KKM Tru-rev induction kit...

well you will certainly want to considering a firewall between the cone and the engine becasue you will suck up hot air. Plus the summer is not the best time to run these things due to the high steady temps. but if you firewaal and install some ducting to move air to the cone you should be pretty happy with it especially if you intend to flash the pcm or add exhaust.

eLeS I am in the process of making my own air box and ducting it to the front grille. I will post pics once finished.

-Scott-

Im trying to do the same thing whenever I have spare time.
I took bunch of measurements then made a box out of cardboard box. Im looking for a plastic shop that will make it. I went to few places and they wont do it because it's not a perfect retangular box.
I think I just have to buy a sheet of ABS plastic and make it on my own.
I'll post soem pics once it's all done.

I did the same thing with my KKM true rev kit. Took all the measurements and made a cardboard proto type, fit very well. I then bought a small peice (3'x3') of 1\4" plexi-glass and cut it using a jig saw. Smoothed all the peices and made all my angles with a belt sander. Epoxy the peices atogether. Ran a 3" hose from the grill into the box through that oval hole that was under the airbox. Works like a champ. Next project headlights!

Ohhhhhh, I thought it was some upgrade for the PCM so no one could hack in to your system :slam

01lssport said:
Seperates the cone filter (air filter) from the engines hot air. The cooler the air the better.
Or commonly known as a "heat shield"

Hmm. I did not know this. Do you have to fabricate your own or can they be bought for our cars somewhere? Does anyone have a picture or a model anywhere so i can get an idea?

Nobody makes one yet. Custom fab until some company decides to start making one.

Here are some pictures of the first generation air box for the KKM. Remember these are a prototype but you can easily make one yourself with some aluminum and some time. This may help everyone start one up. As a side note the person that makes my intake tubes made this air box. I've tried to get him to make them for sale but he's so busy with his street rods that this has become low priority for him.

airbox1.jpg

airbox2.jpg

airbox3.jpg

airbox4.jpg

airbox5.jpg

airbox6.jpg

airbox7.jpg

airbox8.jpg

airbox9.jpg

The heat shield on the tube was an experiment. He took it off of his car soon after the picture was taken. However, the heat shield inside the box did show a tremendous temp difference. Last summer when he finished this project he put a high temp thermometer inside the engine compartment and ran it down the road about 10 miles. The temp inside the engine bay was around 190. He then placed the thermometer inside the air box with the heat shield and ran the car back. Once he got out of the car the thermometer was reading close to 110. However, we suspect that the temperature may have been less while driving since more air is being pushed into the box. The outside temperature last summer when he did the experiment was about 87 with 50% humidity. So, it was a hot and humid day to say the least.

Things like this make me wish I knew how to weld something like that together.

Gotta any closer pics Quik? Did you make it yourself? I can fabricate a box fairly easy just need some things to go off of, it looks like a muffler from here :p

How many you want?

When we did the prototype last summer there were only about ten of the tubes sold. Now that there are over 40 of them it might be worth taking the time to do a few if you guy's are interested. The only problems I've run into are a vibration (rattle) at idle sometimes and it's a PITA to install due to the tight clearances.
Don't know what it would run to do some, the more we make the cheaper they'd be tho.

P.M for Ken

Ken,
Mark made it through his appendics surgery OK, he came out to the shop yesterday and hang out for awhile. Just as he was getting better I was working on my big shop fan and caught two of my fingers in the blade. Split the right index fingernail down the middle to the first knuckle to the bone and took a slice out of the ring finger that needed six stitches to put back together. We were laughing that we are going to be the "walking wounded" fabricators...
Enjoy your beer, we're deep into painkillers around here ..

Just a general question about materials. Can you solder aluminum together?

tig it baby. i dont think aluminum can be "soldered" i believe brasing or welding

Members online

No members online now.
Back