Larger alternatives to LS?

BigM555

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right section but thought I'd try...

We bought my wife a 2004 LS a couple of years back. We got a steal of a deal and of course we love the car. I'm ready to replace my Explorer and would love to find something like the LS. Problem is I'm a really big guy, 6'2" and 350lbs. I fit in the LS but it would not be a comfortable daily driver for a guy my size.

I've looked at lots of options but so far haven't found anything with the right combination of hip, shoulder, leg and headroom. I'm starting to lean toward coupes since the b-pillars are almost always a problem for shoulder room in sedans. I would like a combination of sport and luxury, like the LS or something like the old Thunderbird SCs. I've got about 25k to spend and want to stick to something newer than about 08'.

What is out there that might be big enough and similar to the LS, anything?

The Charger is a large car, as is the Chrysler 300. They are also RWD V8s and in your price range. Make sure the transmission is checked by a shop before buying, not related to the selling dealership if buying from one. The V6 Chargers are just about as fast as the V8 LS as well, but will return about 5-6MPG better. If you want a 2 door, Challenger. If you want to stay in the Ford family there is the Crown Vic, Lincoln Mark 8 and the Town Car although I don't remember what year they stopped making them. If you can find one, look for a Mercury Marauder. You may need to expand your parameters to an older vehicle though.

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

Will have to look into the Lexus.

Tried the 4 door Genesis. B-pillar is a problem. Haven't tried the coupe but they don't get very good reliability reviews.

Had a Charger on rental this week. Large enough and yes, it goes like a scared cat but I wasn't impressed with the braking or handling. It's a possibility though.

Tried a Challenger. It met most criteria except headroom. I felt like I was laying down by the time my head cleared the headliner.

The Mark8 might be an option if new enough. The Crown Vic and Town Car are a little too stodgy. If those were the only option I'd give up on a car and just stick with a luxury truck.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I appreciate the feedback. I knew there would be some "car guys" here that could really relate to the LS. ;-)

It's been a while since I've driven the MKS 3.5L EB (2012 MY maybe), with about 1.5 years between driving it and getting my LS Sport, but I do distinctly remember being very impressed by it's handling and power, especially compared to the Town Car it replaces. The SHO, for that matter, is pretty impressive as well considering how heavy and large those cars are.

MKT replaced the Town Car. Agreed though that the SHO is nice. Even the Taurus SHO is nice.

2nd gen CTS coupe. I'm 6' 3" with broad shoulders and I've driven one and found it had plenty of shoulder room, even with the Recaro seats (which I believe might be V only). If the non-V has different seat options, make sure you try both.

Did you drive a first or 2nd gen Genesis? I have a 2nd gen, and while I have a problem with the B-pillars in most sedans being right beside my head and creating a blind spot beside me, it's not a problem in my Genesis. The 2nd gen is larger than the first, and is downright huge inside. They're still above your $25k price limit right now, you could probably get a used V6 for that price within a year.

Chevy Cruze. No really, I can't believe the seat goes back on those cars. How about an Infinity M37?

Just tried a 2012 MKS eco. B-pillar is massive. Literally shoves me to the center of the vehicle. Was similar with the SHO I tried.

There's the Jaguar XF. Same chassis of the LS. I know a doctor who has one and he's of similar proportions. He also has a Range Rover Sport, which is also a great car. Plus you can say you have a Jag.

Okay, sorry for the delayed response all. Typed this up on my tablet last night and it got borked just before I was ready to post. Was too frustrated to type it all out again...

