LS Vs 300C

almaj2006

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello my family is thinking of either getting a LS or 300C. Which one do you think is the better deal. New or used. And base model for both.
Discuss

almaj2006 said:
Hello my family is thinking of either getting a LS or 300C. Which one do you think is the better deal. New or used. And base model for both.
Discuss

Well the best deal would be to go with a base 300 (w/o the Hemi). I believe it starts at $25K new.

the 300 prolly.. for a FAMILY car.. the LS is more of a car of preference.. but its more expensive.. and ur prolly gonna save gas on the 300 if u get the base model.. compared to a V8 obviously.. anyways..

i personally find the 300 to be a dope car.. but all the aftermarket parts are SOO expensive.. i dont see myself spending like 400-700 dollars on a car grill u know..

300C hands down. Better car. I've driven both. The 300C is faster, has more room, and I do not think the LS is really any more luxurious than a 300 with all the options. Aftermarket parts for the LS are expensive as well...I paid $550 for my two piece grill which is now selling for $350 due to mor demand. Same will happen with 300 accessories, the prices will go down as more enthusiasts jump on the bandwagon.

When it comes to the amount of available aftermarket accessories for the 300 compared to the LS....well...there really isn't much of a comparison.

i love my interior on my ls, but the exterior with the right mods on a 300 hurts my feelings. 300 for family, 300 hemi for me, ls for my family and me. the ls will hold its value better. blue book 2003 ls=2005 300. i drove the 300 6 cylinder and it was just a little better on gas.

ls holds value better? I've never seen anything worse. 50% value in 2 years and 20-25% after 5 isn't impressive.

thats with any car, really cant compare a 2001 ls to a 2001 300. but a 2005 ls to a 2005 300, the 300c and only the 300c fully loaded holds its value better than a ls. i dont think that will last long though. the 300m was supposed to have held its value a lot better, but now a 2001 300 in excellent condition is only worth 10 grand, a third of its price. my 2001 ls in excellent condition is worth half of its once suggested retail. i did my research, because before i bought my ls, i was sitting at the chrysler dealer about to sign when i asked what trade in was on a 2005 v6 300 with twenty something thousand miles. they were asking 22 and it was only worth 17. i paid 17 and my car was worth 15 in excellent condition. dont get me wrong i love the way a 300 looks, but a chrysler verse a LINCOLN

beaups said:
ls holds value better? I've never seen anything worse. 50% value in 2 years and 20-25% after 5 isn't impressive.
The last time I checked KBB and Edmunds, my LS had lost very little of its value (or none, depending on which value you took). In approximatley a year, by the worst comparison, it had dropped from a $26K car to a $23K car; that's not bad at all.

kbb and edmunds are not relevant to what you'll really get for your car. try nada or blackbook. I was referring to the first 5 year drop. Take my 03...V8 with every option (including NAV)...stickered for mid-upper 40's. I bought for 20. Now worth 15. If you were to compare that to say a BMW 528 (I'm totally guessing here) I bet it's worth 25 still....

For comparison reasons we must look at the values of the LS between 00-04. The following are Private Party Values on KBB, all base models, zip 55075 (Minnesota):

A brand new 2004 LSV8 with 1 mile in excellent condition is valued at $23,665.

A 2000 LSV8 private party value on KBB value is $9,375 in excellent condition with 86k miles.

The Lincoln LSV8 has a 60.5% loss in value over 4 years and 86K miles

A brand new 2004 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4D with 1 mile in excellent condition is valued at $32,075

A 2000 Lexus GS 300 Sedan 4D with 86K miles in excellent condition has a private party value of $15,925

The Lexus GS 300 has 50.5% loss in value over 4 years and 86K miles.

So obviously when talking about private party values the LS does not compare with other luxury vehicles.

A brand new 2004 Chrysler 300M with 1 mile in excellent condition is valued at $17,280

A 2000 300M in excellent condition with 86k is valued at $7,805

The Chrylser 300M had a 55% loss in value over 4 years and 86K miles.

So, in conclusion, over a four year span and 86,000 miles the 4dr LS sedan loses its value quicker than both the Lexus and the Chrysler 4dr sedans.

Of course this is the best we can get to the actual comparison to the 300C, but I think this is a pretty good indicator of what the 300C will do.

I liked the 300 when it first came out, but the more I see 'em the more I get tired of it. It has that style that tends to lead me away from it once I see a few. The LS, not matter how much I see one I do not get that turned off feeling.

If I was looking at them both I would probably go LS just because I know the top model 300 or a pretty loaded v8 would be out of my range mean while the LS can be had w/ almost any option for much less unless its a fairly new one w/ no to low miles.

What is a brand new 2004 car mean? The point is that 2004V8 cost about 40K or so when it was new and it lost over 40% in those first 2 years. The GS300 and LS v8 is a great comparison since they were similar prices when actually new. Notice the difference in value?

Yea...I wasn't too sure of the "brand new" prices for those vehicles in 2004 and since they discontinued the 300M that is all I really had to compare.

Good point either way, most cars lose a bulk of their value within the first 1-2 years.

