keyless remote's range?

01LSv6

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have two sets of keys with the keyless entry remotes and I have to get like 10-15ft from the car for it to work. Is that the range on these things? Other ppl can use theres like 100ft away (other cars).

yea range for our remotes suck.. But, this can be a + too.. if you accidentally hit ur unlock button when ur 50 ft away, your car wont be unlocked

ok, I just wanted to be sure the range was supposed to be like that. Thought maybe my batteries were almost dead or something. On that note, how do you change the battery? Or do you have to buy a new remote?

pull the two sides open.. up by where the ring is

When was the last time you replaced your battery? If its been over a year, chances are you could use a new one. I put a new one in my remote and immediately noticed a dramatic increase in the range of the remote.

FYI, the battery is a 2032 coin cell, which you can pick up at any hardware store.

The manual says to slide a thin coin in between the two halves where the key ring is, then twist it to pop open the halves. Don't remove the rubber, and don't wipe off any grease inside. If you don't have TFM to R, you can get a PDF copy from the Tech Section, which is linked at the top of this forum.

FWIW, Lincoln officially says that a weak battery will not affect the range of the transmitter. My experience mirror's Todd's, that a weak battery does decrease range. There's a TSB on the "short range" issue, but I haven't looked at it in quite some time. My remote seems to work from as far away as 50 feet, depending on obstructions. I haven't tested it to see what the max distance is.

One guy I know used to get better range by holding the remote to the underside of his chin when operating it. I once got a really long range operation (well in excess of 50ft) on my SHO's remote by holding it against the metal pole for one of the parking lot signs--but only once. It never did that again.

The range on mine was very good about a year ago 70+ feet. Now it is about 30ft. I assume a low battery as I use it to roll down the windows and sun roof every day after work.

Members online

No members online now.
Back