K&N Question

Stopsign002

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Being the Newb I am, the last time I cleaned my K&N I didn't oil it. I know, its not good. But I just cleaned it again and did it right this time now that I know. Lately, my MPG has been suffering pretty badly, like 15 in the city and 18 on the highway badly (when I first got the car I was like 17 or 18 in the city and 22 to 24 on the highway). I just went for a quick drive after finishing up the filter and noticed my MPG going up, not to mention the LS definitely seemed to be driving stronger. Would oiling the filter increase MPG or do you think it was just the cleaning?

Over oiling it can mess up the maf. There needs to be some oil on it.

Being the Newb I am, the last time I cleaned my K&N I didn't oil it. I know, its not good. But I just cleaned it again and did it right this time now that I know. Lately, my MPG has been suffering pretty badly, like 15 in the city and 18 on the highway badly (when I first got the car I was like 17 or 18 in the city and 22 to 24 on the highway). I just went for a quick drive after finishing up the filter and noticed my MPG going up, not to mention the LS definitely seemed to be driving stronger. Would oiling the filter increase MPG or do you think it was just the cleaning?

Over oiling it can mess up the maf. There needs to be some oil on it.

Yes, the filter needs to be oiled properly for maximum efficiency. Over oiling will mess up the wire in the MAF. That said, should that happen (over oiling) the MAF can be cleaned.

Members online

Back