Leaking Valve Cover Gaskets?

tets

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Ive read many posts on here about the common issue of the leaking valve cover gaskets. My LS has been smelling of oil burning lately when Im stopped at lights. The smell comes through the vents. So since it was a bit warmer today I decided to go outside and take a look. I can clearly see the oil on my valve cover so I know for sure I need to replace the gaskets. I attached the pictures I took from my cell phone. I couldnt find anywhere how much the replacement would cost. Could someone let me know approx. how much I would be looking at?
Thanks.

DSC00244.jpg

DSC00245.jpg

DSC00246.jpg

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

Gaskets

Hello. I was a rookie last week and replaced the passenger side (#'s 1-4) side on a 2000 LS V-8.

Your links to the right (Team Ford and Five Star Ford) will give you the best prices.

The passenger side is definately a lot easier to change compared to the driver's side (#5-8). While I had the valve cover off, I changed the coils and spark plugs, but that will cost a lot more money.

You will need a 1/4" set, metric sizes (off the top of my head) 10,8,7. I used several extensions and the swivel adapter.

If I remember, I roughly had $35 for the gasket. I sure wouldn't want to take it to a dealership and pay their labor fees.

There are several members on here who are unbelievable and have a ton of knowledge, so I am sure they can pick up where I have missed something.

correct - about $35 a side for gasket, about $45 per coil (if you need to swap coils) and a couple of bucks for new plugs (since you are in there anyway).

The dealer charges between $1200 and $1400 for it - $800 of that is in coils alone.

Thanks. How would I decide whether to replace the coils or not?
Age, mileage, oil present on them? On average, coils seem to last 60k miles. Purchase them from the five star ford banner on the right, then have the dealer install them with the new gaskets.

when to change coils

I had a misfire in my new 2000LS V8 and figured it was #2, but I changed them all for peace of mind. I finally had the chance to get the LS out today and put the hammer down, and it responded like it hasn't responded in years.

Looking at your pictures, I believe the pic where you show the major portion of the leak is #4? My guess would be #4 coil boot has oil on it. The guys on here said that if you see oil on the boot, it is going to misfire. They were correct in my situation.

Thanks guys. I looked up the parts on team ford's site and sent a quote to five star ford, but Im from Canada, do you know if the parts would be charged duty coming across the border???

Members online

No members online now.
Back