Lincoln VS Cadillac...This Time It's Personal

lead6ctsvcoupefd2011.jpg

09093-1980-Seville-brill.grid-4x2.jpg

You RUINED it!!! :(

Their self-stated target was Buick, as of about 2005. Looks like they're succeeding! Although the Buick can be had for less.

What is success?

Buick sales in March 2013 - 18,007;
Lincoln sales in March 2013 - 6,825

and Lacrosse (4,157) out sold total for all of Lincoln cars (3,284)

Probably going to be crucified for this - but the Regal is nice... has the same engine as the chevy cobalt 2.0 T, and it doesn't look old man-ish anymore.

What is success?

Buick sales in March 2013 - 18,007;
Lincoln sales in March 2013 - 6,825

and Lacrosse (4,157) out sold total for all of Lincoln cars (3,284)

The success to which I was referring was they (Lincoln) now make nothing but stylish FWD appliances.

Probably going to be crucified for this - but the Regal is nice... has the same engine as the chevy cobalt 2.0 T, and it doesn't look old man-ish anymore.

And, unlike any Lincoln in a decade, the Regal can be had with a manual gearbox. Kind of sad, really, to see Lincoln outmaneuvered by Buick.

I like the latest mkz besides its tiny steering wheel. But, Cad, BMW, MB, and Jag are making really nice cars even at the entry and midlevel lux cars I'd rather spend more $ for those than any Lincoln product right now.

Their self-stated target was Buick, as of about 2005. Looks like they're succeeding! Although the Buick can be had for less.

I had a guy tell me the only reason Buick is still around is because of the huge market or them in China. Watch the news when they show videos of traffic in China and you may catch 3 or 4 o them.

2006 Lincoln LS in Cashmere Tri-Coat Metallic.

Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!

Where did you get that old Seville picture!

Lincoln has nothing that can compete with cadillac.

The ATS is sweet, and CTS-V has always been a beast.

I parked next to an ATS the night before last. I was surprised how small it was. The owner came out and caught me looking at it and asked what my car was. I told him it was an LS and he said "nice, is that a 2013?" My GF busted out laughing. I had to let him off the hook. I love my LS but I think the ATS looks much better now. Imagine, if you will, the perception by the public at large of how the LS fits into the market. Gee, thanks Ford for not at least carrying the product out to finish the decade.

I had a guy tell me the only reason Buick is still around is because of the huge market or them in China. Watch the news when they show videos of traffic in China and you may catch 3 or 4 o them.

Yea, I read that somewhere. For some reason the Chinese really LOVE Buicks! I gave up the news years ago. It was either too depressing or the lack of real journalism made me too angry! The media are just drones and talking heads (Dirty Laundry anyone?) that just spew what they're told. But, that's a different topic.....

Yea, I read that somewhere. For some reason the Chinese really LOVE Buicks! I gave up the news years ago. It was either too depressing or the lack of real journalism made me too angry! The media are just drones and talking heads (Dirty Laundry anyone?) that just spew what they're told. But, that's a different topic.....

The BBC does a pretty good job even on our national news. One of the few news sources I read.

the new CTS is going to be a beast with twin turbos. 425ish HP! might be time for the V to step it up just a bit more...

dont care if they look a little crazy on the outside, the interior is money, and they they have the balls to make a blown RWD manual transmission V8 version, how can you not love that. sure as sh!t beats any of Lincolns models this year. does anybody really think an Ecoboost MKZ has anything on that?

at least somebody out there will compete with the Ms and AMGs of the world.

I totally agree! I was talking with my dad last night about the new CTS. I love the CTS-V 09 to present myself. Haven't seen the interior of it yet but I'm sure the new CTS will have a sweet inside. Like you said Lincoln isn't producing nothing that can remotely compete with the big boys. In my opinion that's why they are where they are now. Just my two cents.

Imagine, if you will, the perception by the public at large of how the LS fits into the market. Gee, thanks Ford for not at least carrying the product out to finish the decade.

All of the three big American companies have some sort of major impairment in terms of model longevity and continuity. They will create a model, make a big deal about how awesome it is, and then abandon it a few years later.

In the 2000s Ford did it with the Thunderbird, the Freestyle, the Aviator, the LS, the GT, the Mercury Marauder, and, hell, all other Mercurys. At least the Focus, Fusion and Taurus still exist.

Over the same time period, Chrysler dumped two distinct compacts (Neon, then Caliber), the Prowler, which was gone before anybody knew what happened, the Magnum, the Aspen, the Commander... I wonder how long the Dart will last. Hopefully Fiat gave them some sense. At least they are still making Chargers and Challengers.

