Lawsuit Over Prayer Is Settled

It's a secular government.

Much of it's inspiration comes from religious teaching- and the ensuing philosophical discussions and theories that followed. Aquinos, and Hobbes, and Lockes, ect.

And that foundation in spiritual thought is clearly stated in the Deceleration of Independence. That our rights as individuals come from the creator and are not granted to us by the government. The power that government has is given to it by the people. At the time, this was a revolutionary concept.

The bible doesn't lay out our system of government. But our system of government would never have come about if not for the "radical" concepts of the individual laid out by the Bible.

Dictionary: adultery (ə-dŭl'tə-rē, -trē)

n., pl. -ies.
Voluntary sexual intercourse between a married person and a partner other than the lawful spouse.

Your reading comprehension and/or understanding of certain words is lacking.

Though the book of Genesis condemns sexual relations between children and their parents, it nowhere prohibits a man from marrying his sister or niece. Abraham, for example, married his half-sister without compunction. Not until the time of Moses were laws established forbidding a man from marrying a sister or niece. The timing of this command makes perfect sense biologically, for genetic defects as a result of intra-family marriage would not begin to crop up until after the first few dozen generations.

As far as Adam's children populating the earth, I don't expect you to understand everything about the Bible, but you certainly don't hesitate to mock what you don't understand. If you really do want to learn something, and aren't just being contentious, then I recommend this article and this article. Otherwise, I'm done talking to you here, as I've offered plenty of evidence for you to consider, and you are being completely closed-minded.

As far as proving God to you, I don't have to do that and I'm not interested in arguing whether or not He exists; He does, and you will meet him one day. And you'll give an account of your life to Him. And if you haven't repented of your sins by then, you'll be under His eternal judgment. That's your problem, not mine.

Whosoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken; but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

Luke 20:18

i think your grasp of the english language is lacking. you don't have to be married to commit incest.

from concise oxford dictionary
incest; noun- sexual relations between people classed as being too closely related to marry each other.

i suggest you pick up a dictionary sometime and learn the meanings to the words you are trying to use in your defence. makes you look pretty silly. and since you can't prove god, my arguement stands. the laws were written by man.

fossten, i think you have me confused as somebody looking for enlightenment on god. it does not exist, so i do not sit in mockery of it. as for being closed minded, it depends what side of the fence you are looking over. your point of view is religious/biblical, mine is without these encumberments. my mind is less closed than yours. when i want answers for things, i look for evidence. god is seriously lacking credibility to me.

This search for meaning as the best way to ascertain the legislative will, has became known as the “plain meaning doctrine.”...

...The pedigree of this rule extends to the English Common Law and Sir William Blackstone:

The fairest and most rational method to interpret the will of the legislature, is by exploring his intentions at the time the law was made, by signs the most natural and probable. And these signs are either the words, the context, the subject matter, the effects and consequences, or the spirit and reason of the law.1 WILLIAM. BLACKSTONE, COMMENTARIES *59.

--PSI ENERGY, INC., and CINCINNATI GAS & ELECTRIC CO. v. THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA (2004)

How is that inconsistent with original intent?

Show me where the Bible teaches trial by jury.

To only look at this, you would be ignoring the ideas that lead to trial by jury.

That is like saying Galilao and his ideas had no influence on Einstiens special theory of relativity.

What is the fundamental principle of our system of laws and where does the Bible teach it?

Again, this question (as stated and framed) overlooks a lot of relevant facts, and mischaracterizes the issue.

Here's evidence, from the making of the law that established a national bank, that lawmaker Elbridge Gerry believed the Constitution should be construed according to Blackstone's five basic common law rules of interpretation. Gerry actually quotes Blackstone.

http://books.google.com/books?id=jmoFAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA75&lpg=PA75&dq=%22Gerry%22+%22fairest+and+most+rational+method%22&source=web&ots=ZjqO5VdYZH&sig=XNERzsqMaamn1EhfJwbKgBwIruw&hl=en#PPA75,M1

Elbridge Gerry was one of the people who voted against the Constitution and refused to sign it.

Fossten:You ever read Leviticus or Deuteronomy? Didn't think so. Next question.

