Leaking Motor Mount - Important?

the only way you could match results of a "dry" mount compared to the LS's, is to use a softer rubber/ compound. Which you would destroy twice as fast. stick with the OEM on this one

fluid filled mounts...wow. I'm going to assume no one makes a solid or something not filled with fluid

I'm sure you could cobble together some sort of polyurethane mount. It would definitely not have any foreseeable problems with a stock LS. It will however make the car feel like you bolted your seat directly on top of the engine.

I'm sure you could cobble together some sort of polyurethane mount. It would definitely not have any foreseeable problems with a stock LS. It will however make the car feel like you bolted your seat directly on top of the engine.

lol, you say that like it's a bad thing! :cool:

After searching quite extensively for about an hour, I believe I have this issue. Looks like the motor mount on my passenger side is leaking. I thought it was ATF, crawled under the car and saw the entire motor mount bottom soaked. Anyone have this done at the dealer and have an estimate on what I should be looking at for costs?

... and here I thought I was being all weird because I didn't know a few weeks back this LS had it's motor mounts filled with fluids.

My driver's side one has finally stopped leaking. I assume that means it is out of fluid now. I guess I'll have to replace it soon. It looks difficult to get to.

Not only does it look difficult to get to, but you apparently need some special tools to do the task (according to the deneau link above). I am assuming I cannot do this myself, so preparing for the dealer costs. I'll call some up and try to get an estimate. I would try a local mechanic but since I just moved up here and don't know any I'm not sure I would trust something like this to the average garage.

The annoying thing is that I just had to replace the AC compressor (2nd time) on my 04 again. The driver's side motor mount would be much easier to get to with the AC compressor removed, but the motor mounts are fine on my 04. It's the 06 with the leaked mount.

You have gone through two compressors on an 04? Was the second one a used unit?

I remember reading that the less you use the AC, the more likely it is to fail... Probably not data backed up, but seems coincidental enough to be true.

Well, the good part is at least you're versed in removing the AC compressor now, so hopefully it will be easier for you on the 06.

Ugh, if I ever need to remove the compressor I know who to talk to! Are you going to do the motor mount yourself? Going to rent the special tools?

Ugh, if I ever need to remove the compressor I know who to talk to! Are you going to do the motor mount yourself? Going to rent the special tools?

I think I may try it by lifting the engine from below. (The vacuum pump that I bought when the first compressor started leaking has certainly paid off. I've had to replace an AC seal on my Ranger too.)

It would appear that someone did use that method and was successful above, in this thread. I just googled those two tools listed - and one of em is $1,500!!!! WOW!

Fluid filled (hydraulic) mounts are nothing new or fancy, they are just better at dampening vibrations then solid rubber. Solid rubber just holds up better over time.

For what it's worth I had no problems accessing the passenger side engine mount on my 2003 LS V8, had to loosen it to get the alternator out. It didn't look like it would be an issue to replace if I needed to and while I wasn't looking specifically at an engine mount replacement I don't recall seeing anything that a regular socket or crows foot wrench couldn't deal with. I didn't need to mess with the driver's side, no idea on that one. Jacked the engine up using the oil pan with a 2x4 between the pan and the jack head. IMO it's worth it to at least run your car up on ramps to see if you think you can do the job on your own with regular tools before taking it to the dealer or ordering some specialized, can only do this one thing with it, $$$$ tool.

Lots of cars use fluid fill Motor mounts. Some even have a hydraulic pump that pump them up when the engine is started. I think the Lexus is one that uses it.

I had a late 80's mercury cougar with the 3.8L V6. It went through those crappy hydraulic motor mounts every 12 months it seemed. Last time I ended up taking the failed mount and through bolting it with a piece of polyurethane in the middle. Sure the car vibrated a little more but it never failed again!

I've got over 108k-mi on what I am assuming are the factory ones in my LS so I would have no qualms about replacing with hydraulic again. :)

Members online

No members online now.
Back