lost a friend to drunk driving

danny_holtermann

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
You know it happens all the time, but one thing you never think of is that it could happen to anyone at any time. This past sunday morning I lost one of my best friends, he was driving home drunk form a bar just down the road from his house. Knowing him he was probably going as fast as his gtp could go and went off to the right side of the road and overcorrected the turn, and went barrel rolling into a field tossing him out. At the scene of the crash later that day i have never seen any more carnage in my life. walking through the field we found his shoe he was wearing, center consoule lid, rear view mirrow, all sorts of sensor and plastic trim. That day i went to his parent house and they were just devastated, there was not one friend there that did not have a tear in their eye. So please next time you drink and drive don't think about yourself, think of everyone else.

http://www.htrnews.com/article/20100830/MAN0101/100830087/Man-21-killed-in-single-car-crash-near-Newton

sorry to hear about your loss. i lost two of my closest friends up north, not at the same time, but both were killed by drunks, one died on a river in his boat after being hit by a much larger boat, the other was killed by a drunk driver in a rented penske semi truck. sucks man.

Sorry to hear about your friend. A couple of years back I had a good friend Passaway from drinking and driving. One good thing came out of it and it was that alot of my friends that used to drive drunk don't do it anymore. Its to bad it takes a tragedy for people to learn.

so how did you guys cope, i mean i can't go ten minutes without tearing up, i am trying to keep busy and keep my mind off of it but there is just no getting the thought of him in that accident out of my head and the knowing of i will never see or hear him again.

I reallyappreciate all this, Lvc is like an extended family for me

its rough to cope man but believe me your other close friends will be there too... just remember the good times and the fun you use to have and help someone else learn from his mistake... i know a lot of people that drink and drive but its just not worth the risk (i have even done it a time or 2) but just know your LVC family is here to help too...

It's hard to cope ... I still miss my good friend Jibit from this site ... miss him dearly ...

What I do is just keep the memories alive and talk with friends about the good times.

Hang in there and just keep his spirit alive .. Good luck good friend.

my buddy who died in the boat accident, that was hard for me to cope because i saw him everyday, his dad was my boss, he owned an auto repair shop, most of what i learned, i learned from his dad, but being with his dad everyday after that happend made it a little better for us, he was a great kid, funny bastard too. we just talked about all the funny times we had with him, and how goofy he was all the time it made it easier. my other buddy who died on his way to work, all of our friends throw a huge pigroast every year on his birthday at his older brothers house, the pictures come out, all the beer bottle coozies have his picture on them, he was awesome, another total comedian, he was a desert storm vet, he had full military honors at the funeral, we still talk about him like he is still here, he's been dead about 6 years now. its tough man, just be with friends and remember the times you had, not the times you wont have.

Thanks, Ya it happened right in newton, im sure you seen it in the papers

there is no real way to cope...just try and remember him for what he was and the good times you shared together. he probably wouldn't want you to feel so miserable about everything thats goin on. its times like this that you have to be strong for those who cant, like his parents. all you can do is inform others and hope maybe people will listen and not drive drunk anymore. good luck. i know what it feels like. hang in there.

The carnage and destruction of an auto accident can't be put into words.
When you can only begin to conceptualize it, you find yourself with a very different perspective of the dangers of driving.

But this thread is about you, not your friend.
So there's no need for anyone to preach or make observations of your friends judgment that night.

I lost a friend pretty recently. He was very young but died of a cardiac arrest, most likely brought about by his own weakness. He left behind two children.

It's painful.
There's not much you can do about it.
Compartmentalize it and move on. Remember the good times, support his family.

I just lost a friend to the bottle, drank himself to death really. I am just trying to put that part aside and think of the times we were in grade school together, makes it easier.

When my wife died, I had to take second by second, hour by hour and day by day. You just have to get thru each day and as the days go one it will get better but you will never forget him. Sorry for your lost.

Peace.

well today is going to be the hardest, his family has asked me to be a paulbearer, and that is only making it worse, but i am coming to terms with it, i know one thing for sure, all of my friends have become much closer, just sucks that it took the life of one of our greatest friends to do that

Sorry for your loss.

Its hell.

mistermaclincoln advice is how I deal with a loss like yours.

Head up feel your friend inside you...he is there.

When my wife died, I had to take second by second, hour by hour and day by day. You just have to get thru each day and as the days go one it will get better but you will never forget him. Sorry for your lost.

Peace.
wow. I'm sorry to read that happened to you.

You know it happens all the time, but one thing you never think of is that it could happen to anyone at any time. This past sunday morning I lost one of my best friends, he was driving home drunk form a bar just down the road from his house. Knowing him he was probably going as fast as his gtp could go and went off to the right side of the road and overcorrected the turn, and went barrel rolling into a field tossing him out. At the scene of the crash later that day i have never seen any more carnage in my life. walking through the field we found his shoe he was wearing, center consoule lid, rear view mirrow, all sorts of sensor and plastic trim. That day i went to his parent house and they were just devastated, there was not one friend there that did not have a tear in their eye. So please next time you drink and drive don't think about yourself, think of everyone else.

http://www.htrnews.com/article/20100830/MAN0101/100830087/Man-21-killed-in-single-car-crash-near-Newton
Its surprising how often this still happens even with the laws the way they have been. I see it all the time and I still can't believe how often, sorry for your loss.

Members online

No members online now.
Back