Latest pictures of my 90 Mark VII

whoa. that is one nice SE. i noticed a problem with your cardomain site, it doesn't list your engine mods :D

Not a fan of the stick-on hood scoops, the wing or the neons, but nice car! What's done to it, motor-wise?

Appreciate comments, remarks, etc...engine remains stock except for Mustang air hose and K&N filter. The car has 101K and the engine runs strong. Once I get back on my feet $$$ wise, and edumacate myself on the 5.0, will start with engine mods. Would eventually like to pop a 5 speed in there too ala GTC. My son is 15 and we cruise at night and often hear people call the car a Batmobile. I will be adding a picture to the cardomain site later on tonight of an "LSC" third brake light modification. Cant see it clear enough during the day to take a photo....

looks good man... love how the bloack looks with the wheels. Very nice

my only complaint is the hood scoops... I say ditch them or atleast replace them with a late model mustang scoop. The current ones just take away from the car IMHO.

again, VERY nice ride bro
-Steve

I see the hood scoops aren't too popular...couple of reasons why I chose them;
1. The 69 Cougar Eliminator Scoop has been done way too many times, I wanted
a unique look.
2. They are hollow and will allow me to cut holes in the hood from underneath
to get the air flow. I was trying to think of a way to get the air to the motor
like the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe, but had a brain freeze.
3. The slope of the hood goes down from the windshield forward. I wanted scoops that would even out the grade of the slope so that it appeared to be a straight line.
4. I tried 5 different hood scoops using photoshop on the car and aesthetically,
the ones I put on appeared to me (eye of the beholder) to look the best.
5. As I drive around, I get tons of questions about what kind of car it is. I purposely
left off most of the emblems so that people would wonder what it was. I had one guy ask me how in the world I had stretched out a Mustang. The Mark VII's are a disappearing breed and its getting rare to see one coming down the road, much less one that has been modified on the exterior. It is not a show car and is a daily driver for me. My son will be getting his learners permit next year and he will be allowed to drive it. No sense keeping it in the garage all the time. This baby is gonna see road time.

That's pretty cool that your son is gonna drive it, katz. Wanna adopt me? :D And you're right - these cars are a dying breed.

Good luck with it! :Beer

Hey, I like the hood scoops. What are they and where did you get them? Also the erebuni kit actually looks good on there for some reason.

I bought the hood scoops on eBay; here is the same set for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7938083819&category=33646

The Erubuni kit is available here (along with the spoiler):

http://www.erebunicorp.com/GE/LMARK7.HTM

And the Neon underbody light kit can be found on eBay for a
decent price and they are pretty easy to install; here is one
for $50.00 which includes shipping/handling and insurance:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7938233051&category=33714

Last thing I am looking for is a louver for the rear window.
I have seen some 88 - 92 T-birds with one that appear to
be the same size as the M7 rear, but have been unable to
locate one. Anyone out there with some info, pls hook me up.

OK, the hood scoops are now functional. Took a lot of patience and gots tons of metal shavings everywhere, but its good to go. As I am driving, the air enters both scoops from the front, goes down through the hood and on top of the motor. Not sure how effective it will be in cooling it down, but at least the scoops are now more than just a decorative item and are providing some use.

katz_blk90se said:
OK, the hood scoops are now functional. Took a lot of patience and gots tons of metal shavings everywhere, but its good to go. As I am driving, the air enters both scoops from the front, goes down through the hood and on top of the motor. Not sure how effective it will be in cooling it down, but at least the scoops are now more than just a decorative item and are providing some use.

Do you have pictures of the details?

Gonna try and post some on my cardomain website later on. The old lady is home and the car is in the barn until I can find a reason to get her out of the house...she hates the car and wont even get in for a cruise...

katz_blk90se said:
Gonna try and post some on my cardomain website later on. The old lady is home and the car is in the barn until I can find a reason to get her out of the house...she hates the car and wont even get in for a cruise...

Dump Her! :Beer

I updated the cardomain website with the hood scoop pics:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/4_given_1

Pretty much a hatchet job at this point, but the holes are there and I also installed a set of lights inside each scoop that come on when the parking or headlights are turned on. I have a lot of young folks that love the car and want a Mark VII of their own. I realize that my car doesnt resemble the "normal" M7, but I wanted a look that would get younger people to realize the LSC is simply not an older guy kinda car, but something they wouldnt mind cruising around in. My teenage son gladly sold his Honda CRX as part of the deal that he would have full driving privileges of the SE.

katz_blk90se said:
I updated the cardomain website with the hood scoop pics:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/4_given_1

Pretty much a hatchet job at this point, but the holes are there and I also installed a set of lights inside each scoop that come on when the parking or headlights are turned on. I have a lot of young folks that love the car and want a Mark VII of their own. I realize that my car doesnt resemble the "normal" M7, but I wanted a look that would get younger people to realize the LSC is simply not an older guy kinda car, but something they wouldnt mind cruising around in. My teenage son gladly sold his Honda CRX as part of the deal that he would have full driving privileges of the SE.

The SE emblem on the intake! You know how much a pair of them have sold on Ebay! I believe it was above $100! :Bang Other then that. Looks damn nice!

Like the others here, I like the car but really encourage you to loose the cheesy looking scoops. They look exactly like what they are: cheap stick-on scoops.
The scoops on the stock 87/88 Turbo T-Birds would look excellent on a Mark VII, but they might be quite difficult to actually install.

There is no benifit to having outside air blowing on the top of the motor, and this can actually create a little power-robbing drag. The high pressure zone created underneath the car prevents the effective venting of this additional air in the engine compartment and can cause excessive lifting of the front end at speed, and the bit of air that does vent from the hood edges creates aerdynamic drag that results in lower speeds. Plus, this stagnant air does little or nothing to cool the engine.If you are going to add an engine-compartment air intake, then you really should also have extractor vents towards the rear of the engine compartment somewhere, ala late 70s-era Trans-Am/Z-28s.

Awesome comments..wish I were more of a tech guy than just a driver.
I did have an old 88 Mark VII with the turbo coupe hood scoops (it was a real pain to install em too), but the overall look just didnt look good. (kinda horrible to be honest). The slope of the hood just doesnt lend itself to scoops that are even with the hood. I almost put the 69 Cougar Eliminator hood scoop on there, but everyone has done that and they are just as non functional as the stick on ones. I guess whenever I get some decent money (and some gearhead knowledge), I will start with a stock M7 and turn it into a monster without the body kit, spoiler, scoops, lights, etc. It will have to be unassuming and preferably a GTC if I can find one. Broke my heart about 6 months ago to see a REAL GTC sell in Cali for 3500 that was in pretty good condition. Thanks again for some great info on motor cooling.

Members online

No members online now.
Back