Leaking, need some help

Tommy89

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have 02 lincoln LSE V6 5 speed manual transmission. 208,000 miles on it.

Im leaking (coolant) passenger side, at the front of the car. Also after maybe 20 mins of driving the temperature gauge starts to climb a bit but not too much and comes back down again. Not sure if they are related issues or two separate ones.

Thanks fellas.

Yes, related.
Plastic cooling parts failing.
Search, covered a few thousand times on this forum.

Yes, related.
Plastic cooling parts failing.
Search, covered a few thousand times on this forum.

i have searched and they seem to be drivers side, my issue is passenger side. And what parts in particular?

i have searched and they seem to be drivers side, my issue is passenger side. And what parts in particular?

No offense but if you did actually search, or even browse the first couple pages of this forum...you would have found all the info
You would need.

And if you're going to proclaim you've searched, be accurate. There is no way you've searched this issue and only found results pertaining fluid leaking on the driver side.

The most common failure resulting in leaking and overheating would be your degas tank, located on passenger side near firewall. Although, all your plastic cooling components fail at the same interval so they are just as suspect as the degas tank. And when these parts fail, they will leak at the front face of the engine, or underneath the intake manifold ultimately resulting in coolant pouring down the rear of your engine. The only exception which would pertain to coolant leaking on the driver side would be failed hoses and/or a leak traveling down your upper radiator hose and finding it's way to leak on the driver side.

Anyhow, I'm still new here and I was that guy asking for help without searching. But I wasn't claiming to have searched and found no success. That's probably rather humorous to everyone hence it being the most covered topic here aside from coils and plugs.

Regardless, welcome to the forum. I would give you a parts list but I personally own a genII8 so I wouldn't be much help.

Search my friend, search :)

No offense but if you did actually search, or even browse the first couple pages of this forum...you would have found all the info
You would need.

And if you're going to proclaim you've searched, be accurate. There is no way you've searched this issue and only found results pertaining fluid leaking on the driver side.

The most common failure resulting in leaking and overheating would be your degas tank, located on passenger side near firewall. Although, all your plastic cooling components fail at the same interval so they are just as suspect as the degas tank. And when these parts fail, they will leak at the front face of the engine, or underneath the intake manifold ultimately resulting in coolant pouring down the rear of your engine. The only exception which would pertain to coolant leaking on the driver side would be failed hoses and/or a leak traveling down your upper radiator hose and finding it's way to leak on the driver side.

Anyhow, I'm still new here and I was that guy asking for help without searching. But I wasn't claiming to have searched and found no success. That's probably rather humorous to everyone hence it being the most covered topic here aside from coils and plugs.

Regardless, welcome to the forum. I would give you a parts list but I personally own a genII8 so I wouldn't be much help.

Quoting myself.. This is fun...

I was under the impression you had a 3.9 while responding. My response may be totally inaccurate for your v6 so I apologize. Search and I'm sure you will find what you need.

Like I said, plastic cooling system parts. Covered a thousand times.
Open the hood of your car.
Look at the right front on the engine bay.
You will see - Plastic radiator (side tanks anyway) (several threads on the right side tank cracking) - Upper radiator hose with plastic parts (many threads on this failing) - DCCV (also mostly plastic, usually fails without a serious leak but you never know) - Plastic crossover/thermostat hose assembly at the front of the engine - ...

There are also threads with advice on how to spot where the leak is coming from based on the evidence left behind.
If you are going to make a post without searching and without providing any real info on your problem, I don't see how we can help.

You would need.

Pssssstttttt..... It's on the driver's side....

SoulSoak must drive an English version...:cool:

And by that, I mean a version intended for driving in England, not one with English writing on the gauges.

SoulSoak must drive an English version...:cool:

And by that, I mean a version intended for driving in England, not one with English writing on the gauges.

Yes indeed, I speak with an english accent when I drive it as well lol.

I gotta stop giving people advice cuz I be giving them wrong info all the time hahah

Yes indeed, I speak with an english accent when I drive it as well lol.