Spent the day yesterday trying out a bunch of options. All were loaded up, leather, automatics with most options and pretty much all around the 20-25K mark (with the exception of the Lexus);

2013 Chrysler 300 - Didn't even take it out of the lot. Fit was okay except for headroom with the moon roof. Fit would probably be fine without one but the interior styling did nothing for either me or the wife. Too stuffy. I'm not ready for the retirement home yet. ;-)
2007 Lexus ES350 - Just about took my right ear off trying to squeeze in the drivers door. Once inside the headroom still wasn't great. Definitely not an option.
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost - B-pillar was a definite impediment. I'd need a resident chiropractor as I literally could not sit straight in the drivers seat. It shoves me to the console. Didn't bother taking this one out of the lot either. Pity.
2013 Acura TL AWD - A little bit cramped in the drivers compartment but doable. On the road I was impressed with the power and acceleration. Handling was tight and confident. Braking was very good. Reminiscent of the Wife's V8 LS but with better brakes and pickup. Definitely worth considering. Would have liked just a bit more hip/shoulder and leg room.
2013 Cadlilac CTS - B-pillar was a bit of an impairment but not too terrible. Can't say I was impressed with the power, handling or the way the transmission shifts. Acceleration felt sluggish, steering unresponsive, shifting a little spongy and it seemed to work far too hard for the acceleration being achieved. Ride was certainly smooth and quite but definitely felt disconnected from the driving experience.
2014 Dodge Charger - I've rented many of these in the past and knew they were roomy. They've just never done much to excite me. I had hoped that one fully loaded and decked out with leather might be a bit more enticing. I was mistaken. Like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a Charger. Not for me. Good power and roomy but that's about all I can say. Steering is sloppy and braking is lackluster. Feel even more disconnected than in the CTS. I would feel like I was compromising way too much for the room. I might as well stick with an SUV. There is little improvement in driving experience except for the better acceleration.
2014 Nissan Maxima - I was surprised by the room in the Maxima. No real issues with the B-pillar or headroom. Better hip and leg room than the Acura TL. Power and handling were also impressive, nice and tight and responsive. The big problem we had with it was the noise. Holy crap we could barely hear ourselves think! From about 60km/h on up there was a hum that would grow louder. Didn't sound like wheel noise or normal wind noise. I'm not so sure there wasn't something wrong with it but the sales guys said Nissan doesn't put insulation in the doors. What a way to kill what could have been a really nice ride. I might try another just to see if the noise was typical but a comparison review I just read put the Maxima in last place for noise so maybe it is normal. Pity

Also sat in a Nissan 370Z. Headroom was okay after reclining the seat a bit but when I closed the drivers door the "sardine factor" definitely became apparent. Not enough shoulder room.

Overall I would have to go with the TL as the clear winner from this group. The others were either just not a good fit for my particular body shape or seriously lacking in the driving experience. It's really too bad about the Maxima because it had that little bit of extra driver room I would like in the TL.

Much as I'd like a Jag or a 7 series Beemer I can't imagine they will be within my budget unless they have serious miles or age on them. I'd prefer not to go there.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Hopefully my cursory report above will spark some more suggestions.

Unfortunately, that is the deal on Nissans. Aside from they are FWD, noise is one thing I don't like about them. I've not been in one that wasn't loud inside. If you otherwise like the car you might consider getting it, then taking it by a sound shop to have them insulate the cabin.

You know, Infiniti is Nissan's lux brand, might look on their lot. One of the cars we're considering as an LS replacement is an FX37. It's a small SUV, RWD, with a nice body. You might look at their cars as they will have something similar to the Maxima, just upscale.

Okay, sorry for the delayed response all. Typed this up on my tablet last night and it got borked just before I was ready to post. Was too frustrated to type it all out again...

Spent the day yesterday trying out a bunch of options. All were loaded up, leather, automatics with most options and pretty much all around the 20-25K mark (with the exception of the Lexus);

