LS V8 Ford or Jaguar?

dtangerini

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 V8,with 100,000 miles, love it! Can someone tell me about this engine. Is it a ford or a jaguar block, a hybrid or what. How many cubic inches does it have, and has it been used in other fords of jaguars?

I have a 2000 V8,with 100,000 miles, love it! Can someone tell me about this engine. Is it a ford or a jaguar block, a hybrid or what. How many cubic inches does it have, and has it been used in other fords of jaguars?

3.9 Litre V8. Jag based engine. Was also used in the Stype and Stype R with the supercharger. Not sure but I believe some derivitives of this block were use in some Range Rover and Aston Martins? Some will surley correct me if I am wrong!!

3.9L = 238 cu. in.

Its basically a Jag engine known as the AJ-V8 that has been tuned for Lincoln duty.

jag block, everthing else (heads, etc.) ford....

The Wikipedia article is a bit biased toward the Jag side (imagine that). The 3.9L V8 in the LS and T-Bird is in the Jaguar AJV8 family, but it's not really accurate to call it a Jaguar engine. The '00-'02 3.9 is known as the AJ30; the '03-'06 is the AJ35.

The block is substantially the same as the blocks used in the S-Type and XJ (and in the V8 Aston Martins), but everything else (heads, intake, exhaust, valvetrain, engine controls, etc) was designed by Lincoln engineers, and the whole engine was built in Ohio.

And despite what the Wikipedia article says, the AJ35 uses the same VVT technology as the Jags, and it was, I am told, designed in Dearborn, not Coventry...

My 2000 V8 seems to run very well, burns no oil at 100,000 miles, an goes like a raped ape. What problems may I expect to encounter with this engine and drivetrain going forward?

My 2000 V8 seems to run very well, burns no oil at 100,000 miles, an goes like a raped ape. What problems may I expect to encounter with this engine and drivetrain going forward?

One very common problem is that the valve cover gaskets leak oil. The leaked oil runs into the wells that hold the spark plugs and ruins the "coil on plug" (COP) device attached to each plug. This can be a costly repair.

Being that your engine has 100,000 miles, it has more than likely LONG since experienced the valve cover oil leak problem. That, from what I can gather from the posts here, usually occurs at about 45 - 60k miles. The only thing you might really have trouble with is the hydraulic powered fan. Stupid design plain and simple. It uses the equivalent of a power steering pump to turn a turbine style drive motor on the fan. The drive motor on the fan likes to go bad, and it usually takes out the pump with it. Yours might have been replaced already, might be beneficial if you can find some service records for the car to see whats been done and what hasn't.

supercharged

if the engine is based on an supercarged engine then why does it seem to be such a problem to insall one on the LS?

space in the engine bay, no aftermarket kits, high compression ratio, etc.

there's plenty of reasons it's not done more often.

who ever said it was 'such a problem'?

the big issue was that we had no way to tune it - until SCT cracked the PCM and launched the XCal, XCal2 and now LiveWire. Once we can tune it - you can do anything. Mclaren could have done it - but without the support from Ford to crack the PCM, they could not jusify the cost to reverse engineer it themselves - so they scrapped it.

The factory never made one because there was no demand for one - like the manual tranie in a V8. You can't make money trying to sell an expensive car to a niche group of american sport sedan enthusists. No that they could not have created one.

If you are looking for simple - like buying a kit and bolting it on over a weekend - well that may happen one day. Since no company has embaced it, we have to do it ourselves. When you read my thread on supercharging - I understand it can seem like alot of issues that I worked through - but these were all relatively simply common issues with adding a power adder to a NA car.

Wtf

If its already been done to the Jag engine that Ford had owned why is there a problem?

like people said already in this thread - the Jag only shares the block casting - none of the other internal, heads, PCM, ....nothing is the same. So none of the Jag S-Type R stuff even bolts on little-alone plugs in.

So it can be done - but since there is no market for it - they never built it.

