low oil level / noisy air-ride / rattly startup

sweetride

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of issues with my 96 LSC (72k miles) .

I'm getting a 'low oil level' randomly displaying , it resets ok . It showed up after having the water pump replaced , is there a sensor that could have been accidently damaged by the mechanic ? Oil level is fine and the garage said the oil pressure is good , i'm not sure how they verified the oil pressure .

My air-ride is getting very noisy , i assume it is the compressor making all the racket . Is there any self maintenance that i can do to help quiet the thing ?

The rattle at cold start is getting pretty loud . It's done this since the car was new but it's getting to the point that i would like to try an addative to quiet it down . Any suggestions ?

I'm getting a 'low oil level' randomly displaying , it resets ok . It showed up after having the water pump replaced , is there a sensor that could have been accidently damaged by the mechanic ? Oil level is fine and the garage said the oil pressure is good , i'm not sure how they verified the oil pressure .

They should not have been anywhere near that sensor. Its located on the pan, very close to the drain plug. The sensor is two part, both oil level ad oil temperature.

My air-ride is getting very noisy , i assume it is the compressor making all the racket . Is there any self maintenance that i can do to help quiet the thing ?

Noisy in what way? Im gonna guess that its rattling in the front. The compressor mounts go bad and it sorta flops around on the studs. Easy fix.

The rattle at cold start is getting pretty loud . It's done this since the car was new but it's getting to the point that i would like to try an addative to quiet it down . Any suggestions ?

Anti-drain back oil filter maybe. But how long does it last?

They should not have been anywhere near that sensor. Its located on the pan, very close to the drain plug. The sensor is two part, both oil level ad oil temperature.

i'll have that sensor replaced

Noisy in what way? Im gonna guess that its rattling in the front. The compressor mounts go bad and it sorta flops around on the studs. Easy fix.

more of a groaing sound , like an old camel trying to get up , i'll check the compressor mounts though

Anti-drain back oil filter maybe. But how long does it last?

I use 10w-30 regular oil . Will somebody like Napa carry that filter for the Mark ? When the car had a few thousand miles the sound at cold-start lasted for a split second , now it's more like a second to a second and a half . It's a real pain in the ass if someone is nearby when i start the car and the engine rattles away and the compressor starts it's groaning ./I]

The sensor is not cheap and the oil has to come out to do so. But its a very DIY project. Easy to get to.

Thats the compressor mounts most likely.

Never had to get a filter like it, not sure where to get one.

Recommended filter: Motorcraft FL820S - available at most part stores and Walmart!

Why are you using 10w 30 oil? 5w 30 or 5w 20 is what is recommended by Ford.

The sensor is not cheap and the oil has to come out to do so. But its a very DIY project. Easy to get to.

ok , it should be safe to wait for the next oil change to replace it .

Thats the compressor mounts most likely.

thanks , i'll check them

Never had to get a filter like it, not sure where to get one.

I'll ask around

Last edited:
Recommended filter: Motorcraft FL820S - available at most part stores and Walmart!

Why are you using 10W 30 oil? 5w 30 or 5w 20 is what is recommended by Ford.

That is the filter i use . Started using 10w 30 last April , 5w 30 before that .
The hope was that the slightly heavier oil would better control cold start rattle . The car is stored in the winter but i do start it occassionally and it is whisper quiet at start-up .

Ah... ok. You are already using the 'good' filter with the anti drain back valve. Personally, id just stick with the correct weight oil and put up with the noise - mine does it also on initial start up - but only for a second - i wouldn't worry about it too much.

For compressor mounts try Eddie at American Air Suspension (doesnt list them on his site, but may have some)

www.americanairsuspension.com

This company lists them on their site:

http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LINCOLN_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid2_pid7.html

Hopefully it is just the mounts, but if its the compressor thats toast, then a rebuilt one from Eddie is supposedly the best option.

The cold start rattle is most likely the timing chain tensioners leaking down and allowing the chains to momentarily "flop" a little until the oil pressure builds back up. This is a common problem on Gen1 Mark VIII's. My '96 does it too. It is somewhat embarrassing, but it's too expensive to have fixed and it doesn't do any real harm. The "groaning" sound is probably the air suspension compressor. When they get some age on them, they start to sound labored. Mine does that too. The compressor will eventually fail. But I'm going to let mine go till it dies. They're expensive too and you have to take the whole front bumper cover off to replace them.

You can take out air compressor via plastic fender liner removal - much easier than taking bumper cover off, imo.

The "groaning" sound is probably the air suspension compressor. When they get some age on them, they start to sound labored. Mine does that too. The compressor will eventually fail. But I'm going to let mine go till it dies. They're expensive too and you have to take the whole front bumper cover off to replace them.

I thought you could go in through the fenderwell? And Eddie has them on the site for $155. I don't think that is expensive.

You can take out air compressor via plastic fender liner removal - much easier than taking bumper cover off, imo.

Cool! I'll try that when/if I have to replace mine. Of course my info comes from a Ford dealership mechanic. And the fact that the compressor is under the air cleaner box also made me think the worst about taking it out.

Members online

No members online now.
Back