LED Angel eyes Install- A lot of PICS

Alax7

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
So I finished the angel eyes and here are some pics of them. They came out great, overall not as hard as I thought. The hardest part was cutting them open. The dremel part was easy, I just cut in deep enough to cut the black lip off, but then I had to use 2 flat heads to lift the headlight off from the black sealant to take apart, this was the harder part. The first headlight took me about 1.5 hrs to take apart and the second about 40-50 minutes since I had practice.

This is the silicone adhesive I used
http://www.liquidnails.com/products/product.jsp?productId=74

I cut around the top screw so I could use it again when trying to re-seal the headlight to hold it in place. The bottom part is an easy cut, just cut straight across it, no screws there or curves to follow.

009.jpg

008-3.jpg

011.jpg

014.jpg

015-1.jpg

017-1.jpg

018-1.jpg

019.jpg

The size the big ring comes in is not the right shape or size to completely fill in the low beam‘s shape. I had to cut the little plastic that connects the 2 sides of the ring and jerry-rig something to make it stay. The guy from lightwurkz posted on here saying you might be able to get maybe 10mm if you cut this plastic, but I was able to spread them apart a total of about 1 ¼ inches, but I only needed about 1 1/8 to get the size of the big low beam ring. I drilled a hole on one side, put a piece of metal sheet I cut on it, spread it open carefully to not break it, marked where the hole would be on the other side to stay at 1 1/8 in open, and screwed it on that side too.I replaced the little long screws with tiny, tiny screws I had laying aroung so they wold not stick down that far. The screw alone would not keep it open straight, the ring would twist to the sides, it stayed open but not straight. What I did was put some quicksteel around the screw and metal sheet to keep the ring from twisting out of shape.

angeleyes005.jpg

angeleyes006.jpg

angeleyes009.jpg

angeleyes008.jpg

angeleyes010.jpg

angeleyes012.jpg

The metal sheet and quicksteel is not visible, it is covered by the benzel.

angeleyes013.jpg

The rings were easy to mount. The big ring has a plastic lip on the edge which helped. I put some all purpose adhesive on the bottom half of the ring, on the lip where it touches the low beam part of the benzel. I applied more around the edge overlapping the ring and benzel to secure it. The low beam was easy; I just laid it on the hi-beam benzel hole and applied the adhesive on the edge of it.

016-2.jpg

This is how lightwurks does the install with the big ring, compare it too the way I did it with the ring cut apart to fill in the hole better.

GetAttachment.jpg

003-5.jpg

005-6.jpg

This was taken after the rainy day. The all purpose silicone adhesive I used looks like it worked out great and sealed it up good. I drove 13 miles in the rain, I had no water inside at all, no foggy headlights, the adhesive worked great as a sealer.

011-1.jpg

012-1.jpg

The finished product!!!!! They are clearly visible in the day, they are super bright.I'm thinking they will look meaner with the eyebrows once they come back from the shop along with the lse bumper, but for now here it is.

013.jpg

014-1.jpg

015-2.jpg

016-3.jpg

night pics ! lol looks nice good work another mod on my to-do list

also that is a gen2 right too lazy to look in ur info

Yup, gen2, says it in my sig.I tried getting night pics but the angel eyes are so bright they blind the camera. I need a camera where you can adjust the exposure or something like that. I remember alexbougie telling us how he took a night pic of his ls. I'll try borrowing someone's camera

Thats funny blinding the camera man can't wait till i get time do all my front end swap done

what are you going to do to the fogs??

As much as I think this is too BMWish, I really like the finished product! I just may have to do this after all! How do they look next to the HID? Any "color" conflict?

We need to talk at FFF!!!

Yea they are too bright to photograph in complete darkness. You need something better than a point-and-shoot.

Alax, after seeing how you cut them, I did cut them differently. I did not realize you went into the actual black plastic with your main cuts. Looks good. You used alot of sealant! Holy crap haha.

Looks awesome. The larger ring fits very good and I am sure it is easier to secure like that since it is touching all the edges and you can put adhesive all around... Mine only touches where it mounts @ the top, I actually screwed my rings into the black bezel from behind, along with gobs and gobs of epoxy.

Another thing I noticed you did, was you put the hi-beam ring behind the bezel, I put mine in front. This lets all the luminosity from the smaller ring come through, without that tiny edge of the bezel blocking some.

You can kind of see where the top of your hi-beam ring is cut off @ the top, but full on the bottom. Just a little OCD thing that probably only I would notice, but either way it looks killer man!

If I could do it again (which I may eventually). I would cut how you cut it and definitely open the larger ring some more.

I give this a 10/10. Going to look really mean with the LSE bumper and lowered!

I guarantee people who aren't familiar with LS's think this car is some 2011 ish. Too damn nice!

Great job!! Looks awesome! I've been waiting for the weather to get a little nicer before I put them on mine.

:confused:Thanks guys.

As much as I think this is too BMWish, I really like the finished product! I just may have to do this after all! How do they look next to the HID? Any "color" conflict?

We need to talk at FFF!!!

The color of the angel eyes is 600k I think so they stand out some from the hids when I have them on. I forgot to take a pic of it with them on. I'll post one up this weekend.

Yea they are too bright to photograph in complete darkness. You need something better than a point-and-shoot.

Alax, after seeing how you cut them, I did cut them differently. I did not realize you went into the actual black plastic with your main cuts. Looks good. You used alot of sealant! Holy crap haha.

