Looking for advice on possible sale.

blowngt

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So I'm getting the bug to get into a coyote based GT and will have to sell the Mark to get it done.

Its a 97 black/black LSC (130k miles) with every option (minus homelink but I do have the visor that I need to install). She has a fresh $4000 paint job (all the windows were removed during the process), new rear windshield, rims, full exhaust, NOS dry kit, headlights were polished and look brand new, added navigation and custom grey burl wood interior accents) . Interior is an 8 out of 10 and I was about to have the front seats redone (no tears, I just wanted them brand new).

Waiting to be installed are:

Forged shortblock, and C heads
03 Cobra supercharger

My plan was to just get it done and enjoy, however, now if I go the coyote route sadly she has to go.

I know I'll never get everything I have into her right now, but what would be a realistic market
price for the car the way it sits??

What about if I decide to install the block and supercharger (I'll do the labor so I'll just be out time and gaskets).

Take pictures and list everything separate, also offer a package price (take all at one time). You'll have a lot more possibilities of selling you stuff., and save the head ache of trying to do the trans-plant.

I would sell the SC separately and ask $4,500 for the car.

Wow, I had no idea the market had gotten so bad for these cars. I know they're not fetching top dollar any more, but I'll take quite a beating if that's all she's bring.

Take pictures and list everything separate, also offer a package price (take all at one time). You'll have a lot more possibilities of selling you stuff., and save the head ache of trying to do the trans-plant.

I considered that as well, but my experiences have taught me that everyone is looking for a deal (or should I say steal). While I know I won't get every penny I have into her back, I don't have to give everything away. Who knows though, I may find someone who finds value in having everything ready to finish her up (shortblock is assembled, heads are ready to go on and I've got a box full of gaskets and hardware)

I'm on the fence about the entire thing as it is. I've been looking at selling my twin turbo stang and mark to help finance a coyote turbo build. If it doesn't happen then so be it. I'll just finish her up and enjoy.

Thanks for the honest feedback guys!!!

Marks aren't good resale cars. Horribly so. For what you've put into it I would keep it until doomsday, you'd be on the luckier side to recoup the cost of that paint job alone.

That seems about right. You have to remember, it's a 17yo car with 130k. Pics would be nice.

Completely understand. Well built fox bodies are fetching upwards of 10k, so while age has plays a factor, it's more of what's in demand.

I didn't want to turn this into a 4sale thread, but here are a few pics just so everyone see's what I'm working with (don't have any recent ones after the paint and rear windshield, but aside from original moldings she's showroom floor perfect on the outside).

Your car has the look of true pride of ownership. All the little things are taken care of, save the no2 bottle in the trunk. I am assuming the plumbing is all done on the engine? The gas additive would preclude me from considering a purchase, but that is a personal thing. I am always in favor of us getting top dollar for our cars. A rising tide floats all boats. Good luck.

dont take a penny under $4500. If I were you, I'd sell stuff inside of my house first. Theres just too many mods to get anything even close to what you put in it. Beautiful car as well. You just got her to the "enjoy it" stage. I would do exactly that.

Your car looks great dude you'll sell it fast.

+1

You'd get more then 4500, I'm sure. I've seen some higher prices on ebay... and I mean bids not ask's. It might depend where you live though... Especially if you put up a lot of good pictures, some of the paint job in progress etc...

Also from what I've seen terminator swapped Mark's can bring low teens because think about it, that's still half price compared to a mustang terminator

ask Diesel Dan how the market is on customized Mark VIII's :shifty:
---it looks like your car is basically stock, except for the NOS?, the new paint job and wood trim will make it sell faster, but not increase the value; your car has 5x4.25" 17" Cobra style rims? still on air or std height coils? front end rebuild yet? neon? BDA? telescope? cup holder? any CEL's? it already had true duals, what did you do to the exh?
if the suspension is all orig, that's a huge consideration
-----
I gave 700 for my ivory 96 with 109k miles, it needed suspension and an ofa gask, bda

Just curious how a 4k paint job wouldn't increase the value? A car with faded paint and a pealing clear coat is going to be worth the same?...