I'm sorry, but the base 300 looks like a base car, it's cheap. Compare the top of the line 300 with the LS and maybe the 300 holds a candle, but base vs. base isn't a contest, the LS kicks it's butt. Plus, you won't own a freaking dodge.

looks-wise, i think the LS wins hands down. i mean it's probably one of the best looking sedans on the road, the lines are just killer, it's extremely aerodynamic, stylish, classy, and aggressive. reminds me of the mid-90s BMW 7 series (which is another favorite sedan of mine). the 300 i think is a bit too heavy looking. while i like the retro styling, which will definitely influence future car designs, it just doesn't compare to the LS's lines.

in terms of MPG and power/speed/acceleration the two are very close depending on packages of course. the 300 will cost you less upfront but it will be pretty close in gas, upkeep and parts.

as for after market parts the 300 definitely has more options. but who really cares? it's not the better car ;)

Ok, let me speak on something here since i am an owner of both a Lincoln and Chrysler product. First thing, you cant compare a 2004 300m to a 2005 300c. Not even close and their values i'd expect to also be different. I have a 2001 Intrepid ES which for all purposes is the same as a 300m. Subtle differences but not much. I have owned the Intrepid since new and with 85,000 miles its been a pretty reliable car. Its nice with all the options...leather, sunroof, climate, 4 disc cd, info center, autostick. But it is no where near as refined of an automobile as the LS, in either driving performance or quality. My 2002 LS is far superior and the 2003 LS only widens the gap. The new 300c has become way more of a "fad" than the older 300m ever was, which will affect its value. Its appeal is newness and not so much Chrysler quality. Now that i have owned both the Lincoln would win everytime.

About a month ago I encountered a 300c on the highway. He pulled up next to me looked over and floored it. That car does have power, I couldn't accelerate nearly as fast. But the upside is that 2 miles down the road he still had it floored and I passed him!! Boy was he unhappy then. The 300c is limited to 130mph, the LS was at 142 when I passed him. :D

I looked inside an srt-8 and did not see anything that would make me think it was better than the ls, almost kind of looked similiar. Much rather have the LS still.

base ls could have a v8, base 300 has a 190 hp 2.7L 6

I have owned (logically) both. I traded my 2000 Lincoln LS V8 in for my new 2006 Dodge Charger R/T, which is mechanically identical to a 300C.

The 300 is much larger inside (and outside) than the Lincoln, and has a much bigger trunk.

The 300C is much faster than the V8 LS. In fact, if you get a 300 with the 3.5L V6 and 5-speed transmission (the one with autostick) it will be about equivalent to a '00-'02 LS V8. All Chrysler 300s are faster than a V6 LS, except maybe the 2.7L base model. However, the 300 with the 2.7L comes with a 3.90 rear end which makes the car feel very quick around town. On the highway, you'll find yourself downshifting a lot.

Because the 300C is a bigger car with a much longer wheelbase, it has a much better highway ride. It does have a hint of big American car float that the LS does not have. The LS is more nailed down on the freeway and does a great job of absorbing bumps, but isn't as smooth. Around town, the 300C will accentuate bumps more because of its 18" wheels, with the LS arguably providing a superior ride. The Charger has a tighter suspension than the 300 and eliminates the highway floatiness.

The LS sits lower to the ground and has a more European feel to it. The 300 feels like you're driving a big American car. LS is definately the American BMW 5-series. The 300 is pure American muscle; the banker's hot rod.

The 300C offers almost all the luxury features the LS has except a few. Newer LSes can be had with cooled seats, which are not available on the 300. The 300 also does not have speed sensitive volume on the radio or a heated windshield wiper park (I don't think). Conversely, the 300C can be had with headlight washers, which I don't think you can get on an LS. Ultimately, the LS probably has more luxury features than are available in a 300C. The Dodge has far fewer.

The LS V8 has a great engine that always seems to have enough power on tap. The V8 in a 300C goes miles beyond that. Sure, the 300C has a couple hundred pounds' weight penalty, but with 390 lb/ft of torque it's just a completely different driving experience. My '00 LS was plenty fast, and the '03+ are even faster but the 300C blows them all away. The Dodge is slightly faster yet. The transmissions in both cars are great as well, but the LS has a reputation for some quirky behavior. My car never exhibited this, though. Ironically, I get better gas mileage in my Charger than I got in my LS. In my commuting cycle, I got about 18 in the LS, I get about 19.5 in the Charger with the Hemi.

Both cars are very comfortable on long trips, but the 300C extends this into the rear seat as well. The LS back seat is comfy, but just not very large and is tough to get in and out of. Both cars are also very safe.

I would definately recommend the 300C. It's bigger, faster, looks better (subjective), and much more economical to operate (better mileage, cheaper maintenance, mid-grade gas instead of premium). Every time my LS broke it was megabucks to fix. Pinion bearings, $626. Power steering pump, $615. And so on. My LS was also horribly unreliable - in fact, it was the worst car I ever owned. I bought it used with 40k and traded it with about 75k miles. I've put 14k on the Charger and nothing has broken yet, but of course it's too early to tell. Since the 300/Magnum/Charger are mechanically identical and being produced in huge quantities, parts should be plentiful and cheap, and the mechanic you ultimately take it to will have worked on one before. That will not be the case with the LS.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt, and go drive both cars. See how they feel and how they fit your lifestyle and see which one you like best. Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!

^^:I LOL^^

1) 300 is a dodge, that means it's gonna fall apart in 5 years so you won't have to worry about resale value.:)

2) The only reason the 300 has a better resale value right now is because "pop culture" is pushing them. The rappers are all into them right now. In a year, that price will plumit as they are on to the next car that interests them and the market will be flooded with 300's that the dealers won't be able to give away.:shifty:

3) Did Dodge ever figure out that you can't put a nylon belt in your engine to run the timing?:eek:

Members online

Back