Learned something useful

Kelleyo

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
on the M5 Boards. Some of the guys there have replaced their stock batteries with one from VoltPhreaks. http://www.voltphreaks.com/home.html

See this thread about cutting weight and on the last 3 pages it's all about this battery. There was also a group buy discount. http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=96696

The weight savings is substantial (over 50 pounds). THese are not cheap but cutting weight is a definite way to increase performance....

That's one expensive battery... that you'd still have to replace every 5-10 years.

hmmmm

mholhut is right, plus we are looking at having to get the 6.5 lb which is still awesome, but thing costs $675! even that there is a group discount what would it be 50-100 bucks? i dunno to me it still isn't really justifiable unless you are just rich and it doesn't matter. i like the battery though i would get it if the costs were A LOT lower...
:D

Certainly interesting... Looks like the M5 has alot of potential for weight loss. Hell, if u can afford to own and run an M5, you can afford that battery! lol.

Expensive yes. But I am seeing guys here willing to spend twice that for a faux Gucci Interior treatment: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=34456

lolcopter.gif

Personally if I would put the money into performance... :D

Sorry to jack the thread.

Hey Kelley, have you checked out anything from Dinan yet? My freind just put an S2 package on is 330ci. About $3000 it came with a stage 2 ecu chip, stage 2 transmission chip, intake, exhaust, and a strut tower brace. The difference was night and day. He regrets he didn't spend another $2000 to get the stage 3 and full suspension.

That is money well worth it. Also check out AC Schnitzer's short throw since you have a stick.

Hope all is well with the M5....can't wait to see the new M3 on the road...400hp.

Pretty neat. Loosing weight is always good but I don't think the LS battery could be located any better for just about any type of racing. So that said this would be a pretty expensive toy.

Wouldn't it ruin the 50/50 weight dist. too? Wasn't that part of the reason they put the battery in the spare well.

Sorry to jack the thread.

Hey Kelley, have you checked out anything from Dinan yet? My freind just put an S2 package on is 330ci. About $3000 it came with a stage 2 ecu chip, stage 2 transmission chip, intake, exhaust, and a strut tower brace. The difference was night and day. He regrets he didn't spend another $2000 to get the stage 3 and full suspension.

That is money well worth it. Also check out AC Schnitzer's short throw since you have a stick.

Hope all is well with the M5....can't wait to see the new M3 on the road...400hp.

So far I am just doing electronics. Unmitza Angel eye upgrade and xenix color match fogs. MKIV nav computer upgrade from Bimmernav. I am doing Bavarian Soundworks full speaker and sub upgrade. Also adding factory retrofit bluetooth and DICE IPOD integration. After that I am replacing the armrest with the Euro spec armrest for better comfort (and get rid of the BMW integrated phone since I am not using it).

Car has so much power I am still getting used to it. I am sure I will start thinking about more in the future though :) THere is a highly regarded Dinan dealer near me that I would like go to as well.

Pretty neat. Loosing weight is always good but I don't think the LS battery could be located any better for just about any type of racing. So that said this would be a pretty expensive toy.

M5 Battery is also in the trunk next to the tire inflater (M5's don't have spares)

nice start Kelleyo. What does the navi upgrade include?

It replaces the older computer with a new one that is much faster and has 3D views. The other cool thing is I can cut my own DVD and put a personal splash screen on startup. Also, I am choosing a British female voice instead of the US version :D . Basically it is plug and play. The screen is the same. I just have to swap out the unit in the trunk.

Here is one custom splash I like:
attachment.php

Nice! Now where did i put that damn check book... i like the e39 M5 alot, but im also partial to the e38 Alpina B12 6.0! were they sold in the USA?

ive seen a couple alpina's roll through our sugarland wash here in houston/sugarland tx. not exactly sure what the difference is between a normal 745 but it looked nice, im assuming it a performance package.

its a shame that 00' m5 has a little over 100k though. still a great car just high miles...

Members online

Back