LS Overheating! Don't know why. Help!

wlagamer01

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Well let me tell you guys the whole story. I have a 2001 LS-8 Sport with 133,600 miles on it. 2 months ago it overheated and leaked coolant everywhere from the resevoir bottle. I took it to the dealer. They changed the thermostat, resevoir bottle, flushed the whole cooling system and they removed 2 air pockets from my engine. It's "o.k." now but it still acts like it wants to overheat. I've been back and forth to the dealer 3 times! The fan comes on more then usual and I can smell coolant but I don't see a leak. I just got a new radiator last February and they say my water-pump is fine. I talked to another mechanic and he said it might be the heads but the service guy at the dealership says I shouldn't have any head problems so soon. It's just not the same and I'm scared to really drive it like I used to. What do you guys think because i'm stumped! Please help.

IMO, If it was the heads, it would probably be running very badly. Have you checked the oil? If water is getting in the oil, then it would have a choclate milk look to it. You said that you smell coolant...does any come out? Maybe it's the heater core. Or maybe it's one of the radiator hoses. Just some ideas. I feel your frustration. When you say it "acts" like it wants to overheat, does the needle go up?

I haven't checked the oil yet. When I say it act likes it wants to overheat, I mean the fan comes on alot more frequently like it's running a little hot...it didn't do that before. I smell coolant, but I don't see any leaks.

Go through the LS overheating procedure. It happens so much there should be one.

1. check coolant level while on, off, running cold, and hot. try to observe the level when the thermostat opens. might take you a little while to observe exactly when it happens.

2. Take off the fill cap , the one with the allen tool hole. make sure it is full there, if not fill.

3. You said they replaced the reservoir, but lss are known for them cracking on the first and second, and last time they overheat, bad quality in my opinion. even if it is a hairline crack, it still enables the water to boil at a lower temp increasing the chance for overheating,

4. check all lines and hoses, especially the one underneath the res., pain in the @ss.

5. next steps, more money. check the fan, make sure its turning on and running at the right speeds, use your best judgement or unless you get a chance to see another ls run.

6. radiator, check for leaks, once again hair line cracks will do it.

7. if a head or gasket is bad, then usually it will run, (if it runs) will run with a miss, kind of like a bad coil.

8. oh yeah, could even be a bad thermostat. i know you said they put a new one, but you never know.

9. do a search on the fan problems, i have little knowledge with them, i miss my good old clutch fans.

10. did i miss anything? im sure you will get more post and do a search.

Members online

No members online now.
Back