KKM and K&N Intakes

what model is that? did you do the heat shield yourself or did it come with?

Its the 03+ T-Bird K&N. The heat shield comes with it. The shield would work in a GEN 1 if they would sell it seperate.

The K&N will only work on 03 and newer LS.

Not sure how you are going to fit a gen 2 intake on a gen 1 engine? On a gen 1 the intake connects to the plenum at the rear of the motor. That is why you see these long tubes that wrap around from the front to the back. On the gen 2, the intake connects to the front of the plenum. Not sure how or even why you would want to put a gen 2 intake on a gen 1 engine?

I didn't realize there was that much difference between the gen 1 intake and the gen 2 intake, as I don't have a gen 2 to look at. I would think the answer is pretty obvious as to why you'd want to put a gen 2 intake on a gen 1 engine. The gen 1 KKM intake has no heat shield, which makes it pretty worthless to those of us that have boiling hot summers. So, I think some of us are just looking for a nice gen 1 CAI that has a heat shield (and would do what we could if there was a way to get a nice gen 2 CAI with heat shield to work on the gen 1, which is why I asked :)).

You can make your own heat shield. There's a schematic/picture posted on here. Just do a search for "heat shield" and you should be able to find it. If not, I have the thread bookmarked at home and can post it later.

You can make your own heat shield. There's a schematic/picture posted on here. Just do a search for "heat shield" and you should be able to find it. If not, I have the thread bookmarked at home and can post it later.

Ah, looks like it's stickied (this is the one you're talking about, right?): http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=9487

Definitely not crazy about that air scoop behind the front bumper, but the shield looks pretty good. I wouldn't think the ABS plastic would do that good of a job at insulating though. I suppose you could always try and find something to insulate the walls with.

do you realy need a heat shield?

no but the engine temp will not let it work properly because the air in the engine bay is too hot. that is why so many members have made their own heat shields or routed theirs to the lower grill. but if you make a heat shield and no proper venting i would say that hot air is better than no air at all.

by not work properly i did mean it still works and doesn't mess the car up in any way but it is more sluggish than if it had a heat shield and was routed to the bottom bumper

right, you can actually lose performance by using one of those custom intakes w/ no shield, especially if it's hot out. the K&N for 03+s and up are great. i wish they would make something for the 00-02's!!

which one will you recomend?
and how does it sound after installed?

I like the plastic tube better since it doesnt scratch as much. The metal tube does have a more aggressive tone. The sound isnt anything crazy just growls once you put your foot into it.

Members online

Back