Looks awesome. The larger ring fits very good and I am sure it is easier to secure like that since it is touching all the edges and you can put adhesive all around... Mine only touches where it mounts @ the top, I actually screwed my rings into the black bezel from behind, along with gobs and gobs of epoxy.

Another thing I noticed you did, was you put the hi-beam ring behind the bezel, I put mine in front. This lets all the luminosity from the smaller ring come through, without that tiny edge of the bezel blocking some.

You can kind of see where the top of your hi-beam ring is cut off @ the top, but full on the bottom. Just a little OCD thing that probably only I would notice, but either way it looks killer man!

If I could do it again (which I may eventually). I would cut how you cut it and definitely open the larger ring some more.

I give this a 10/10. Going to look really mean with the LSE bumper and lowered!

Where did you cut then? :confused:

Yeah I used a lot. I didn't want any water gettin in these bad boys. Better extra than not enough.

I see what you mean by the ring cutting it off. That is only from close up though. From farther away the whole ring is visible. I was going to put it in front too but then I thought it was too out there, not hidden enough. I made sure the ring could be seen from behind before deciding to put it on. I might have to re-do that part again later on. We'll see.

Very nice write-up, thanks! This needs to be pinned.

Break up the first mega paragraph though, please :p

what kind of grille is that? and was it hard taking you're headlights apart? mine has the black already cuz I had no clue how to install angel eyes at the time and didnt think id ever want any til i saw urs....hate ur car so much

Very nice write-up, thanks! This needs to be pinned.

Break up the first mega paragraph though, please :p

Sorry. :D did it in a bit of a rush. Fix it. Any other suggestion to make it better? ;)

what kind of grille is that? and was it hard taking you're headlights apart? mine has the black already cuz I had no clue how to install angel eyes at the time and didnt think id ever want any til i saw urs....hate ur car so much

CDC grille. Did you not read my essay? lol. Well if you didn't, it wasn't hard. You just have to have some patience or you'll break parts. Dont be scared of it though. The headlight is sturdy enough to apply some pressure when trying to open just dont get too confident.

Sorry. :D did it in a bit of a rush. Fix it. Any other suggestion to make it better? ;)

CDC grille. Did you not read my essay? lol. Well if you didn't, it wasn't hard. You just have to have some patience or you'll break parts. Dont be scared of it though. The headlight is sturdy enough to apply some pressure when trying to open just dont get too confident.

when I was in school and our class would go to the library... I always grabbed the books full of pictures with less words lol
where did u buy ur grille from, i need a new one

This is where I cut the top. Where that smoothe lense plastic meets the nontransparent black.

I also attached a pic from when i did it, this is now since been recovered with black sealant. The black really blends it in better for a cleaner look. Though I had to reopen them twice and in the struggle I got sealant in places I did not want, and I made a mess... lol

cutline.jpg

10.jpg

ooooooooooooooh. I see. You actually CUT your headlight apart. I cut the tab off to be able to pry it open. How hard was it keeping it in place to seal it back up? The screws hold my headlight together and the clear part of the headlight just slides back into the back housing.It fits back together like normal, just didn't have a water proof seal until I used the silicone.I might try painting mine there to hide the clear silicone if I ever move the small angel eye ring up front

Oh yes - do my headlights? :D Actually, I LOVE the way yours look (clean and pro), and so I'm quite tempted to do this. The only issue is that a set of eyes costs like.. $200? And never mind shipping two headlights to the US.

Yea I actually halved the entire assembly.

You just put enough down pressure to cut the black trim that is over the lense, without actually going all the way through, then you forced it the rest of the way?

The way you did it looks like it was a lot easier to seal up... I actually had to completely seal up the joint where the two halves met.

In the future if I may get new headlights and redo this alot better. My leeft headlight looks brand new, but when you get up close to my right one, it is full of chips and such... I have been thinking of wetsanding them to see if that helps, but both lights are pretty rough looking from all the struggling I did with them. Haha. Luckily most of it can't be seen on the outside!

Oh yes - do my headlights? :D Actually, I LOVE the way yours look (clean and pro), and so I'm quite tempted to do this. The only issue is that a set of eyes costs like.. $200? And never mind shipping two headlights to the US.

Oh yeah, I didn't see you were in canada. Yup, better if you do it yourself. Just cut where I cut the, follow the redlines and it'll be easier from there.

Yea I actually halved the entire assembly.

You just put enough down pressure to cut the black trim that is over the lense, without actually going all the way through, then you forced it the rest of the way?

The way you did it looks like it was a lot easier to seal up... I actually had to completely seal up the joint where the two halves met.

In the future if I may get new headlights and redo this alot better. My leeft headlight looks brand new, but when you get up close to my right one, it is full of chips and such... I have been thinking of wetsanding them to see if that helps, but both lights are pretty rough looking from all the struggling I did with them. Haha. Luckily most of it can't be seen on the outside!

Yeah, just lift apart the glue. Something like this

headlight.png

Yea you definitely attacked it better than I. Learned something for next time! Which hopefully won't be for a long time haha.

I am somewhat paranoid about the upcoming summer melting the epoxy... I know it isn't supposed to melt, but it can get to 110 degrees here, and that accompanied with the sun i would imagine can make it pretty toasty inside... Guess I will find out!

Dude that is sick lookin can't wait to do mine this weekend!!!

Members online

Back