I gotta stop giving people advice cuz I be giving them wrong info all the time hahah

47984430_compo1.jpg

well just for fun, lets say you searched and found nothing because this has never happened before...

so you're leaking coolant from the front pass side of the car, well there are many places that coolant run through in that general area, you will need to look (since we can't) and see where the coolant is leaking from and replace the bad part...

and almost every time a car has a coolant leaking problem, this will sooner or later turn into a overheating problem (with this car, its usually much sooner rather than later)

now it honestly wouldn't take too much searching to see pretty much every thread about coolant leaking has a post somewhere explaining that it is extremely common that all the plastic cooling parts for this car eventually fail and need to be replaced, and they usually/almost always fail around the same time, so its best to replace them all at once.

well something I encountered with a friends LS it had a hose leak and it would boil over and get hot so that may be a sign just saying what I've seen

well something I encountered with a friends LS it had a hose leak and it would boil over and get hot so that may be a sign just saying what I've seen

it used to overheat, but it was the water pump. That got changed, over heating isnt too much of an issue after maybe 10 miles of driving it might start to raise up past the half way and come back down again. Thats my concern after the leaking is fixed.

You guys helped me with your replies, i will look into the plastic parts involved with the coolant system. Im also getting it checked out tomorrow while im at work, so i will update you guys.

actually tommy it was a win-win situation for me my friends LS has seen some better times we drove it down the road about a 2 min drive and the temp gauge jumped 2 levels and by the time we drove it home steam was just rolling from the hood but we found a leak and fixed the issue

actually tommy it was a win-win situation for me my friends LS has seen some better times we drove it down the road about a 2 min drive and the temp gauge jumped 2 levels and by the time we drove it home steam was just rolling from the hood but we found a leak and fixed the issue

You nailed it bro, i finally got around to getting it to the shop, turns out it was a hose also just like your friends. What a relief man.

oh you are welcome anytime im glad i could help :) my friends also happy bout that too i think just about all 3.0 vulcans have hose problems

Good to know. Hopefully i don't run into anymore problems for a while so i can buy a new clutch for it, its slipping pretty bad. I can still drive it if i take my time.

For your own benefit, please make sure you bleed it according to the specifications in the tech article above. Most shops won't do this so you'll have to do it on your own.

For your own benefit, please make sure you bleed it according to the specifications in the tech article above. Most shops won't do this so you'll have to do it on your own.

found out the radiator is cracked so, they're gonna have to bleed it regardless, no?

new radiator was installed, but i guess according to them coolant got into two cylinders not sure if it was cylinders or it got on the plugs either way he said he was going to change the the two coils which he did, is this reasonable? i don't wanna be a sucker but ive seen a couple forum posts about coolant getting into cylinders, and i remembered this when he was telling me so i thought to myself ok, people have mentioned this before.

well Tommy you have helped me out too my friends LS might have this issue in the future gilbertls.jpg

gilbertls.jpg

new radiator was installed, but i guess according to them coolant got into two cylinders not sure if it was cylinders or it got on the plugs either way he said he was going to change the the two coils which he did, is this reasonable? i don't wanna be a sucker but ive seen a couple forum posts about coolant getting into cylinders, and i remembered this when he was telling me so i thought to myself ok, people have mentioned this before.

First, there's no way it got into the cylinders from a radiator leak. I suspect what they said or meant was that it got onto two of the COPs (coils) or into two of the spark plug wells.
Anyway if it did, it was them being sloppy while they worked on it. Normally, I would say that this part should be on them to pay for, but since the LS eats coils anyway it's probably just as well. I'm sure that if they spilled coolant on the coils, they also spilled it on the belt. The belt should be replaced if it is exposed to too much coolant, unless it is nearly new.

First, there's no way it got into the cylinders from a radiator leak. I suspect what they said or meant was that it got onto two of the COPs (coils) or into two of the spark plug wells.
Anyway if it did, it was them being sloppy while they worked on it. Normally, I would say that this part should be on them to pay for, but since the LS eats coils anyway it's probably just as well. I'm sure that if they spilled coolant on the coils, they also spilled it on the belt. The belt should be replaced if it is exposed to too much coolant, unless it is nearly new.

Thanks for the heads up about the belt, i got the car back today, everything seems to be running perfectly. The temp stays right in the middle if anything a TINY bit below which is perfect. Now i can focus on a new clutch which i was quoted $500 part and labor..thoughts?.

Roman_capps get it checked out man, radiator and labour came out to $220 i do business with this guy so it came down to $200 some may argue i paid too much but i think it was reasonable, part and labor not bad at all and new coolant.

Members online

No members online now.
Back