last I heard the guy I knew was selling his SOHC's as his retirement fund.

That isn't a cammer.... That's 1100 cubic inches of Sherman tank goodness...

Haha yeah just as big..with a fraction of the cubic inches and power unfortunately, one of the downfalls of these mod motors.

if I had a cammer,it would be in an ac.
http://www.colinsclassicauto.com/detail.php?car=196

i have seen one cammer in my life. it belongs to an old timer that lives in my area. it is in his old ford i think it was a 39. he was originally from so cal, he got a hold of it from blown up drag cars. I could swear he said don garlits old stuff, it was like 10 years ago.. cool old guy with cool old stories. the funny thing was i did not see one other person gawk under the hood of that old car. I was like 20.
http://www.colinsclassicauto.com/detail.php?car=196

Who made those tank motors ??? What kind of rpm's and power did they make ??? I thought it had 3 deuces but I now see its 3 x 4 barrels. Oh I agree cammers look good in a AC Cobra. I would like to find a Cobra kit car made to use components from a Mark VIII.

Who made those tank motors ??? What kind of rpm's and power did they make ??? I thought it had 3 deuces but I now see its 3 x 4 barrels. Oh I agree cammers look good in a AC Cobra. I would like to find a Cobra kit car made to use components from a Mark VIII.

Yes, it's a Ford engine made for Sherman Tanks, literally.
500 hp / 1050 ft-lbs of torque at 2200 RPM :eek:

Of course, that's pre-mods with 2 2-bbl Carbs.....

http://mechdb.com/index.php/Ford_1100_ci_Sherman_tank_engine

Oh man that mustang with the tank engine is not going to cut it at strip. 960 pounds in race form.

It's a Ford GAA all aluminum engine, the fore runner to our 4 cam mod motors. Was originally a V12 designed for aircraft.

Members online

No members online now.
Back