Loud Electric Fan?

xford

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
My electric fan on my 2006 seems like it got louder recently. It appears it is coming on at proper intervals and there are no strange sounds. No overheating or any other symptoms. It just sounds like a normal fan but at a louder high pitch. Any ideas?? Car has 63k on it.

Air in the cooling system.

I did a coolant flush and thermostat change and it went away.

My 06 did recently did the same thing. After the engine warmed up the fan would turn on full speed and stay on full speed till I shut it off. The temp gauge always registered normal temperatures.

This was the problem. I replaced it and the degas bottle and it went back to normal.

IMG_0108.jpg

My 06 did recently did the same thing. After the engine warmed up the fan would turn on full speed and stay on full speed till I shut it off. The temp gauge always registered normal temperatures.

This was the problem. I replaced it and the degas bottle and it went back to normal.

IMG_0108.jpg

Thanks, do you know what then part # is? Is it OEM?

I ordered from rockauto and it says Motorcraft part # RH134 and RT1163.

I ordered from rockauto and it says Motorcraft part # RH134 and RT1163.

Max (ad to right) has the OEM parts. I don't know which (if either) is better.

BTW, you would be wise to replace the degas bottle at the same time.

I've only replaced the upper radiator hose on my V8. For those of us "new" the V8, is that the t-stat and housing?

I've only replaced the upper radiator hose on my V8. For those of us "new" the V8, is that the t-stat and housing?

Yes, the front part of the housing. The back part of the housing is what cracked on me (as well as the plastic part of the upper hose and the degas bottle.) I went ahead and replaced most of the other plastic cooling system parts at the same time. I think it was about $500 in parts.

Took the LS to the Ford/Linc dealer today as my car is still under its Certified Pre-Owned Warranty (expires in April 2012) . They got a P1285 code which I am told is a cylinder head overheat sensor. My car has never overheated to my knowledge so I am not sure why that code was thrown. If anyone can provide insight I would appreciate it. They did determine the T-Stat was stuck closed and replaced the entire assembly...good news total cost to me was $100 and they fan is back to normal.

Secondly, My butt meter seems to tell me my SCT Tune is gone. Can anyone confirm that when they ran the codes did my PCM most likely get re-flashed and my tune subsequently erased?

One final question, on the receipt after the PCM code it states "PPT Test B" anyone know what that is?

Thanks in advance...

Took the LS to the Ford/Linc dealer today as my car is still under its Certified Pre-Owned Warranty (expires in April 2012) . They got a P1285 code which I am told is a cylinder head overheat sensor. My car has never overheated to my knowledge so I am not sure why that code was thrown. If anyone can provide insight I would appreciate it. They did determine the T-Stat was stuck closed and replaced the entire assembly...good news total cost to me was $100 and they fan is back to normal.

Secondly, My butt meter seems to tell me my SCT Tune is gone. Can anyone confirm that when they ran the codes did my PCM most likely get re-flashed and my tune subsequently erased?

One final question, on the receipt after the PCM code it states "PPT Test B" anyone know what that is?

Thanks in advance...

Yes, it was overheating - you said the fan was running at maximum.
Just pulling codes wouldn't alter your tune, but they may have done a PCM update just so they could charge the warranty a little more.

PINPOINT TEST B: THE ENGINE OVERHEATS

Found here:
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33003.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_131

Yes, it was overheating - you said the fan was running at maximum.
Just pulling codes wouldn't alter your tune, but they may have done a PCM update just so they could charge the warranty a little more.

PINPOINT TEST B: THE ENGINE OVERHEATS

Found here:
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x33003.htm~gen~ref.htm#extract_131

Thanks for the info as always Joegr,

By "not overheating" I mean that I never saw the temp gauge elevated even slightly and never had any warning indicators on the dash just the fan on max periodically. I guess the sensor is more sensitive than the gauge or the fan did a good enough job to avoid any significant temp increase? Seems a little crazy to me that the sensor would give a code but the driver have no indication other than the fan noise...

Thanks for the info as always Joegr,

By "not overheating" I mean that I never saw the temp gauge elevated even slightly and never had any warning indicators on the dash just the fan on max periodically. I guess the sensor is more sensitive than the gauge or the fan did a good enough job to avoid any significant temp increase? Seems a little crazy to me that the sensor would give a code but the driver have no indication other than the fan noise...

There are different levels of overheat. The code is stored to help troubleshoot the issue. The gauge doesn't start moving past half way until you are already in trouble. Ford decided some time back that most people don't understand gauges and the fact that temperature and oil pressure will vary some dependent on conditions. So, their oil pressure gauges only ever read zero or exactly half way. The temperature gauge is a little better, but it stays exactly in the middle for a pretty wide range of temperatures.

Members online

Back