LS 2000 Overheating

raebar

New LVC Member
Reaction score
HELP! My LS 2000 is overheating! I can get about 10 miles out of it, then check engine temperature appears on the display and my engine temp. is up in the red. Has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do to fix it. Thank you for your advice.

check the usual stuff -
- is the fan working
- is the cap on and holding 13 psi of pressure
- is the thermostat working

happened to me i had a hole in my radiator hose.. do you have coolant? possible air in the system

This could be any of several common causes of overheating, of any water cooled engine. I have not owned my LS long enough to have a heat problem so based on experience with other cars and reading this website...

Things to suspect are Thermostat, Clogged cooling passages, malfunctioning fan, clogged air fins on radiator, bad sensors, clogged exhaust system, running too lean(engine control issue), dragging drivetrain components and on and on.

So, tell us more. What else does your car do? Run rough, any other check engine signals? Smoke, steam?

Most likely causes in my opinion would be Thermostat, especially if it has never been changed. Fixing the T stat "should" be cheap but with our "unique" engines, the part may be more expensive than normal.

From reading this webpage, the early LS had an oil pump driven fan, what Rube Goldberg did that? Anyway, the fan apparantly has been prone to failure, so it is worth checking. I have read that fixing this fan is not cheap.

The things that are free and easy to check are the dirty fins on the radiator, whether the fan is running and when and how fast it is running, and maybe collapsed radiator hoses.

Good Luck, and tell us any other symptoms.

Jim Henderson

The easiest thing you can do is start your car and check the fan speed. After you have noted the speed, turn your AC on and check the speed. If the speed hasn't changed, then it is your hydraulic fan pump or your fan motor. To rule out the fan motor, shut your car off and check for resistance. If there is resistance, your fan motor is bad. If it spins with little resistance, than it is your pump.

To check your tstat, check the temps at the upper and lower radiator hose. If there is an extreme temp difference between the two, than your tstat is bad.

Before I continue giving things that you can check at home, does your car overheat on the highway or just in town/at low speeds. One thing to mention when you say your car is overheating is where it overheats at. You can eliminate several potential problems by stating one or the other. If it only overheats at lower speeds/in town, more than likely it is a problem with your car not getting enough air through the radiator (whether it be clogged/dirty/fan not working). Hope all this helps.

I just replaced my fan pump 2 weeks ago.......not really a DIY job because you need a pulley puller and a lot of patience, but if you have access to a shop and a friend who works at one, than it is possible to do.

Thanks for all the info! My LS overheats in city driving, and on the Freeway. It overheated when I was sitting on the side of the road, with engine idling.

Quick LS-- Thanks I will look into these things.

Motts-- Thanks for the info. I do have coolant. The only time I have lost coolant is when I took the cap off and it bubbled out.

Jim-- I will look into the fan issue. I don't have any other engine warnings or things like that, other than the forsaken airbag light comes on, but I looked that one up and am going to check under the seat and make sure no wires are cut. Thanks.

DLS8K-- Thanks. My LS overheats in city driving, and on the Freeway. It overheated when I was sitting on the side of the road, with engine idling with a MR. YOUKNOWWHO sitting behind me with his lights flashing!!! :steering

When I had the coolant on my car replaced, the mechanic told me that there was another breather valve that also had to be opened so all the fluid could drain and release pressure. He said that if this wasn't done car would overheat. It's a plastic nut that's under the V8 cover.

Overheat issue

When I had the coolant on my car replaced, the mechanic told me that there was another breather valve that also had to be opened so all the fluid could drain and release pressure. He said that if this wasn't done car would overheat. It's a plastic nut that's under the V8 cover.

Members online

No members online now.
Back