Making a Hot Rod Lincoln

Kyleef

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey I was wondering if anyone has some basic recommendations to bump up the horse power on my lincoln. Its a 2004. IT already has dual flowmasters running out the back but I am wondering if anyone knows a good preformance programmer? or some other affordable mods

IMG_0215.jpg

Welcome to LVC. Try the search function before you try writing a new thread. It's just good forum manners. Where in missouri are you.

yeah i checked but didnt see any for around my year. Im located in St. Louis

The only programming solution I would trust for an OBD2 ford car is the SCT ProRacer package...along with an Xcal 2

Based on recent issues with the new X-3 devices I wouldn't get one of those.
I'd find a used Xcal 2 on ebay and then get the software directly from an SCT dealer.

There are cheaper tuning solutions, but saving a few dollars in a tuning solution is not the area you should be bargain shopping.

In that big ass heavy car, GEARS, deep GEARS... I'd throw some 4.10's and a tlock in the rear.... and then a stall converter...

What issues are the STC SF3s having aka X-3? I was talking with tuning shop on phone today they were really heads over heels on the st3. I also found some steeda underdrive pulleys on craigslist off a marauder. Anybody know if those would fit?

maurader has the wrong water pump pulley those wont work.

There are many problems with the X-3...some of them are even posted on this message board in the Mark 8 section.

The same issues are fairly well documented on many message boards
Google much?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...ns_inline&ct=unquoted-query-link&ved=0CAYQgwM

With that said.. Of course the shops are going to be "head over heels" on the new devices, because that is the ONLY option they have is to sell the new devices, the Xcal 2's are out of production and SCT doesnt sell them any more.

I've said this over and over and over.. but everytime..the people listed to someone that is trying to "make a sale".

I am NOT trying to "SELL" you anything, so I have no financially based reason for telling you not to buy one.

Just do a search here on LVC...then follow that google link above.
There should be enough information for you to realize that you were talking to a SALESMAN trying to SELL you the only device they can legally sell....

So who was this shop that was more interested in getting your money than giving you GOOD HONEST information?

if you want to be a guinea pig and pay a premium price and then have to spend ALOT of your time troubleshooting and bug killing, then run down and grab the lastest and greatest from SCT...

you wont have the device for 24 hours before you'll be "eating the words" i have typed here.

then "morepowermike" from SCT came in tried to make me sound like I was WRONG, then when he got called out for being an SCT employee....by name then...he disappeared

he just EVAPORATED once he discovered the "tune issue" almost blew the guys car up.

SO much for SCT supporting their buggy devices...huh?
SCT even RAN from the issue....

SO, myeah.. run down and sign up to be a betatester, and be prepared to PAY THRU THE NOSE for the privledge of "testing their bugs out".

usually companies PAY people to beta test, or give them free software to beta test.. NEVER do you pay FULL RETAIL price to BETA test.

...you've been warned...

haha ok. Well i see some decent 2Xcal's on ebay and what not. I can just send it to SCT and say i want programming for a 4.6 lincoln blah blah bla? Or would you suggest sending it to blue oval?

No... SCT doesn't provide any tuning support... you need to go to a dealer. Blue Oval Chips, or Dennis Reinhart are two of them...

I'd get a tlock and gear from Max at 5 Star Ford and then a 10" converter from Circle D...

haha ok. Well i see some decent 2Xcal's on ebay and what not. I can just send it to SCT and say i want programming for a 4.6 lincoln blah blah bla? Or would you suggest sending it to blue oval?

Ebay Xcals are the cheapest way to go, but you MUST make SURE the device isn't still LOCKED to the previous car.

Alot of the ebay sellers say stuff like "I dont know, or I have no way to test it"..that is 100% a sign it's LOCKED...and THEY KNOW IT.

If you get a locked Xcal 2 they have to be sent back to SCT to be unlocked.
SCT charges 150.00 to unlock, so dont pay more than 50- 100.00 for a used Xcal 2

Also SCT has been telling people that send their X-2's in that they are broken, and they need to buy an X-3... if they tell you this, chances are they took of their "repair man" hat and put on their "salesman suit".

Or would you suggest sending it to blue oval?

you need to address these questions with your tuner of choice.

We cant speak for blue oval chips, and Lonnie wouldn't appreciate it IF we tried to.

SO.. give them a call...inquire.
Make SURE Lonnie WILL program an X-2 before you go buy one.

Same with Dennis Reinhart, make sure he WILL do what you want before you go buy a used Xcal2.

SCT recently told one of our message board users that they would not support a used X-2...which prompted the guy to GET and X-3...then his troubles began..and guess what.??? SCT doesnts/isn't supporting HIM either and he BOUGHT an X-3.

Onother option would be to get an X-2..used..
then get the SCT proracer software
then you dont have to worry about what a third party decides to or not to do.

that is what I did.. put my own destiny into my own hands.. and I've been happy ever since.

Sorry for all the questions. but what is the tlock and the 10inch converter? Are they fairly simple to install.

For the Xcal2 i basically would need to get a unlocked one, then purchase a program from blue oval chips to install onto it?

or get a unlocked tuner and get that software myself. Seems nice too lol

For the Xcal2 i basically would need to get a unlocked one, then purchase a program from blue oval chips to install onto it?

basicly, but I dont know for sure of BOC is still selling Pro Racer to the public, again you need to check with your tuner of choice

I know Dennis Reinhart is still selling em..
Either way, Lonnie or Dennis has the ability to "take care of you".

Sorry for all the questions. but what is the tlock and the 10inch converter? Are they fairly simple to install.
l

Tlock= trakLok which is fords version of a limited slip posi.

10 inch converter is a replacement for your stock torque converter

Neither is fairly simple to install....if you dont know what they are, chances are you aren't capable of installing one...THAT is fairly simple

You have the idea on the tuner...

A tlock is a short name for a track lock, which is Ford's name for a limited slip differential.

The torque converter goes between your engine and your transmission and ummm... boy not a simple thing to explain...

Read this...

Circle D makes aftermarket converters for the 4r70w... a 10" will be smaller, and you want to get a bigger stall, probably 3500rpms for a 2V... it helps your motor get into the power band quicker off the line... less rotational mass also...

Yeah i know where those are but hmm not sure if im wanting to tear my car that far apart yet lol my dads afraid to work on newer cars hes more into street rods. What are the cost on those parts usually though? Could always break down and have them installed lol. Thats why id figured i would start with the preformance tuner too heh. Could get a marauder air box and a few other things possibly afterwards

. What are the cost on those parts usually though?

800-1200 by the time you buy it all...it's NOT cheap

Stick with the plan..get the tuning stuff first, you can blow a buttload of money on hard parts later..

Yea sounds like a plan.

Also about that throttlebody spacer and steeda under drive pulleys. And the spacer shouldnt interfere with hood clearance should it? and the pullleys someone was suggesting on another thread for a towncar, no chance in hell theyd fit? theyre off www.atdr.net

Members online

No members online now.
Back