Lowering Car with Stock Bags

I am really hoping it will settle after driving it a while because the rear is sitting pretty high now
0422181750b.jpg

I thought I would post it here since it is relevant to this topic.

PSA - There could be a potential problem with regard to losing control of your M8 when driving at higher than normal highway speed after sensor lowering your car with stock bags!

This topic has never really been discussed here at LvC or any other Mark VIII sites. Owners attempting this mod should be prudent when exceeding speed limits and realize that the Mark VIII has a feature that lowers the car even more once you hit highway speeds.

The problem is; once the car is modified and lowered using the sensor method, you are effectively driving your Mark around with even less air pressure in the airbags, as if you are driving the car around town with its suspension set permanently at the lowered Hwy speed position, which in this case is still within safe design parameters. The problem occurs when driving this sensor lowered car at highway speeds and the M8 lowering feature kicks in and lowers the car even more. Yes, lowers even more!

Now, with even less air pressure in the bags and it beyond design parameters, the car will have a tendency of oscillating unpredictably like a rocking boat at each and every road trough and undulation. So if you ever hit an unforeseen dip or rut at Hwy speeds or encounter a sharp bend, especially at night, just be mindful that at high speeds, the suspension will no longer have that firmness and control it once had before the mod. You could potentially bounce out of control or bottom-out causing costly suspension damage.

Just be cautious out there and realize the potential hazard you now inherit when sensor modding your Mark.

Be safe everyone!

Last edited:
Looks great, what size are the wheels/trres ?
Rear are 245/50R17 the Fronts are 225/55R17. The fronts are a taller tire than the rears. The fronts should be 225/50R17 just haven't changed them yet. They don't rub at all.

PSA - There could be a potential problem with regard to losing control of your M8 when driving at higher than normal highway speed after sensor lowering your car with stock bags!

This topic has never really been discussed here at LvC or any other Mark VIII sites. Owners attempting this mod should be prudent when exceeding speed limits and realize that the Mark VIII has a feature that lowers the car even more once you hit highway speeds.

The problem is; once the car is modified and lowered using the sensor method, you are effectively driving your Mark around with even less air pressure in the airbags, as if you are driving the car around town with its suspension set permanently at the lowered Hwy speed position, which in this case is still within safe design parameters. The problem occurs when driving this sensor lowered car at highway speeds and the M8 lowering feature kicks in and lowers the car even more. Yes, lowers even more!

Now, with even less air pressure in the bags and it beyond design parameters, the car will have a tendency of oscillating unpredictably like a rocking boat at each and every road trough and undulation. So if you ever hit an unforeseen dip or rut at Hwy speeds or encounter a sharp bend, especially at night, just be mindful that at high speeds, the suspension will no longer have that firmness and control it once had before the mod. You could potentially bounce out of control or bottom-out causing costly suspension damage.

Just be cautious out there and realize the potential hazard you now inherit when sensor modding your Mark.

Be safe everyone!
Yes, this is partly true. This is why I didn't lower the car too much, to compensate for the car lowering at high speeds. I have had this car up to 90 MPH on the thruway around here without any bottoming out. It doesn't ride much differently from my 1990 Mustang with lowering springs.

Rear are 245/50R17 the Fronts are 225/55R17. The fronts are a taller tire than the rears. The fronts should be 225/50R17 just haven't changed them yet. They don't rub at all.
If you switch to a 225/50/17 you may have a problem with traction control and your M8 not accelerating, due to the difference in tire diameter. Stock tire diameter is 26.6. For traction control to work all 4 tires need to be the same or close to the same diameter.
your 245/50/17 =26.6
your 225/55/17 =26.7
if you change front to 225/50/17 = 25.9 and that may be enough difference for the system not to work - if so, the traction control will turn on while accelerating and slow down the car. I had two different sizes on where the M8 wouldn't go above 35 mph.

you can compare different tires sizes here with the below link - width, height and rim/tire size (16, 17, 18 etc) all play a part in over all diameter.

Tire Size Comparison

Last edited:
When I lowered my '96 Mark VIII (just a base Mark) in the mid 2000's, I had to elongate the the bolt holes for the studs (IIRC) to get the car a little lower, as there was too much gap between the fender and tires (stock tire height on stock rims) and the front/rear at bottom of the stock mount resulted in a rake (hence tweaking the holes). I ran that car HARD on the highway, and it saw tons of prolonged highway usage w/o issue over the years. As far as I can remember, that car was able to hit 130-135 by turning off OD. Car remained stable, despite being a hilly turn pike. Brakes didn't like it, but body/ride wasn't an issue on THAT car ;)

Be safe everyone!
I'll be advised. I don't roll the dice. Happy to drive one thats safe

If you switch to a 225/50/17 you may have a problem with traction control and your M8 not accelerating, due to the difference in tire diameter. Stock tire diameter is 26.6. For traction control to work all 4 tires need to be the same or close to the same diameter.
your 245/50/17 =26.6
your 225/55/17 =26.7
if you change front to 225/50/17 = 25.9 and that may be enough difference for the system not to work - if so, the traction control will turn on while accelerating and slow down the car. I had two different sizes on where the M8 wouldn't go above 35 mph.

you can compare different tires sizes here with the below link - width, height and rim/tire size (16, 17, 18 etc) all play a part in over all diameter.

Tire Size Comparison
Great info, thanks

Members online

No members online now.
Back