LS V8 Reliability

mineralgsvt

LVC Member
Reaction score
Currently looking for a used LS for my daily driver (around 20 miles roundtrip). Trying to keep it under $10k and I'm seeing alot of high mileage cars for sale. I have no experience with the 3.9 - lots of experience with 5.0s but I know very little of the 3.9.

What are some key things to look out for with the v8, and also with the LS in general?

Thanks!

Valve cover gaskets on the 00's to 03's, but if they have been replaced with the new ones, you shouldn't have any more trouble.

Timing chains on the 00's to 02's.

Coils on all of them.

DCCV's on all of them.

Throttle bodies on the 03's.

Parking brake modules on the 04's.

So far, 06 seems to be the best year.

I have a 04 V8.

Coils will be replaced, plan on doing it if it hasn't been done.

And yes I get intermittent parking brake errors, but it dissapears @ next car start. It only tells me parking brake error if I park on an incline for a long period of time.

All ABS/Wheel speed sensors will eventually need to be cleaned and/or replaced as it may begin giving you AdvanceTrac/ABS errors.

Backs of front seats may break off, my passenger side broke off and it is now ghetto-rigged to stay on, but it looks nothing like it did before broken, kind of a bummer but not many ppl ride in the back of my LS.

So far so good on the DCCV for me, but i plan on it happening eventually.

If you can afford it/find one you like, i would definitely get an 06.

I was happy with my 01 V8 Sport (took it to 179k miles) but will be making the switch to an 06.

Just picked up an '04 with under 50k miles for $9,500 or so. Car is super clean. Had AC service just before I bought it. Was only cooling one side. Is that DCCV?

Anyway, since there are some known issues I got an extended warranty. I might recommend one if you find a clean low mileage example. See if you can find one with maint. records especially if you get an older one. Major updates in '03.

It is a very satisfying car to drive, I can tell you that!

Speaking of which there's a 2006 Lincoln LSE V8 with 30k miles only 3miles from me being sold at the dealership for 12k....I should look into that :-D

Speaking of which there's a 2006 Lincoln LSE V8 with 30k miles only 3miles from me being sold at the dealership for 12k....I should look into that :-D
Where?!? How did you find it (autotrader, cars.com?) And what color? I'm shopping around for a silver birch 06 LS :)

Where?!? How did you find it (autotrader, cars.com?) And what color? I'm shopping around for a silver birch 06 LS :)

It's All black, and yeah autotrader. I just put in 2006 LS and location within 100 miles then DING got 2 results for less than 15k

There is no 2006 LSE per-se. The '06 has the LSE parts sans rear spoiler. Further, ALL '06s are V8s.

Is this it?

There is no 2006 LSE per-se. The '06 has the LSE parts sans rear spoiler. Further, ALL '06s are V8s.

Is this it?

Hey! there it is....only saw it for a second last night so I couldn't remember the full details. Good to know :-D

Is tempting for a newer model but wothless to do all my modifications again (Intake, exhaust, Intake Tube, Lights, Kenwood DVD/NAV system)

Yeah, because that much stuff takes more than a weekend to accomplish.

Oh and my eibach springs :-D

And I'm talking about the loss, you twat!

The fact I'd have to get those items all over again is quite the bother....plus it adds another sum of money to an already increased loan :p

Oh and my eibach springs :-D

And I'm talking about the loss, you twat!

The fact I'd have to get those items all over again is quite the bother....plus it adds another sum of money to an already increased loan :p

So you're just talking out of your ass again. Ok.

repete, just return the car to stock. Hopefully you were smart and saved all those stock parts. I have a pile of them in my garage for the day I get rid of my LS. Just in case.

And yes, all of those mods could be done on a weekend :p

I saved all stock parts but all parts I have put in were made for a Gen 1, not Gen 2 and I doubt they'd fetch the same price as I bought them :p

Then again I've fixed every problem the Gen 1s would or do have...so it would be a smarter decision to keep it....I do like the tails better and the headlights :-D

Timing chains are rarely a problem. Only engine issues I've had in 112k miles were alternator (actually,thats electrical system), valve cover gasket, ignition coils ($150 for all 8 on ebay), and coolant reservoir tank. (thats techically cooling system). So basically...only valve cover gasket and coils.
Thats literally..it for engine issues. I use whatever oil filter is on sale (fram or purolator) and Wal Marts synthetic 5w-30 every 10k miles.

don't forget the rear axle seals both mine were shot, rear end got pretty low on oil, I dont know if this is common but on my 04 they were in need of replacing.

I replaced my rear axle seals when swapping out for the LSD. since I was there anyways, figured why not. One of them did have a small leak, but I just replaced both.

Members online

No members online now.
Back