LLSOC Air Intake.. Anyone try it?

Katshot said:
Guys,
I think you're a little confused here. The "siphon" effect that the K&N article refers to is a BAD thing and it's caused by air running across any opening at a right angle. This creates a localized low-pressure pocket at the top of the opening (top of the velocity stack for example) which in turn causes the air below it in the intake etc. to rush towards the low pressure pocket in an effort to equalize the pressure. This what "Reversion" is.
Lou, your statement:
"...This decrease of the inside diameter forces the intake air's velocity to increase, creating a siphon - increase the sucking of air..." is incorrect. The increased velocity of the air going through tube DOES NOT create a siphon. What it does is create a small low-pressure area (Velocity and Pressure vary inversely).
And GrayGhost1, stop trying to make everything personal. As I said to you before, if you would stop running your mouth and open your mind to the possibility that you "could" learn something here, you just might be surprised.
I know, I'm only a Cadillac guy to you so I'm stupid. :Bang
Dude - think about it.

having the air rush across the end of a tube will create a vacuum - sucking the air back out of the tube. This is bad.

increasing the speed of the air going into the intake sucks more air into the tube. This is good. The velocity stack increases the 'sucking'.

it's all minor - but every little bit counts. like peeling the vinyl off the roof.

Last edited:
I know what you're trying to say Lou, and I know it sounds like it makes sense to you but I swear it's just not that simple. I'm not trying to be an ass about it as GrayGhost1 seems to always think. I'm just trying to help you and anyone else that's interested, understand the way systems like this really work so you don't waste your money. I want everyone to get the most from their cars and their money, and if they can learn a little something about their cars and how they work along the way, great. Sometimes I learn too, that's why I asked about the theory behind why the statement about velocity stacks in the air filter should be used. You and most everyone else here try hard to get the most from their cars, whether they are performance cars or not, and I respect that. The problem is that there's a lot of mis-information out there and a lot of people that talk out their butts about technology they really don't understand. In those cases, a lot of people make a lot of bad moves with respect to mods on their cars and then they either get bummed and give up or just keep piling more money on the car in hopes that it will improve the situation. I've seen it a million times. I used to sell a lot of the performance parts that guys like you buy, and I used to laugh at their expense, all the way to the bank. Ok, so I'm getting WAY too long winded here so I'm just going to drop this, and say that I love your car, it looks hot, and I hope you didn't think I was trying to be a jerk to you.

Kevin - right - but your message is lost in the delivery - you always seem to angle on showing everyone up.

We all love cars - trying to make them better means different things to different people.

I'm an engineer - I hack and mod everything - most of it don't make a difference, was just a way for me to spend a bunch of my time and some of my money. But some of it does make a difference.

I've raced for several years - and miss the days of easy ticks and mods.

The proof is the facts - velocity stacks are a fact - just google it. Most OEMs create funny looking baffles within the intake tube to counteract any resonance and to cancel as much noise as possible.

Last edited:
Quik LS said:
Kevin - right - but your message is lost in the delivery - you always seem to angle on showing everyone up.

I concur with this statement Kevin. Instead of saying...."you're an idiot" or "you don't know what the hell you're talking about" try to be cool about it. This was my beef all along. We need to get along here and I understand your statement about "mis-information". There's a lot of it out there. I don't claim to know everything and never will but I'm an engineer just like Lou so I understand what's happening underneath the hood. Been there done that, so to speak. I'm cool with it and what Lou has pointed out on velocity stacks is correct.

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!

Another thing the velocity stack helps out greatly for is turbulance at the MAF sensor. If you are pushing your engine hard, and let off the throttle quickly, that vacuum created at the filter (which is mounted to the mass air sensor) will actually send a small amount of airflow back into the MAF sensor BACKWARDS. This in, in turn, tell the mass airflow sensor that the engine is sucking less air, and the engine will lean itself out, causeing a low drop in rpm, and sometimes even a stall. Proof? Get a computer that will read your air flow (in GPH, kPa, bar) and monitor the difference with and without, keeping note of engine and vehicle speeds as a control. It really does make a difference.

This backfeed turbulance at the MAF is also why i mounted my MAF sensor at the turbo's compressor inlet instead of outlet on my car. Only there was MUCH more air coming back in this instance.

I get my True-Rev Induction kit TOMMOROW!!!!!!!!! YEAAAAHHHHH!!!! But one question. WHen I take out the stock air box, will I have to change out the air intake gasket that goes one the MAF sensor relay? Just a question, i don't think I do.. but you can never ask a dumb question.

I had to keep the MAF gasket and use it on my new intake - between the MAF and the velocity stack - the MAF has some brass crush-proof bushing that prevent it from making an air-tight seal against any flat surface - the gasket works nicely there.

Just installed my NEW Kustomz Tru-Rev Kit!!! One word sums it up..... AWESOME!!!! Increase in take-off, NEW 0-60 time, and no whistle at 3000rpm. Definetly worth the $89 (10% off if your a LLSOC member!) Next upgrade here I come.

Howdy yall. I'm new to this forum posting wise, but I've been lurking for a couple of months now. I'm a little ignorant when it comes to some of this stuff, but if I buy the Kustumz Tru-Rev kit, will that suffice to give me a boost. Or do I have to purchase other things in addition? How easy is it to install and would it void any warranties? Thanks for the help. BTW I have a black 2000 LS Sport. :L

Chrysler, on their 413 engined 300 letter series cars in the early 60's, had a cross ram system that put the carb for one cylinder bank over the opposite bank. They had a long ram and a short ram intake system, with the short ram being the one used for competition. It involved the reversion principal with the shorter ram reacting to give better cylinder fill at higher RPM's. Both intakes looked the same outwardly, but the tubes were different lengths underneath. Just a tidbit of information for ya all.

Dude - think about it.

having the air rush across the end of a tube will create a vacuum - sucking the air back out of the tube. This is bad.

increasing the speed of the air going into the intake sucks more air into the tube. This is good. The velocity stack increases the 'sucking'.

it's all minor - but every little bit counts. like peeling the vinyl off the roof.

Actually, a vinyl roof give a little better laminar flow across the car, taking about a tenth off the ET at the strip, I believe.

I'm in CA and now deal with the smog certs every two years. I have the LLSOC sold V8CAI cold air intake from 2003 on my 2001 V8 LS and just recently, the technition was asking me where the "sticker" is for the air intake. I told him this intake has been through a few smog certs and no one has asked before. He ran it anyway and the LS passed just fine.

Anyway, I need a "sticker" that says it's likely compliant and/or approved etc. Anyone know who made this air intake? I need to research for a sticker once I find the manufacturer.

You can get a K&N typhoon sticker and stick it on there.

It was made for the thunderbird but fits the LS V8 as well.

I'm in CA and now deal with the smog certs every two years. I have the LLSOC sold V8CAI cold air intake from 2003 on my 2001 V8 LS and just recently, the technition was asking me where the "sticker" is for the air intake. I told him this intake has been through a few smog certs and no one has asked before. He ran it anyway and the LS passed just fine.

Anyway, I need a "sticker" that says it's likely compliant and/or approved etc. Anyone know who made this air intake? I need to research for a sticker once I find the manufacturer.

You won't find one. The intake was never CARB certified. Certification would have cost a fortune. I had trouble once so I just installed the stock intake for the smog check. It was a nuisance but worth my time.

Members online

No members online now.
Back