kind of a weird question...

Former Member

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any clue if a 351W will fit in our engine bay? are the motor mounts really far off?

it would be nice if someone has a huge section of useless information in there brain about this subect lol.

I would say yes. With a cutting torch and welder anything can be made to fit. LOL! :lol:

Just a quick thought/guess....I would look at hood clearance and also steering rack clearance. The 351 wouldnt have an oil pan to fit nicely nor is there room for a carb mounted air cleaner (assuming the 351w was not to be EFI)

Then again i could be way off, its been a while since i have worked on anything but my 3.9 and a few 7.3s

Why not a 302? Its jsut one step down from the 351, and you can grab mustang parts to mod it...

Fox body guy here. I just measured how wide it is from frame rail to frame rail in my 84 stang and same on my 2000LS. The stang came out to roughly 32 inches wide and the LS came out to 30. So yes a 351 would fit no problems. Also I would go with a 351 over a 302 just from the basic thought of more torque. A heavy car needs more tq to get the mass rolling. A 351 has a stroke of 3.5 inches compared to the 302 stroke of 3.0. Then some say stroke the 302 to 3.4 and make it a 347. My thought on that is all parts cost same so stroke the 351 to 4.0 inch stroke to make it a 408CI with a .030 overbore. Rule of thumb mild steet motor should make 1 HP per CI so the 408 would make a nice easy low rpm(6000rpm max) HP of 408 HP.It will also make a butt load more tq down low then the 302 roughly 450 ftlbs at 3500 rpm and up. The mild 408 would idle nice run on pump gas and not over heat. With 408 crank HP and a driveline loss of 18% you would have 335HP at the wheels. I don't know how much a LS weighs I know my MK8 weighs 4000lbs(with me in) on the money so if LS weighs 4000lbs with 408HP it should run a 12.45 @107mph if you can hook car up. Any more useless stuff you want? LOL Oh yeah hit it with a 150HP shot NOS and run a 11.22 @120. That motor would take 150 shot no problem.

Holy *uck! Nice couch numbers!

I didn't verify anything for myself, but damn your one through mo frackie! :D

my plan was to actually go 408ci stroker lol. Saw a build on one from popular hot rodding, and my step dad has a 351w in his van that hasnt moved in 2 years (needs to be rebuilt anyways). anyways yea they put out 528hp 527lb ft with the 408 stroker kit, AFR heads dual plane edelbrock intake and 750cfm carb. then they went to a single plane intake and 950cfm carb and got 552hp 530lb ft.

it would be the ultimate LS lol. i would like to see a 500-550hp 408 stroker. im not sure what trans. rip the gauges out and fuel tank out. do a fuel cell in the trunk and sheet metal gauge cluster where the factory one is. the rear end would hate launches, could be upped to a nice 8.8 eaton assembly but in all reality a full built mustang rear end would be nicer.

if it doesnt clear the hood i dont care. but the steering rack is a different thing. just by looking at it the oil filter might be an issue.

would be badass though if it could be done. i love the looks of my car, i just totally hate the drivetrain. i hate its power i hate its sound i hate that its a fuel injected nightmare.

First thing that popped into my mind: How much heavier is the 351 compared to the stock engine?

Will the chassis be able to take that much torque without tweaking? Even with Cross braces?

What tranny can you bolt up to the 351 that will fit under the LS?

How about any of the other scores of motors that will fit but never work in the LS?

Just,..... a thought.

Oh yea bench racing is fun. This is not to be takin serious trilkb is just expressing his dream. Because we all know the cash outlay here would be in the 10G range for motor and trans builds alone. And what about the biggest pain the headers. Getting the motor in the car is easy. The stock trans would not handle this HP. So need min of a C4 which has no overdrive. C4 is real light and kinda cheap and can handle HP.The C4 robs the least HP too. The AOD overdrive could be made to handle that HP but thats 3000 with converter. AOD needs no electronics to run it.The 351 would not be that much heavier then
the 3.9. Only thing cast iron would be the block. Front accs,heads, intake and carb all alum. No need to remove stock tank just leave that just run a return back to tank and pop a 255 pump in tank. You can reg EFI pump down to 7 psi easy with the return line no heat because its by passing. Also I went mild on the HP #'s to account for real world not the inflated Cali factor of add 10% LOL. I can make a dyno # read what ever I want. And what do peeps want? More thats what. Oh yeah most def have to do a 8.8 repop in the rear.

