Lost key...

98toreadorLSC

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I lost my only key to the Mark VIII. Story short.
I know if you take the title with the VIN # and your drivers license you can get a new one made at the Ford dealer.
Has anyone done this or know how much this cost?
I know they are quite expensive but I just want to get an idea.

I remember back in the day I had a Grand Prix with a chip in the actual key part itself, I know it's a different kind of key, but I took the title to the dealer and they charged me $35 and needed my license, but I don't know if they can do that with these or not.

i was told by a ford dealer that this was not possible on my 94 when Bell Tire broke half the key off in the ignition hours away from home. they said the car was too old for that, I have no ideal what year they started keeping track. their solution was to stick the half of the key in and use a screwdriver, that they asked that i return after having a key made for my car upon returning home. :mad:

if you call a good locksmith he will be able to come out and custom cut one for you. what he will do is take a blank key and wiggle it around inside the lock until the tumblers make marks on the blank, then he will take a cutting tool and cut out where the marks are until there are no more marks.

costs like $100-$150 if it has a chip he wil also be able to scan the car for the correct freq.

And how's he gonna get it to sync with the PATS?

many ways the locksmith should have a computer that will kinda relearn the code. or XK04 Self learning Bypass module (69.95)
will bypass the PATS system in your vehicle
for good. See this at www.BYPASSMODULES.com . so yes I can steal your car... sleep tight

remember pats is almost 20 year old technology. we have ways around it

some decent info on passive anti theft system

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/pats.htm

the locksmith has a computer like ($20k worth of computer) that will find the correct pats R"red key code" and then program the new key into the system.. some of these computers have a pay per use option, the locksmith pays like $20 per use of the computer plus like $8-$10k for the actual computer. the get all the new codes and updates with that system.
I actually learned all this from a like 2 hour drunken conversation with a locksmith at a bar in Mansfield TX one night.
and i am probably not exactly right on the process but i know it can be done. i have seen it done on cars with rolling code systems. apparently pats is a single frequency per key system

Last edited:
take it to the dealer, get 3 new keys made and be done. Call around and ask the dealers, they use an NGS programmer.

With PATS II, you should always have 3 keys, you need 2 to program a new key yourself, so keep three to be safe.

Call the dealership. The key should be around $40 and probably another $40 to program it. I would suggest buying at least 2 keys. you will only have to pay one program fee. Best and easiest way to do it. Any Ford dealership will either have the keys in stock, or can get them overnight.

I was offered a 89' Trans Am but the owner lost the key so he is your just gonna have to scrap the car now. I have the title so I guess I'm gonna be hitting the GM dealership and paying more than I want to for a key :mad:

I bought a 97 with no keys last year. Dealer said it was too old for them to make a key. I called a locksmith who was able to make a key and program it, but had to make 2 keys to get it to program. Cost $150. Or you could buy a used lock cylinder with keys and scil module and swap them out.

Lock smith as mentioned can make it happen i lost only set of keys to my old 95 base and called dealership and was told it was to old, called locksmith had new key cut then about week later found original keys

if you still have both parts of the old key anyone with a manual machine can duplicate it. I would do a plain key to make sure it worked, then I would cut the pats keys and have them programed. we charge 60 to program the pats keys and Moes8 is correct...3 should be the min qty of keys. The last year available from ford on line is now 2003 so your Mark is way before that.
Max

Members online

Back