Location of Cam position sensor and Crank sensor

67Continental

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I received my 2 replacement sensors in the mail and would like to replace them - but I have no idea where they are! Does anyone have a diagram? Is it a simple enough job, are there any special steps I need to observe?

The cam sensor is located behind the power steering reservior. You will need a 10MM deepwell socket to take the bolts off to get to the sensor. You will need an 8MM socket to take the retaining bolt off for the sensor. Just simply pull the sensor out, then use some of the residual oil that is on the old sensor and lubricate the o-ring on the new sensor.

As for the crank sensor, it is behind the compressor for the A/C. You have to loosen, but do not remove the 3 10MM bolts that hold the A/C compressor in place. Allow the compressor to drop down (of course you will have to remove the serpentine belt too) and you can get to the crank sensor. It too takes an 8MM socket and lube the o-ring on the new sensor as you did for the cam sensor.

Hope that helps.........fresh in my memory since I just did it on a friends car a few days ago.....
:Beer

To add a touch to Ray's advice, while you are at the crank sensor, I would check the wires. Sometimes (most of the time) the wires have corroded and are making intermittent contact.

MonsterMark said:
To add a touch to Ray's advice, while you are at the crank sensor, I would check the wires. Sometimes (most of the time) the wires have corroded and are making intermittent contact.

This is correct. I had a hell of a time trying to figure out my no start problem. tracked it down to those wires. DEFINATLY check those out.

Mike

Untitled-1.jpg

tackled the project today - replaced the cam sensor no problem, so that should take care of my check engine light. i still have a rough idle tho at times - any thoughts?

also, i was unable to replace the crank sensor becuase for the life of me i could not figure out how to remove the ac compressor. i am just going to leave it until i have the broken compressor replaced in a couple of weeks, but is there some magic way to do it?

Here is a pic of where the A/C compressor bolts into the block. Hope this helps a bit.

What you have to do is to:

1) Turn off the suspension in the trunk.

2) Jack up the front of the car and put it on jack stands (if you do not have a lift that is).

3) Remove the serpentine belt.

4) Slide under the car and find the A/C compressor.

5) Locate the (3) 10MM bolts that secure the compressor to the block....there are 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top of the compressor.

6) Loosen COMPLETELY, but do not remove the (3) 10MM bolts that secure the A/C compressor to the block.

7) Slide the A/C compressor out of the way (you will need to slide it as far away as possible.....but
be VERY careful not to break the A/C lines that are attached to the compressor!).

8) Remove the 8MM bolt that secures the crankshaft position sensor to the block.

9) Remove the sensor from block.

10) Use some of the left over oil from removed sensor to lubricate the o-ring on new sensor.

11) Slide new sensor into block.

12) Secure it to the block with the 8MM bolt removed from the old one.

13) Reposition A/C compressor to the block so that the bolts are aligned.

14) While holding the A/C compressor in place, with your hand, start the (3) 10MM bolts that were loosened earlier.

15) Now tighten the (3) 10MM bolts to the block securely.

16) Remove car from jack stands (or lift is so equipped).

17) Lower car back to ground with jack.

18) Place the serpentine belt back on.

19) Turn on suspension in trunk.

20) You are now done..........grap a few :Beer 's

crankpossensor.jpg

Last edited:
1wykdmk8 said:
Here is a pic of where the A/C compressor bolts into the block. Hope this helps a bit.

What you have to do is to:

1) Turn off the suspension in the trunk.

2) Jack up the front of the car and put it on jack stands (if you do not have a lift that is).

3) Remove the serpentine belt.

4) Slide under the car and find the A/C compressor.

5) Locate the (3) 10MM bolts that secure the compressor to the block....there are 2 on the bottom and 1 on the top of the compressor.

6) Loosen COMPLETELY, but do not remove the (3) 10MM bolts that secure the A/C compressor to the block.

7) Slide the A/C compressor out of the way (you will need to slide it as far away as possible.....but
be VERY careful not to break the A/C lines that are attached to the compressor!).

8) Remove the 8MM bolt that secures the crankshaft position sensor to the block.

9) Remove the sensor from block.

10) Use some of the left over oil from removed sensor to lubricate the o-ring on new sensor.

11) Slide new sensor into block.

12) Secure it to the block with the 8MM bolt removed from the old one.

13) Reposition A/C compressor to the block so that the bolts are aligned.

14) While holding the A/C compressor in place, with your hand, start the (3) 10MM bolts that were loosened earlier.

15) Now tighten the (3) 10MM bolts to the block securely.

16) Remove car from jack stands (or lift is so equipped).

17) Lower car back to ground with jack.

18) Place the serpentine belt back on.

19) Turn on suspension in trunk.

20) You are now done..........grap a few :Beer 's

Excelent write up

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
94m5 said:
Excelent write up

Mike

Thanx Mike. I just did one a few weeks ago, and have done QUITE a few since I have owned 3 Mark VIII's myself and have help several others replace theirs.

thank you

sorry about digging up an old thread, but these pictures and Ray's write up were of an incredible amount of help this weekend. had to do this job in my school parking lot over the weekend and this speed everything up greatly. thanks guys. :Beer

Members online

No members online now.
Back