Looking for new car in the $7000-$8000 range...

djKale

Dearly Departed Friend
Reaction score
Being a current Mark VIII owner, of course I want to get a newer (97-98) Mark VIII, and I just might do that, but I want to keep my options open. Besides, a four door would be more comfortable even though the Mark has proven it can haul 2 adults, 1 child and a baby no problem.

The G/F needs a new car to replace her 4x4 Toyota and as I mentioned we have a 1 year old daughter and a 12 year old as well. I know you guys are gonna clown and suggest a minivan but that's not going to happen :)

Vehicles that we have been considering are the mid 90s Cadillac STS, Acura Legend, Toyota 4Runner, and 1998 Lincoln Town Car. I would personally like to swoop up a 4.6L SOHC Cougar or Tbird since they seem to be selling for cheap, and both would make excellent sleepers, but I think if I were going to get a 2 door, it would be a Mark VIII. Plus this is supposed to be "for her", if you know what I mean...

Just looking for opinions.

Kale

I think the STS is a very good idea, especially if you want to stay with the luxury/performance theme.

Crown Vics are abundant, reliable, and relatively inexpensive to buy and repair. Not to mention they are easy to soap up. ;) If you need 4x4 you should look into a Subaru. I'm personally not a fan of them, but they are great AWD vehicles. In the SUV department I am really biased to Jeep, either the Cherokee or a Grand Cherokee. The I6 4.0L is tried and true, and will run for well over 200k with little complaint.

You've thrown a lot of different vehicles out there. I think we can give you better suggestions if you go more for what you want out of it. Tell us which is most important: performance, raw power, handling, comfort, luxury, bells-and-whistles, safety (airbags, crash ratings), looks, price, fuel economy, etc.

RRocket and I both made the switch to the Lexus GS 400 and we are both very happy with them so far. VERY.

He said $7000-8000 grand. Let me know where I can buy a GS400 for that kind of dough and I'll join the club.
icon12.gif

I would absolutely go town car out of the list you gave me. The only reason for that vs the STS is the sts sounded older.

Sorry, you couldnt get me in any of the foreign jobs.

Well I drove a 95 STS today and I liked the car a lot. Seller was an older gentleman who has been buying Cadillacs from the same dealer since 1978 so it was garaged and WELL taken care of...I offered him $6000. I don't think he's going to take it. The car had 119K so I'm not too crazy about the mileage, esp. since there's a 96 SLS for $7895 with only 72K on the clock.

I'm gonna stay patient and do some good research. The Pontiac GTP and an older GS300/400 might make the ist as well. As far as what I'm looking for, I'm just trying to make the most of my money. A four door luxury car/SUV was the original intent. The g/f really liked the STS.

Kale

What about a 2000-01 Lincoln LS-6? I've seen a few down here in GA between 8-10K
I also know they might be a little less expensive up north as cars depreciate a little quicker. Check out the November issue of Motor Trend, they have a glowing pre-owned article on the LS.
(p.s. If you're looking @ a Thunderbird, avoid the '94-95 models; myself and a few friends that have owned a T-bird of that vintage have had horrible experiences with them!) (ME: 2 Engines and a Tranny in 18 months?!?)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been checking ebay and it looks like you can get some great deals, but I would never buy a car without driving it first. What happens if you have a problem? And what about shipping/pickup of the car???

The 1998 Seville looks like the one that I really want to get. I really like the instrument panel and the overall interior styling much better on the 98. Of course, we're talking a bit more cash though. I'm gonna get out there today and see what's available.

Kale

If you want, I can help you find one. What I do is, call the ebay auctioneer, work out a deal, sign a contract making the car yours based upon final inspection, no deposit, ever, fly down and see the car. If you don't like it, your out a plane ticket. If you do, enjoy the drive home. Take your time, enjoy life.

I've bought 5 cars in last 2 years off ebay for myself and others and they have all turned out great. The key is to get them to send good pictures so you don't waste your time. Also do some research on that particular make of vehicle and its problems so you know what to look for.

It is not as hard as it first seems. Alot of guys are wholesaling cars on ebay. They buy them off the dealer below wholesale and then make a small mark on them, usually $400-1000, which is way below what the dealer needs to get with the dealer pack and margin they need to make.

Good Luck. The '98 is a very good choice. I'd buy one.

Okay I see know how the ebay deals work, that helps out a lot. In my case, I just don't have the time to fly out to check out a car.

I drove a 99 STS Black on Black, 70K miles, just an absolutely beautiful car. It's the car I wanted before I bought my Mark. They wanted $16,999, I offered the guy $12K and drove home in my Lincoln. I think we could have made a deal at $14K, but that's about $6K more than I wanted to spend and I would have had to finance it.

I also drove a 96 SLS that was an awesome car as well. The interior on the 96 was nicer than the 95 I drove. I think the car I will end up with will be a black on black 96 STS. So I'm still looking...

Kale

If you're considering a Town Car, consider ANY year Lexus LS400. You could get a very nice one for $8,000.

Members online

No members online now.
Back