Making a Hot Rod Lincoln

I don't know much about engines beside general maintenance, but man, that TC looks great, the rims, tinted headlights, what % tint, and is it lowered?

Keep in mind, you *must* also reflash the PCM/have it tuned if you change the rear axle ratio on the 2003 and newer cars to correct the speedometer (and shift schedules)

Also, I'd advise against 4.10s, especially if this is your d/d. You will experience significant driveline vibration at fast highway speeds, and there is no light-weight driveshaft option for your vehicle available (one would have to be custom made)

3.73 is the highest I'd go, and even at that you will start to feel vibration around 70mph. Besides the NVH concern, this vibration causes premature wear of driveline components.

Some related basic upgrade info you may find useful;
www.crownvic.net/drock96marquis/MZT.htm

I don't know much about engines beside general maintenance, but man, that TC looks great, the rims, tinted headlights, what % tint, and is it lowered?

Thanks. Its got stock size 18 inch rims, Tinted headlights and tailights. And I painted the grill with some chrome tint to match the paint. The tint % on front is the leagle one in MO 30% i think? and like 60% in back i dont remember the numbers exactly. Its also got flowmasters. Got a few cosmetics i still plan to do :) I like it because not many fix em up like this w/o 28in rims. nothing against it just trying to make it different!

That's all good - for the love of God, do not 'Tonka-truck' that damned TC. I still don't understand how that trend got started, and I'm from the block. It's retarded.

A few, other, simple mods you could do would be replace the spark plugs and ignition coils with high performance ones. I put accel ignition coils on my town car and it gave it a quicker response from the throttle.

Just say NO to accel coils

yellow coils do not make your car faster.

"hotter coils" do not make your car faster.

Once the initial spark has started the flamefront, adding hotter spark does not help.

Do this..
Put some gas in a can..toss one match into the can... notice the flames
now put the same amount of gas in a can, and toss in TWO matches
DID you get MORE fire?
NOPE.

The same applies to gasoline engines, once you have "lit" the fire, it's done.
the difference between 40,000 volts and 60,000 volts isn't gonna make "MORE BANG".

Aftermarket coils are a FARCE.
usually they are just stock coils that failed the first round of inspection and are SOLD OFF to the aftermarket, who paint them yellow or RED and then puts them in "bridge mode" which increases the output, and shortens the life..and doesnt add a SINGLE HP to your car.

Bridgemode..A coil has two "phases"
"Crank" and "RUN"
"Crank" has more voltage to help light off a stone cold combustion chamber, usually on the order of 20,000 volts more.

Running a coil in full time "Crank mode" does not increase performance as stated above.

You can also downsize the wheels to 16 inch rims as long as they match the lug pattern and fit over the brakes. This will give you lighter unsprung weight for handling and a lower ride, not to mention the same improvement as increasing your rear axle torque except that here you do it at the end of the line where the rubber meets the road. This means you're putting performance above show-off style, just like those who run rallyes do with their rides. It's a question of whether you want to look cool cruisin' the strip or to rip up the strip being cool.

Vic

You and everyone else who has a crownvic, or merc with a 4.6 wants more power, heres the deal, i fyou want power go get a box with a 5.0 in it and build that, other wise kiss you paycheck bybye for a while 4.6 motors ar expensive to build, while i dont ,and probably wont build one for some time here is what i would do. XE262 cams, trickflow heads,cobra intake 24 lb injectors, teksid block,forged internales,and setup for spray. in addition i would have a built trans and converter as well as the rear end beefed up probably run 4.10 gears. the other side to this equation would involve the use of a blower used one can be had for a fraction of what they cost new. you could also do the junkyard turbo route, if thats your game, it all depedns on what you wish to do.oooooor you could do a 302 swap ... your call.

Just say NO to accel coils

yellow coils do not make your car faster.

"hotter coils" do not make your car faster.

Once the initial spark has started the flamefront, adding hotter spark does not help.

Do this..
Put some gas in a can..toss one match into the can... notice the flames
now put the same amount of gas in a can, and toss in TWO matches
DID you get MORE fire?
NOPE.

The same applies to gasoline engines, once you have "lit" the fire, it's done.
the difference between 40,000 volts and 60,000 volts isn't gonna make "MORE BANG".

Aftermarket coils are a FARCE.
usually they are just stock coils that failed the first round of inspection and are SOLD OFF to the aftermarket, who paint them yellow or RED and then puts them in "bridge mode" which increases the output, and shortens the life..and doesnt add a SINGLE HP to your car.

Bridgemode..A coil has two "phases"
"Crank" and "RUN"
"Crank" has more voltage to help light off a stone cold combustion chamber, usually on the order of 20,000 volts more.

Running a coil in full time "Crank mode" does not increase performance as stated above.

What would be the projected life cycle on these coils?? And what issues would they create over time??

Members online

Back