K&N Panel Air Filter vs Paper Air Filter Vs Cone (Cold Air)

Got my 95 in 1999, and it came with a K&N. Still has the same one in it. I wash it, let it dry, and oil it, using the K&N kit. All it takes is a light oiling, NOT so that the oil drips off. I don't find the MAF getting oily or dirty, but I clean it from both sides anyway. That's about 15 years and that's a lot of filters I didn't have to buy. I bought a washable FRAM filter for my truck, but never used it. I installed a K&N cone setup on it. I remember when the filters were only oil. Boy I'm old.
Yep ... I had the oil bath air cleaner way back in my 56 Ford.

The K & N filter media used to be junk back as far as I know in the early 2000's. I bought one for a 6.5 Tahoe diesel I had and then read a vacuum test done on a variety of filters sucking a number of different air dust, dirt and ash threw the filters and then threw a white catch material. The K&N paper type filter media did the worst job of filtering out of all the filter but did flow the most air. A basic test is look threw the filter at the sun and see if any bright dots are visible. I took the filter out of the truck and did than and by God, ALOT of sun was coming threw my expensive K&N! Got rid of it. As mentioned, the best filters were oiled foam for keeping dirt out but as they get loaded, their flow was not the best of course.

Members online

Back