2013 Chrysler 300 - Didn't even take it out of the lot. Fit was okay except for headroom with the moon roof. Fit would probably be fine without one but the interior styling did nothing for either me or the wife. Too stuffy. I'm not ready for the retirement home yet. ;-)
2007 Lexus ES350 - Just about took my right ear off trying to squeeze in the drivers door. Once inside the headroom still wasn't great. Definitely not an option.
2012 Lincoln MKS ecoboost - B-pillar was a definite impediment. I'd need a resident chiropractor as I literally could not sit straight in the drivers seat. It shoves me to the console. Didn't bother taking this one out of the lot either. Pity.
2013 Acura TL AWD - A little bit cramped in the drivers compartment but doable. On the road I was impressed with the power and acceleration. Handling was tight and confident. Braking was very good. Reminiscent of the Wife's V8 LS but with better brakes and pickup. Definitely worth considering. Would have liked just a bit more hip/shoulder and leg room.
2013 Cadlilac CTS - B-pillar was a bit of an impairment but not too terrible. Can't say I was impressed with the power, handling or the way the transmission shifts. Acceleration felt sluggish, steering unresponsive, shifting a little spongy and it seemed to work far too hard for the acceleration being achieved. Ride was certainly smooth and quite but definitely felt disconnected from the driving experience.
2014 Dodge Charger - I've rented many of these in the past and knew they were roomy. They've just never done much to excite me. I had hoped that one fully loaded and decked out with leather might be a bit more enticing. I was mistaken. Like putting lipstick on a pig. It's still a Charger. Not for me. Good power and roomy but that's about all I can say. Steering is sloppy and braking is lackluster. Feel even more disconnected than in the CTS. I would feel like I was compromising way too much for the room. I might as well stick with an SUV. There is little improvement in driving experience except for the better acceleration.
2014 Nissan Maxima - I was surprised by the room in the Maxima. No real issues with the B-pillar or headroom. Better hip and leg room than the Acura TL. Power and handling were also impressive, nice and tight and responsive. The big problem we had with it was the noise. Holy crap we could barely hear ourselves think! From about 60km/h on up there was a hum that would grow louder. Didn't sound like wheel noise or normal wind noise. I'm not so sure there wasn't something wrong with it but the sales guys said Nissan doesn't put insulation in the doors. What a way to kill what could have been a really nice ride. I might try another just to see if the noise was typical but a comparison review I just read put the Maxima in last place for noise so maybe it is normal. Pity

Also sat in a Nissan 370Z. Headroom was okay after reclining the seat a bit but when I closed the drivers door the "sardine factor" definitely became apparent. Not enough shoulder room.

Overall I would have to go with the TL as the clear winner from this group. The others were either just not a good fit for my particular body shape or seriously lacking in the driving experience. It's really too bad about the Maxima because it had that little bit of extra driver room I would like in the TL.

Much as I'd like a Jag or a 7 series Beemer I can't imagine they will be within my budget unless they have serious miles or age on them. I'd prefer not to go there.

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. Hopefully my cursory report above will spark some more suggestions.

Infiniti Q50 - excellent vehicle IMO

Ford Taurus is huge inside and very quiet. Only test drive w/ the EcoBoost motor.

Most likely too small but Mazda 6 offers great value for the money IMO if you like a sportier ride.

Wild card = Kia Cadenza

Wait for Lincoln to hopefully build the new Continental:Beer
conti.jpg
conti2.jpg

conti.jpg

conti2.jpg

Infiniti Q50 - excellent vehicle IMO

Ford Taurus is huge inside and very quiet. Only test drive w/ the EcoBoost motor.

Most likely too small but Mazda 6 offers great value for the money IMO if you like a sportier ride.

Wild card = Kia Cadenza

Wait for Lincoln to hopefully build the new Continental:Beer
View attachment 828472069
View attachment 828472070

Too bad it will probably be close to 100 large!!!!!

I am definitely planning to look at the Infiniti G37's (both sedan and coupe) since the specs suggest they should be slightly roomier than the Acura TL.

I did take a look last night at the Kia Cadenza. I would have to find one with the black leather interior as the initial pictures I saw with the wood and chrome interior accents turned me off. Specs suggest it should have the size.

Also saw the announcement about the Lincoln Continental today. LOL Looks like it's going to be a Limo. Lincoln needs to make that new Coupe concept render (based on the Mustang) a reality!

Members online

No members online now.
Back