Yes, I got the valve cover leaks fixed under warranty, and also the rear window rotors. The front suspension components and wheel bearings seem to wear at a rather fast clip, any way to stop this?
Thanks for all the replys.

Another question, about the suspension, is it based on Jaguar or Ford technology. It is a great driving car, handles extremely well and loves to go fast! In fact the faster I drive it the better the gas mileage, over 24 MPG on the highway. Can't uderstand why this car never caught on, poor marketing maybe. I plan to keep my 2000 V8 forever.

Being that your engine has 100,000 miles, it has more than likely LONG since experienced the valve cover oil leak problem. That, from what I can gather from the posts here, usually occurs at about 45 - 60k miles. The only thing you might really have trouble with is the hydraulic powered fan. Stupid design plain and simple. It uses the equivalent of a power steering pump to turn a turbine style drive motor on the fan. The drive motor on the fan likes to go bad, and it usually takes out the pump with it. Yours might have been replaced already, might be beneficial if you can find some service records for the car to see whats been done and what hasn't.

Actually... Hydrualic fan motor is not a bad idea; the USMC LAV (light armored vehicle) (of General Dynamics design) uses a hydrualic fan motor. It has a load of benifits over a standard electric fan (but inverse to that... the electric fan has it's own distinct advantages). However, the issue at hand is the quality of the components. It really isn't a "BAD" idea... just poorily exicuted.

This article outline what is the same, similar or different between the Jag and the Ford -> http://www.designnews.com/article/CA86948.html

KEY:
Purple - different components
Blue - common components
Yellow - common elements tuned differently and/or having some different parts.

One program aim was to develop common S-Type/LS components to save cost and be ‘transparent’ to the driver. Unique features
give each car its own characteristics.

jag vs LS.jpg

Can't uderstand why this car never caught on, poor marketing maybe. I plan to keep my 2000 V8 forever.

Yes, poor marketing was the likely cause. In the beginning (1999-2000), there was lots of good marketing (e.g., great TV ads, nice brochures, events, Car of the Year fame, etc.). Seems like after 2001, it all stopped. It its final days, you didn't even see the LS on any of the TV or print ads. Very sad, because Ford had a winner in this car.

Another question, about the suspension, is it based on Jaguar or Ford technology.
Yes.

DEW-98 was a collaboration between the guys in Dearborn and the chaps in Coventry, so it's both/and, not either/or. Of course, it's a lot easier to sell a "Lincoln with Jaguar chassis" than it is to sell a "Jaguar with Ford chassis," isn't it?

Yes, I would think it would be, but just talk to a mechanic who has worked on Jaguars, and you would wonder why. Is there and easy way to grab 20-30 additional horse power from my 2000. I see some after market kits that promise this with increased airflow etc.

Yes, I would think it would be, but just talk to a mechanic who has worked on Jaguars, and you would wonder why. Is there and easy way to grab 20-30 additional horse power from my 2000. I see some after market kits that promise this with increased airflow etc.

Not unless you add nitrous or a turbo. The easiest way to add HP (and it won't be a lot) is to add (1) a modified intake, like the KKM or K&N intake, and (2) put on an exhaust system, like the Magnaflow system. Combined, these may add 10-12 HP.

the pre-03s react to the bolt-ons better the 03+ and were more de-tuned stock (since they had a hard time meeting CAFE.

so with exhaust, intake, and an agressive tune - an additional 20 hp is acheivable. IIRC Ken dynoed his LS (2001) against a 2004 and the were match at rwhp - meaning his stock 252hp+bolt-ons match a 280hp stock.

but that's it - if you're looking for more then like Todd said - power adders.

Thanks guys. It seems the K&S induction kits combined promise about 15-20 HP, for about $450.00. That doesn't sound too bad if it delivers as promised.
Is the Magnaflow exaust available for the 2000 LS V8, couldnt seem to find it.

Members online

Back