^ yea

By no means is this a "build thread" or an "on-going project"

to be honest if i got the 408 into it, it probably take a sawzall to the inner fenders to make way for the headers lol. I was thinking C4 or C6 trans as well. if this was done the car DEFFINETLY wouldnt be a daily driver. so i wouldnt mind hacking it up to make the headers and trans fit. could gut the thing too and id still like it.

Who cares what it weighs when you have over twice the amount of horsepower stock :lol:

It would be awesome though. Thinking about selling it and taking my moms 1999 jeep cherokee 4x4 for dirt cheap and buying a nice bike. cars suck

Trikb If you are serious about the swaps and you are gonna swap the entire drive train and rear, I would do it with a 350 chevy small block. With a 7 series trans and a ford 9 inch rear. And that whole 1 hp per cubic inch, that doesn't really work out well unless you are working with almost all aftermarket parts. This means replacing the cams, pistons crankshaft And everything else you can imagine. And if you are running a different motor in the LS, It would almost defintely be a carb instead of fuel injection. Unless you are gonna figure out the computer in the LS and rewrite the program. I did a motor swap in a 92 vette from the 350 into a 502. Had to go with a carb.

Sorry thats blasphme (don't know how to spell that one) Keep the chevy's in cadillacs this is a ford section here. LOL And 1 HP per cube is easy with stock parts. My 90 302 EFI stang I built for wife with stock block crank rods pistons cam made 305.

A stock 302 from those fox body stangs only put out about 225 Hp at the crank. Which means you are talking about 190 to 200 at the rear wheel. So going to 305 with a stock motor, Iam call Bs. What else was done to the motor??

m3?

305hp with a stock bottom end from a 302 isnt too difficult. Heads and cam will need help and probably trick flow intake or cobra intake. Gonna have to be REALLY good heads and probably a pretty large camshaft.

Well Lincoln you can call BS all you want but run the #'s. The AOD conv stang weighs in at 3500 lbs with me in it. The car trapped 104.5 mph in the 1/4 mile. That comes out to 305HP. Also the parts I said where stock where ford cast parts. The heads are ford E7 heads that where ported by Powerheads with chevy size valves flow 202 cfm. I bought a brand new stock bore block from summit cuz core motors decks where cracked. Put the stock 150K rotating assebly in with new bearings and rings. Stock roller cam with 1.72 roller rockers to bump lift up and act like its "cammed". Topped with a TFS street heat intake 65mm TB and a 75 mm Bullet MAS with 24 lb injectors then to a March ram air setup with large conical K&N filter in there. Exh was 1 5/8 Mac shorties with H pipe and all 2.5 inch pipes thru turbo muffs. Also my first built solid lifter 302 that was stock block crank rods and heads made 375HP and trapped 118.5 @ 2900 lbs when I was 18 or 19 that was 20 years ago. Put ported Iron Darts on that short block and made 450 HP trapped 126.5. Then put those heads on my built 351 short block and make 610HP to trap at 137 now. Run those #'s and let me know what you come up with. And also remember what parts I said where stock parts because they all where don't come back saying this or thats "not stock"

FYI I built this car for my wife and didn't want the conv to be crazy on power. Didn't want her blowing tires away and going into a ditch thats why my goal HP was 300. Also she drives car to track on street tires walking out hole 10 ft on 125 shot and clicks off 12.2 @114 shifting twice at 5300 rpm. Oh yeah AC blasting on way to track.

i wouldnt base 1/4 mile times with anything horsepower related. sure it might come out to that number, but gearing plays a part also.

I'd get it dyno'd and end the wonder lol.

Trilkb ,I want you to learn that a 1/4 mile is the BEST dyno plain and simple. There are many a speed calculators around that are spot on. The HP is based off of MPH not ET. ET is based off of traction. MPH is not so much. Simple physics formulas mean a certain weight car that runs a certain mph has to make a min certain HP plain and simple no way around it.

Members online

Back