KKM and K&N Intakes

xarruda89x

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys if really a stupid question ..

Which is better, i think like 98% of you have the KKM Intake.

Whats the difference?

GREAT question! I just put the K & N on and I KNOW I made the right decision. The sound alone is well worth the money.

im with NYC, gotta have that guard around the filter. i'm thinking of throwing in the K&N Typhoon that LSKoncepts sells, anyone have that in their LS?

I just put the K&N on my 03 LS. I have to say it's so far the best modification I have done to my car. It was pretty easy to install as well.

Not trying to thread-jack, but does anyone know if they make a K&N kit for '00-'02? On the LS Koncepts site I see 2 K&N kits, but they're both for the '03+. If the answer is no, is there anyway to get either of the '03+ kits to work on a '00-'02?

Not trying to thread-jack, but does anyone know if they make a K&N kit for '00-'02? On the LS Koncepts site I see 2 K&N kits, but they're both for the '03+. If the answer is no, is there anyway to get either of the '03+ kits to work on a '00-'02?

I'd like to know that as well

I have the KKM but without a heat shield it runs like ass in hot weather. I am probably going to drop some money on a K&N system here real soon.

The K&N is actually designed for the T-bird which is based on the 03 LS platform. K&N technically never made one for the LS including the earlier years. I had the KKM and then switched to the K&N. I felt the KKM suffered from heat soak since it had no heat shield. Also the K&N replaced the entire intake including the "accordian bend" (can you say disruptive airflow??) as well as the intake sound baffles. The KKM only replaced the airbox istelf with a cone.

I recommend the K&N. There are 2 versions. Metal and plastic. Metal looks better. Plastic performs better (less heat absorption)...

The K&N is actually designed for the T-bird which is based on the 03 LS platform. K&N technically never made one for the LS including the earlier years. I had the KKM and then switched to the K&N. I felt the KKM suffered from heat soak since it had no heat shield. Also the K&N replaced the entire intake including the "accordian bend" (can you say disruptive airflow??) as well as the intake sound baffles. The KKM only replaced the airbox istelf with a cone.

I recommend the K&N. There are 2 versions. Metal and plastic. Metal looks better. Plastic performs better (less heat absorption)...

I also have the K&N FIPK with heat shield, plastic intake tube, and prefer the look. Logic tells me the plastic runs cooler but with the metal tube does the air sit in the tube long enough to be that much warmer to make a difference?

are we talking about the 1st gen or 2nd gen CAI?

Do we recommend K&N for both?

As you can see by our signature both Kelleyo and myself have 2nd gen LS.

Speaking for myself I went with the K&N for the added heat shield and having not tried the KKN for an comparison, I can only speak for the K&N.

The K&N will only work on 03 and newer LS.

Not sure how you are going to fit a gen 2 intake on a gen 1 engine? On a gen 1 the intake connects to the plenum at the rear of the motor. That is why you see these long tubes that wrap around from the front to the back. On the gen 2, the intake connects to the front of the plenum. Not sure how or even why you would want to put a gen 2 intake on a gen 1 engine?

i forgot the K&N's are for Gen2's.... probably others did as well. i guess the question for us would be, are there any decent aftermarket intakes with heat shields for the Gen1s?

I Have both K&N's

vbpgimage44.jpg

vbpgimage55.jpg

what model is that? did you do the heat shield yourself or did it come with?

Members online

No members online now.
Back