I just saw a 24k mile second gen with a cracked front bumper sell for $3500 on EBay. In 10-15 years the market may be there, now it is not.

well, let's say a $4k paint job increases value the same as a $1500 paint job?....imo, if a car needs paint it decreases the value more than a 'new' paint job increases the value. Unfortunately, Mark VIII's are not 'hip, slick,' or 'cool' for any one specific target group. It's a ltd group of people who find marks highly desirable

I bought a 98 Mark VIII last year for 7k that had 80k. It is stock and in mint condition. On eBay I see nice ones with a lot of pictures go for 6k.

yeah they have some real nice ones on ebay...theres a white LSC on there right now that was owned by an old lady....thing looks brand spanking new.

don't believe everything you see on fleabay...value is also largely determined by region...a near mint stock car will be worth more than a modded car- not all mods are done properly

For me.. I'd pay more for a car that doesn't have a nos bottle in the trunk.

Something to consider.

I guess this is a hijack, muh bad.... but re; gen 2's, it seems like the 98 has a better tranny but if an abs rear sensor goes out you're screwed...is there anything other than the trans that makes 98's more desirable than 97s?

I think this young man is just looking for encouragement, so let's give him some, huh? Reality of the market in his area will become apparent soon enough. The car is solid and obviously well cared for by a fan of the Mark. Make sure it is spotless and clean at all times and maybe pay a pro to take the pictures, especially if you go the eBay route. I cannot imagine a scenario where having the bottle in the trunk increases the value. You may want to reconsider that. Good luck with your sale.

ask Diesel Dan how the market is on customized Mark VIII's :shifty:
---it looks like your car is basically stock, except for the NOS?, the new paint job and wood trim will make it sell faster, but not increase the value; your car has 5x4.25" 17" Cobra style rims? still on air or std height coils? front end rebuild yet? neon? BDA? telescope? cup holder? any CEL's? it already had true duals, what did you do to the exh?
if the suspension is all orig, that's a huge consideration
-----
I gave 700 for my ivory 96 with 109k miles, it needed suspension and an ofa gask, bda

Those are 18" replica Saleen wheels - 5x4.5 - Air ride still intact with the bags being replaced less than 2 years ago - no front end issues - neon works perfect - not sure what a DBA is - telescope and cup holder still functional - it throws no codes - exhaust was increased to 2.5" duals with magnaflow resonator and mufflers.

For me.. I'd pay more for a car that doesn't have a nos bottle in the trunk.

Something to consider.

Agreed. That was purchased with the car. I did a leak down and compression test prior buying it just to make sure and everything was good to go. I've never used the bottle since I've had it.

I think this young man is just looking for encouragement, so let's give him some, huh? Reality of the market in his area will become apparent soon enough. The car is solid and obviously well cared for by a fan of the Mark. Make sure it is spotless and clean at all times and maybe pay a pro to take the pictures, especially if you go the eBay route. I cannot imagine a scenario where having the bottle in the trunk increases the value. You may want to reconsider that. Good luck with your sale.

I appreciate the comments!!

I pride myself on driving unique vehicles. I just came home from dinner in my 76 MarkIV. if you don't use that bottle and have the car jyst to enjoy it, I think you should keep it and replace your Mustang. Your car is exceptional and I think you will regret selling it. You will see a bunch of Mustangs if you go for a ride but I bet you won't pass another Mark.

don't believe everything you see on fleabay...value is also largely determined by region...a near mint stock car will be worth more than a modded car- not all mods are done properly

Learned my lesson buying a "modded" car. The only modded mark I will concider now is a car like drillers SC CE.

Those are 18" replica Saleen wheels - 5x4.5 - Air ride still intact with the bags being replaced less than 2 years ago - no front end issues - neon works perfect - not sure what a DBA is - telescope and cup holder still functional - it throws no codes - exhaust was increased to 2.5" duals with magnaflow resonator and mufflers.
-----
aha, those are all important factors, esp the newish bags, the hub swap is a big plus, as is the exh; if you don't know what a 'DBA' (blend door actuator) is, then yours still works ...or you live in Fla and never turn the heater on? :shifty:
----
sounds like a solid specimen! You could likely meet a buyer willing to pay over $5k

Members online

No members online now.
Back