Mark 8 Maintenace Solutions,Recommendations, and Questions

Merk1n_Season

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I made this thread specifically for maintenace solutions and recommendations to the mark 8 since im new to it all. Info about product quality and experience with the product would be greatly appreciated.:rolleyes:

We have an entire section that covers this,

Welcome to LVC :)

My first question is. My car has 108,000 miles on it since i got about a month ago. I saw this tune up kit on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/TUNE-UP-SET...n|Model:Mark+VIII&hash=item27c7430f42&vxp=mtr. It includes a PCV valve in the kit. How often is PCV valve suppose to be replaced ? Second questions is should i change the valve cover gaskets at the same time im doing coils and plugs. Usually at around what mileage does the valve cover gaskets need to be replaced.

Spark plug seals, but they're part of the gasket kit for the valve covers. Or a dead engine, I guess. Or a lawn knome screwing with you. It'd be cool if it was anything else, huh? Although, sparkly valve covers are a definite plus. Okay. I'm done. :shifty: :D

If you're comfortable with loosening the motor mounts and lifting the engine about 1 1/2 inches, not so much. There's quite a little passle of things to undo on the driver's side, but apparently lifting the engine does away with some of them. Patience is the key here, but powder-coated or cerma-chromed covers are worth it in my book. I'll be getting mine done in the next two weeks.

You should replace gaskets and seals as often as you want them to not leak anymore, changing them before they leak is almost unheard of

thanks guys and hot*mk8 post pics here of these sparkly valve covers when you get them done lol

Oh ya, baby!!! I've been working on a color scheme forever. I do have a very small leak right now but will not let it get to the point that the 98 was... plugs swimming and nearly off the threads. I just put high dollar plugs in and most certainly don't want them to get ruined. Even at 62K miles, my honey is turning 16 in March. We are both Pisces. Watch out.

anybody use BWD ignition coils. I have been looking for motorcraft ones but they are lik 37 dollars a peice or more. Is it that all ignition coils are the same it's just the longevity of them varies by brand

anybody use BWD ignition coils. I have been looking for motorcraft ones but they are lik 37 dollars a peice or more. Is it that all ignition coils are the same it's just the longevity of them varies by brand

I'm a motorcraft fan but I can honestly say, I purchased 2 BWD coils for my late cordovan before I sold it. It ran perfectly fine. I'm currently having coil issues with my BoB. I'm planning on going with the cheaper brand for now. There's a few guys on the LINCOLN LS side that have been running cheap coils for over 14-16 months & still running great. The key is to swap coils & plugs. Don't just do one or the other. Keep everything fresh & new.

Check out these Accel's. They look good. Nice price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCEL-Super...n|Model:Mark+VIII&hash=item56516acdf0&vxp=mtr

By the way as for the gasket? I don't think you need to worry about that now unless the odometer on that car isn't reading the actual mileage or if that car sat for over a year without starting. From what I've seen on this forum I don't think I've heard of anyone having fouled up plug wells until they are well into 170k, 180k & sometimes even way more. It all depends on the individual care of the owner.

yea i dont mind motor craft but im changing all 8 coils and plugs at one time and coils alone are like $300 for 8

I'm a motorcraft fan but I can honestly say, I purchased 2 BWD coils for my late cordovan before I sold it. It ran perfectly fine. I'm currently having coil issues with my BoB. I'm planning on going with the cheaper brand for now. There's a few guys on the LINCOLN LS side that have been running cheap coils for over 14-16 months & still running great. The key is to swap coils & plugs. Don't just do one or the other. Keep everything fresh & new.

Check out these Accel's. They look good. Nice price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACCEL-Super...n|Model:Mark+VIII&hash=item56516acdf0&vxp=mtr

By the way as for the gasket? I don't think you need to worry about that now unless the odometer on that car isn't reading the actual mileage or if that car sat for over a year without starting. From what I've seen on this forum I don't think I've heard of anyone having fouled up plug wells until they are well into 170k, 180k & sometimes even way more. It all depends on the individual care of the owner.

I saw the same accel coils on ebay for 98 dollars I think i might go with those i also saw some that are 78 dollars from 1Auto

Merk1n, I'm getting a vibe of a novice when it comes to maintenance on the Mark. I highly suggest you find a good shop to do the work you need. Memories of Ripped Camel comes to mind.:rolleyes:

This is my first mark viii and i have a shop that will do the work. Im just weighing all of my options from different products. I dont have time or the money go out on a limb and try something that i have no idea about

This is my first mark viii and i have a shop that will do the work. Im just weighing all of my options from different products. I dont have time or the money go out on a limb and try something that i have no idea about

My opinion, stick with all Motorcraft parts. You cannot go wrong.

I have spark plugs, oil filter, that are motor craft but i was trying to get coils but they are 37 bucks a peice. I plan on changing all 8 at the same time

I can swap all 8 coil packs & plugs for you in 45 minutes at my house ANY DAY THIS WEEK for FREE (except tomorrow because of my grandmother's eye surgery). That's SUPER EASY! I work from home so I'm here. I'm working on my cars ALL THE TIME!

Members online

No members online now.
Back