lowest gas milage v8

Just over 17 mpg on our green engined '06. Still has less than a thousand miles.

'79 Ford F150 4x4 w/351 4V and moster mudders- 16 highway, 8 having fun
'79 CJ5 6 banger got 16 mpg no matter what

Lowest calculated was 17.6mpg, but the Message Center indicated 16.something. This was when the dealership was trying to diagnose an intermittent no-start condition, so I figure they were starting and stopping the engine repeatedly. The lowest number I've ever seen on the Message Center was around 8.5mpg; I had just reset the mileage calculator after filling up, and saw this in the gas station parking lot.

FWIW, the highest I ever saw displayed was 99.9mpg; I reset the average mileage when I was coming down from 70mph on the Interstate (on a gentle sweeping left-hand exit). I wished I had someone to take a picture of that. :D

lately ive been getting 13.4 city and about 22 highway. terrible huh? ill put about 10 bucks in daily (im always in a hurry)

i have had my car two years and never really had any problems with it. but what i cant understand is my car will tell me between 15.2- 15.7 all the time it wont say anything but that range tried to reset and still nothing. i only put 93 sunoco in it and its well taking care of. anybody got the same problem??

SALVAGE LS said:
i have had my car two years and never really had any problems with it. but what i cant understand is my car will tell me between 15.2- 15.7 all the time it wont say anything but that range tried to reset and still nothing. i only put 93 sunoco in it and its well taking care of. anybody got the same problem??

Sounds like a majority of city driving to me.

During the week, I do almost all city... With my foot in it I get about 13.8 if I drive like an old lady, 15.2... It's sucks but I don't care. City/Highway loop I average around 18. I've never got what the sticker claims.

I have gotten down into the 13 range with my 2004 LSV8. That was when I had a 10 mile commute, all surface streets with a couple good long hills thrown in.

My current all freeway, 100% at 70+mph in the am and about 70% 60+mph in the pm for 30 miles each way gets me right around 20mpg.

Street driving really kills the mileage. I can show 21mpg on the computer and as soon as I get on the street it starts to drop and drop.

This mileage is a bit disappointing since my much heavier low tech 96 Chebby SS got almost the same mileage as the LS.

Jim Henderson

Sounds like a majority of city driving to me.
ls4me My car is driven mostly on the highway. Other than that i dont really drive it. Only really comes out on the weekend if i have to go really far. new plugs didnt need coils and still have stock covers coil packs are fine. just at loss what it could be. Everyone is getting 15-25 mpg and i cant break 15.7

SALVAGE LS said:
ls4me My car is driven mostly on the highway. Other than that i dont really drive it. Only really comes out on the weekend if i have to go really far. new plugs didnt need coils and still have stock covers coil packs are fine. just at loss what it could be. Everyone is getting 15-25 mpg and i cant break 15.7
Have you tried logging your fill-ups and calculating the mileage, or are you just going by what the Message Center is reporting?

If hand-calculating and the Message Center agree, and you do mostly highway driving, I'd start looking for something wrong. Bad O2 sensors can cause a drop in fuel economy without necessarily throwing an error, as will a dirty air filter. It sounds like you're using good gas, so that's probably not a part of the problem, but leaky fuel injectors could be--two symptoms of leaky injectors are hard starting and a puff of white smoke at startup.

Also, search for low gas mileage; there was someone recently who had a problem that was showing up as really bad gas mileage. IIRC, he wasn't getting a CEL, but one or more of the COPs were actually bad...

I get around 18.2 mpg city and 23.7 the most on highway highway. it all depends guess when i do maintenance on car and treat her right It gives me good mileage....

Members online

Back