Lincoln ls 2002 over heating and leaking antifreeze please help!

Dgs628

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey lincoln owners , please help , i have a 2002 ls 115k on it, its been over heating on and off for a while now , ive replaced thermostat and bleed , but still has been getting hot on and off , sometimes it gets really hot then temp goes down , sometimes it just stays hot and i have to pull over and let it cool down and its fine , today it got hot but went back to normal, but after i parked antifrezze started leaking by driver side wheel .? Any suggestion on what it is or what to check ? resivor bottle ? does anyone know where water pump is and if it would leak antifrezze like that , please help thanks i appretiate any advice

Its most likely the degas bottle(coolant reservoir)
Thats where yiu should start looking

3 things:

1. Search the posts on this fine site and you will find everything you need about your LS
2. All plastic parts need to be changed on your car....refer to #1
3. COPs are the second most common issues on this car...refer to #2 for the other.

Good Luck

Here's something that should help...

Hey lincoln owners , please help , i have a 2002 ls 115k on it, its been over heating on and off for a while now , ive replaced thermostat and bleed , but still has been getting hot on and off , sometimes it gets really hot then temp goes down , sometimes it just stays hot and i have to pull over and let it cool down and its fine , today it got hot but went back to normal, but after i parked antifrezze started leaking by driver side wheel .? Any suggestion on what it is or what to check ? resivor bottle ? does anyone know where water pump is and if it would leak antifrezze like that , please help thanks i appretiate any advice

I had the same thing happen to me. It was an elusive problem, because it didn't happen all the time, but when it did, I was dead in the water. My mechanic ultimately installed a fan relay kit, along with a sensor in the radiator that kicked the fan on when necessary. That was in April, and I haven't had a problem since.
The problem has a lot to do with the fact that the cooling system fan is driven by a hydraulic pump, just like the power steering pump (which is located directly opposite the cooling system pump).
Your reservoir bottle leaks antifreeze because of a buildup of pressure in the system ... once you fix the culprit, it shouldn't happen again.

actually no. the degas bottle has always been a issue with all LS's. the second gen LS fan is electric and it fails just as much as a gen 1. the issue is the damn plastics that ford used for all their cooling components. replace the degas bottle with a OEM only don't by the aftermarket stuff they are crap its well worth the money. its almost a rule on all LS's at 100k replace all cooling parts and you should be good for another 100k

i think he means the 2nd gen LS has an electric cooling fan and the degas bottle fails just as often as on a 1st gen with the hydraulic fan.

degas bottle. same thing happened to me , ended up having a cracked degas bottle. mine somedays would be fine and other days it would drain out fairly quickly. start with the bottle first.

It happens to everyone and it's not even LS specific, few months back I replaced a coolant reservior in my wife's Alero,
also cracked, albeit it sprung a leak and pissed everywhere, still was a much easier job to replace.

Lots of Brand/Models replacing aging plastic car parts all over, the LS is not alone ... I'm sure.

Hi , Im a new member....Read your thread about electric fan.....My 2000 LS is over heating and dealer wants to replace fan assy & Hyd. Pump....$1600........Im looking for a "How to" electric fan conversion...

Appreaciate any help
thanks

Make sure you get a new cap if your new degas bottle doesn't come with one, and only buy OEM. The dorman replacement is crap.

Members online

Back