As for GM... the amounts of cars started up then abandoned is simply enormous. They dumped the Cavalier, replaced it with the Cobalt, and then dumped that for the Cruze. They made those SSR and HHR retro Chevys, dumped both a few years later... The Cadillac line has seen major twists since 2000, Buick's been revamped quite a bit, Oldsmobile, Saturn, Hummer and Pontiac were wiped out.... not exactly sure what the hell GM executives think up there. The disappearance of the Pontiac G8 was especially sad, that was an awesome car which was, IMO, the closest thing to a Lincoln LS since 2006.

The disappearance of the Pontiac G8 was especially sad, that was an awesome car which was, IMO, the closest thing to a Lincoln LS since 2006.

I think the execs knew that hence the new Chevrolet SS. Granted it doesn't look that great, it's the same thing.

I think the execs knew that hence the new Chevrolet SS. Granted it doesn't look that great, it's the same thing.

You know, it may be easier to dress it up like that Aussie HSV.

Maybe I'm the only one, but they could have done a way better job. Looks pretty bland for what it is.

2014_Chevrolet_SS_Daytona-017-medium.jpg

Maybe I'm the only one, but they could have done a way better job. Looks pretty bland for what it is.

Indeed, the G8 looks great, but this looks like a big Hyundai.

Okay, I'm a bit harsh... it's still ok. Although the bastards won't sell it in Canada...

They trying to copy Jaguar with those fender vents?

You know that's all the rage now. I just wonder if they are functional.

I really hope the SS is all it's supposed to be. The last 5-6 cars GM has come out with that got me excited were screwed up by them. Limited edition, and only sold with max options with huge markups. I was really wanting a new GTO until I saw one. Then when I saw that they had a 10,000 dollar "just because" markup I walked away and never bothered to look at another Pontiac again. If it is, I already have programming software to go play with it.

I really hope the SS is all it's supposed to be. The last 5-6 cars GM has come out with that got me excited were screwed up by them. Limited edition, and only sold with max options with huge markups. I was really wanting a new GTO until I saw one. Then when I saw that they had a 10,000 dollar "just because" markup I walked away and never bothered to look at another Pontiac again. If it is, I already have programming software to go play with it.

What really bugs me is the lack of a manual. I mean they better offer one soon.

Something that bears the name "SS", is the show car for nascar, and is going to be marketed as a sporty 4-door muscle car... and no manual transmission.

What really bugs me is the lack of a manual. I mean they better offer one soon.

Something that bears the name "SS", is the show car for nascar, and is going to be marketed as a sporty 4-door muscle car... and no manual transmission.

The lack of manual gearboxes is a disease which seems to be affecting everyone. Granted, I bought an automatic Lincoln LS because at the time it had by far the best looks/equipment/performance/price ratio in the cars I saw, but I'd enjoy having a manual car.

Trouble is, I like rear-wheel drive better than FWD... and finding manual RWDs in North America basically means "do you want a BMW or a Cadillac CTS". Perhaps one day... unless I go for a Mustang or Challenger.

Anyway, manuals disappearing is something I've been seeing for a while now. No BMWs above the 3-series/Z4 have manuals anymore, Audi only has a handful in the A4/S4/TT, Mercedes got rid of them all, Lincoln not since a decade ago, Lexus never really had any apart from the base IS...

The only midsize luxury sedan offering a manual gearbox today, apart from the Cadillac CTS, is the Acura TL, and it's ugly as all hell.

Only something like 10 percent of the buyers want manuals, so there's not enough profit potential to overcome the expense of building two different interiors and two different drivetrains. Plus, a lot of people that liked manuals are going to the paddle shifter, like it's the same thing or something. I would personally love a 2 door stick, and I mean an actual stick and not some paddle crap, but it's not what I need right now. If I had my way about it I'd get a 1994-1997 Mercury Cougar, install a Chevy LSX454 engine with a 6 speed manual, and drive it until I die. Instead I'll drive the Lincoln LS for now, will wait and see how the Chevy SS looks, and if it is not acceptable will see what else there is. If Lincoln starts making cars again I would have no problem at all buying another Lincoln. I won't look at the Camaro or Mustang as the cabin is just too small. The only new domestic car on the market I'd buy if I had to buy one today would be a Dodge Charger, and that's just sad.

Incidentally, I've been poking around the used car markets looking for a decent Cougar. So far, no luck. There are very few of them left, and every one I've come across has been trashed and crashed. This is a dream I may have to abandon.

Members online

No members online now.
Back