Low on all 4's

FDPuma

LVC Member
Reaction score
I Have A 1989 Lincoln Continental. My Trouble Is:

The Car Is Low On All Four Side. Previous Owner Said Air Bags Are Fine. Air Compressor Works And Pumps Air But Does Not Raise Car.
Please Help.

Frank

The Car Is Low On All Four Side. Previous Owner Said Air Bags Are Fine. Air Compressor Works And Pumps Air But Does Not Raise Car.
Please Help.

Frank

FDPuma said:

Please Help.

Frank

First guess would be a bad compressor and/or leaking rear air struts. The only way to know for sure if the compressor can cut the mustard, is with a compressor pressure gauge. Unfortunately, these are very hard to find and most dealerships don't even have one.

As far as testing the struts for leak(s), you may be able to find a leak with a soapy water solution, but if its really down low, you may not be able to see the bubbles.

What reason does he give to know the air struts are ok?....have they been replaced?....if so, what kind were they?

Even though the compressor "works", it still has to be able to produce 120 psi minimum to do its job. Say its pumping, but only 75 psi. It won't have the mustard to raise the car up.

Keep in mind that the module or "brain" will only try to make a raising adjustment to one end or the other, but never both at the same time. Also, say the module tries to raise the rear of the car first and can't do it for whatever reason in 90 seconds. The module will give up, turn the check suspension message on, shut down the system and not even try to go further and raise the front. In other words, if the module doesn't fullfill the first goal, it won't even try to do the second.

Try this: Turn the ignition on and listen for a faint double click. Listen to see if the clicking came from the rear or the front(most likely the rear). If it came from say the rear, try putting a floorjack under the rearend, then turn the ignition on. Don't jack it up too high, just below normal ride height.(if its too high, it'll just vent all the air out) It may pump up doing this because your helping the compressor and doing most of the work. It also may help because the crack(s) in the rubber are sealing up enough to allow the pressure to build.

If you can ever get it up one last time, turn the suspension switch off and drive it. If you have a leak, it'll go down on that corner(s).

http://www.americanairsuspension.com/cont pag.htm

Let me know what you come up with. If you would like to talk about this problem, don't hesitate to call at: 1-423-487-4321.

I'll Double Check To See If They Were Replaced. I Asked Him Three Times Though. The Car Was "free" And He Did Just Want It Out Of His Yard. Thanks You Very Much For That Information, And I'll Let U Know How It Comes Out.

Frank

BTW, look under the hood and on top of the compressor. Do you see a shraeder valve(kind of like a tire valve)?

The earlier models like yours had this valve. You can go somewhere with an air compressor(shop or someones garage) and put air pressure on this valve, and even if you do have a leak, the pure volume of air in the compressor tank may allow it to raise up. IMPORTANT: Turn on the ignition, then put air pressure to the valve. In other words, you have to wait for the module to open up the solenoids so air can flow in the struts. You can put all the air you want to in the lines, but if the solenoids don't open up, NO AIR will go in the struts.

Okay, Tried To Push Air Through The Shraeder Valve And No Lift Any Where. Also, I Tried To Push Air With And Without The Air Compressor On. The Air Dryer Did Get Rather Warm And There Was Air Coming Out Right Before The Air Dryer. ( If Could Feel It With My Finger, Right Where The Dryer Twists In). One More Thing Can I Use The Air Bags Of A 1994 Town Car On This 1989 Continental?

Fdpuma

FDPuma said:
Okay, Tried To Push Air Through The Shraeder Valve And No Lift Any Where. Also, I Tried To Push Air With And Without The Air Compressor On. The Air Dryer Did Get Rather Warm And There Was Air Coming Out Right Before The Air Dryer. ( If Could Feel It With My Finger, Right Where The Dryer Twists In). One More Thing Can I Use The Air Bags Of A 1994 Town Car On This 1989 Continental?

Fdpuma

Well, it was worth a shot. The time to try to put air in the system would have been when the compressor was running on its own, not while being hotwired or anything, because this is when the module has opened the solenoid(s) and is trying to raise the car. I'll assume you did that. (if not, try it again) I'll also assume you were using a compressor with a tank that had some decent volume(not one of those Hess gas station pumps).

If you have air leaking by the o-ring that seals the dryer to the compressor, most likely the car has had leak(s) for a long time and has overworked/overheated the compressor. The o-ring that seals the dryer to the compressor is probably deformed from getting so hot.

The air suspension parts on the Town Car will not swap out with the Continental. The '88-'94 Continental has "Air Struts" on all 4 corners. The Town Car has "Air Springs" on he rear only. An air strut is a strut with an air chamber wrapped around it. In other words, the air strut is a shock and spring all in one.

An air spring is like a balloon wrapped around a top and bottom plastic base. It has no shock and takes place of a coil spring.

Unless your stuck on the air suspension, at this point I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper to do a coil conversion($435) than replace the compressor($150) and 2 air struts($330). With the age of the car in mind, possibly 4 struts & compressor($820).

Low and all 4's

Thanks Eddie. I did try to air the car up like you mentioned. And yes was planning on doing the conversion. I'll get an O-Ring 1st. The car is a work in progress, being it needs to be painted also, no hurry. It's a REAL learning experience. A good one at that, cause I also have a Deep Jewel Green
1993 Mark VIII. Bought the 93 for $4000.00 2 years aga and lucked out with the other 2. Again thank you very much for your help.

fdPUMA

Okay I'm back. Ran the car up a set of long ramps to get on a set of car ramps, then tried to jack up the car (with the air ride suspension on) but the tires would not come off the ramp. Is this a good sign or bad. Got dark, so I'll try with the air ride suspension off in the morning.

with air suspension on or off, you still will reach the travel limit of the struts, and it should lift the wheels. I am guessing you didn't get it high enough up in the air.

Members online

Back