LS v8 automatics

blk04lse

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I found the following piece online...

For the first time, Mustang is available with a five-speed automatic transmission.

“The 5R55S automatic, also used in the Lincoln LS and Ford Thunderbird, has closely spaced ratios that keep the engine in its power band to produce better acceleration, with a wide ratio that provides remarkably good highway fuel economy. The new powertrain control computer delivers benefits in the transmission, as well as the engine, by precisely controlling shift duration and shift timing. Throttle position, engine speed, load, environmental factors and other parameters guide the transmission shift schedule.

A new electronic interface lets the powertrain control module communicate with the automatic transmission 10 times faster than before. For the first time, powertrain engineers could match transmission controls with other sophisticated features like variable cam timing and electronic throttle control. As a result, the entire powertrain works together to deliver smooth performance.”

So, besides a nitrous kit, CAI, catback exhaust or porting the heads/intake and custom cams (big $$$), another option may be to find out if an aftermarket stall 2800 rpms + for an 05 GT would fit, plus add an aftermarket trans cooler w/ lines. Maybe check out a larger trans cooler such as what is used on the 5.0 liter mustangs running C4 & C6 transmissions. I had a large B&M one on my 91 notch that had a C4.

Also, if an aftermarket 4.10 - 4.30 rear end gear for a 05 GT would also work in the LS/LSE....

Bottom line, some of the 05 GT aftermarket parts and/or concepts might also apply for the LS/LSE....

GOOD THINKING, and as we all know, everybody in town has to have a stang!! So parts should be popping up asap!!!

maybe we can finnaly get a break and be able to install some parts

This is good news - as the trannie will quickly be the weak link once we add the supercharger on.

speaking of that.. what's it's capability of handling (HP)? what about the chassis?

My recollection is that the 5R55N/S is designed for up to ~340HP, which is fine for a 300HP GT motor. However, in Cobra tradition, those high-HP cars will come w/ a MT only, capable of handling WAY more than the LS's trans ever will.

Also, I don't think the rear axles on the LS/T-Bird share any (or many) parts w/ the '05 Mustang. But then again, I could be wrong........

If you think about it, the Mustang is stated as 300 hp and 325 tq; however, they are probably shy by 10 to 15 on each...

So a guess, probably the trans can handle around 400 hp, but we know torque and heat kills trannies.

I thought about a charger, but if you want more than 6 lbs reliable boost and get miles out of the motor, then a complete engine build up w/ dished and/or max. quenched pistons would be in order. All forged internals, which would be custom and $$$. W/ doing that you might as well call the Renegade Mustang engine builders (such as Ed Curtis, Buddy Rowls, Anderson Motorsports or even Comp Cams and have custom cams built). First have the heads and intake ported so that you can give them the flow specs. They have computer programs that spit out the dimensions of the cams... W/ doing all of that, you will need to send a trans out to Performance Automatic and have them reinforce it and accompany it w/ a stall that matched the cams performance.

Not sure if the LS has 31 spline axles, but those would be in order and either a spool or at least an Eaton rear end. 4.10 - 4.30 gear

Finally, have a chip burned by Diablo or have Rick Anderson of Anderson Motorsports build you a PMS to tune the car, and a mass air meter..

Be Cool for a larger radiator, CDS for a water pump, high flow oil pump??, Weldon or Aeromotive for a fuel system (fuel pump, fuel pressure regulator and controller)

Bassani long tube headers, x pipe and a quiet/sleeper catback.

More or less a boat load of $$$$

question? does the new mustang come in 5 speed? if so could that tranny be used for an ls v8 5 speed???????

2k2ls said:
question? does the new mustang come in 5 speed? if so could that tranny be used for an ls v8 5 speed???????
- it does
- not without alot of work....

Waitaminute - the same tranny used in the (GT?) Mustang is the same as our LS's?

So did Ford make different blocks for the 4.6L depending on which tranny was used (manual vs auto)?

And if not, doesn't that mean that the manual tranny would bolt up to our 3.9's?

What model Mustangs use the 5 speed auto?

05 GT, also as you read the Jaguar S type and Ford T-bird uses the same 5 speed auto....

blk04lse said:
05 GT, also as you read the Jaguar S type and Ford T-bird uses the same 5 speed auto....

I do not believe the Jag does. Jag took the v8 block and the DEW98 chasis - but nothing else is the same.

Kevin said:
Waitaminute - the same tranny used in the (GT?) Mustang is the same as our LS's?

So did Ford make different blocks for the 4.6L depending on which tranny was used (manual vs auto)?

And if not, doesn't that mean that the manual tranny would bolt up to our 3.9's?

What model Mustangs use the 5 speed auto?

I went to the dealer here in town where my buddy is the shop supervisor. We put a 05 Gt up on the rack, and then we put an 04 LS up next to it. The trans is close, same internals since it's a 5R55, but the bellhousing is quite different, you can see where they have made a adaption to the bolt pattern. But, as long as the trans is the same, all parts made for it's insides, and torque converter, should be fine, but as for swapping a M/T, NO WAY!! I took some pics, will try to get them posted asap.

Members online

No members online now.
Back