I read you to say that you can't back up your claim that the Bible teaches trial by jury.

MJ, the method Fossten used in that response is the exact method you have been using to respond throughout this thread.

The men who wrote the Declaration of Independence and U. S. Constitution believe that the people were the source of all legitimate civil authority. They obviously didn't share your view of the Bible.

They also believed that God was the source of their rights. They also constructed the government around an inherently Christian understanding of human nature.

to prove this statement, you would have to prove god, which you can't. so the laws were written by man.

Trying to impose logic on a matter of faith. doesn't work like that.

Trying to impose logic on a matter of faith. doesn't work like that.

it's not logic or faith. it's reality. fossten said the laws WERE written by god. that put's the burden of proof on him. if he believed the laws were written by god, that would be faith. but i would still expect him to prove god to verify, otherwise you still have words written by man.

it's not logic or faith. it's reality. fossten said the laws WERE written by god. that put's the burden of proof on him. if he believed the laws were written by god, that would be faith. but i would still expect him to prove god to verify, otherwise you still have words written by man.

In the case of the ten commandments, those laws were from the voice of God (if I remember my bible correct) as transcribed by Moses. The point still stands, faith is beyond logic and reason; as such, the rules of logic and reason don't apply to it. The whole idea of religion and God is based on faith; you can't expect it to be proven.

If Fossten said that the ten commandments were written by God, then he would be technically incorrect (if my memory of the Bible is correct); but the ten commandments, according to the Bible did come directly from God. Either way, the point is, they weren't something handed down for generations before they were codified in the Bible, and thus open to potential distortion from coming from multiple filters.

Claiming it is "reality" would mean you can prove God doesn't exist, which you can't. Best you can do is cast doubt, but not disprove it.

come on shag. "disprove" is the lamest arguement of religious holdouts. i can't disprove the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and santa claus. but ask somebody who doesn't know better(a young child), and you'll be told their real. all because of a perpetrated myth. you're not born with belief. you have to be told.

In the case of the ten commandments, those laws were from the voice of God (if I remember my bible correct) as transcribed by Moses. The point still stands, faith is beyond logic and reason; as such, the rules of logic and reason don't apply to it. The whole idea of religion and God is based on faith; you can't expect it to be proven.

If Fossten said that the ten commandments were written by God, then he would be technically incorrect (if my memory of the Bible is correct); but the ten commandments, according to the Bible did come directly from God. Either way, the point is, they weren't something handed down for generations before they were codified in the Bible, and thus open to potential distortion from coming from multiple filters.

Claiming it is "reality" would mean you can prove God doesn't exist, which you can't. Best you can do is cast doubt, but not disprove it.
To clarify, the original Ten Commandments were written BY GOD in stone tablets, and given to Moses.

To clarify, the original Ten Commandments were written BY GOD in stone tablets, and given to Moses.

Figured you would know better them me. Either way, the point stands that the commandments weren't handed down from generation to generation (and possibly distorted in the process) before they were written down.

come on shag. "disprove" is the lamest arguement of religious holdouts. i can't disprove the easter bunny, the tooth fairy, and santa claus. but ask somebody who doesn't know better(a young child), and you'll be told their real. all because of a perpetrated myth. you're not born with belief. you have to be told.

You are trying to apply rules of intellect and reason to something that those have no bearing on; faith.

It really is a waste of time, because you can't disprove it, and, either way, no argument you say is gonna make any difference to a believer. That's just the nature of the issue.

While I am sure it isn't vindictive on your part, the general act of trying to intellectually disprove and argue faith really seems to have no purpose except to the person arguing against it. I know a number of adament athiests who basically do that to try and intellectually bludgeon someone of faith. It is nothing more then the the school bully trying to beat up some kid, at an intellectual level. You are taking religion out of context and attacking it in a way that is ultimatley irrelevant to the believer; intellectually banging your head against the wall.

religious believers aren't people to be chastised, made fun of and marginalized, which seems to be all this line of argument is about.

In fact, these people (hardcore athiests) seem to argue like the most extreme religious nut, trying to force you to their religion through argument (and, many times, dishonest argument at that). That is why I view them as at least as religious as what they are arguing against.

Members online

No members online now.
Back