K&N

mark0101

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I just bought it for my town car and it made the car sound more thicker. Is that good or bad. Is it getting more air in to the engine or not? I usually buy the airhog but they didn't have it for the town car.

That's normal. Just don't over-oil the filter, or you'll fahk-up the MAF sensor...

Does the K&N filter really help the performance that much? Is it something you can notice in the seat of your pants? I wouldn't mind spending the money if it is really beneficial to either performance and/or fuel economy of my '97 or '99 Town Cars.

Stephan said:
Does the K&N filter really help the performance that much? Is it something you can notice in the seat of your pants? I wouldn't mind spending the money if it is really beneficial to either performance and/or fuel economy of my '97 or '99 Town Cars.
don't really know yet, the only thing I notice right now is the noise.

Stephan said:

Nah, no real performance gain as claimed by the manufacturer. You'll notice more money in your wallet from better fuel economy before you notice performance increases. That's why alot of people slam K&N and will tell you to save your money...

Some times the CAI are really hot air intakes and with some modification done to the airbox AND a K&N filter you can actually do better and see hp increases.

ya, I have a "cai" in my 97 towncar and you can hear the throaty noise of the V8 more but I don't think it made that big of a difference by itself. Though if you open the exhaust up and tune it it will be more effective. Some mods are required to fab up a real cold air intake and not just suck air from the engine bay in the TC's though.

when i got my K&N i didnt notice MUCH of a difference at all.. only more a hearty growl at low RPMS that im in love with... plus a whistle sound at lower gears so i guess i paid 40 bucks for car to sound lil better... if i did get better gas mileage i didnt notice becuz i sped like crazy before and after lol

Fram Syswash

I just got one of the New Fram SysWash ,

http://www.fram.com/products/AirFilter

You Can Wash it would dish soap and water.

The one for the 2000 TC cost me about $30

Designed to perform 20 times longer than a standard-grade disposable air filter, the Fram SynWash long-life air filter features SynWash fiber technology, which enables the filter to be washed for like-new performance. The product -- which also features a heavy gauge corrosion-resistant stainless steel screen, a high-density gasket for increased durability, and filters 99 percent of harmful particles -- helps eliminates the need for consumers to purchase a disposable filter every year.

synwashoncar.jpg

I have the K&N filter, and it seems to give me about 29MPG on the highway, so some but not that much improvement over stock Mark VIII...

I will get a picture of mine on here if you want to see what it looks like. I need to go and take the picture tomorrow and I will post it tomorrow night

Sorry, for some reason my computer wouldn't let me open up LVC, maybe there was some maintenance on the site but whatever, here is the pic of it before i got the real cold air intake on it. This is just an intake. Not really cold air, in fact it sucks hot air. So, I am getting the shield within a day or two and will post the finished product then, but for now this is what it looks like.
DSC01012.jpg

i put a k&n filter on, along with 2.25" exhaust with 2 chamber flows, and on my run from florida to delaware i was averaging 26mpg on my '96 TC w/ 159,000 on the clock. not too bad. that's one thing i absolutely love about 4.6s, i throw a K&N on it and it will surprise you with fuel mileage. my '04 GT i used to have averaged 30mpg @ 75mph!

Members online

Back