K&N Panel Air Filter vs Paper Air Filter Vs Cone (Cold Air)

jbelcourt

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm having a really hard time deciding on this. I've read quite a bit, including on here, that the stock air system is actually pretty good on the Mark. I was originally planning on trying to figure out how to set up a cold air intake before I found this site and read what I read about the stock air system. Then, I was like, well, I'll pick up a "high performance" K&N Air Filter because I found one on eBay for pretty cheap (used) and decided not to pull the trigger on it after I read up a bit on the .org site that suggested besides the reusable factor, it's not really better.

You guys have done a ton to your cars, so I'd much rather trust experience then hearsay.

What are your opinions on this? Is the K&N really worth it over the paper filters? Or is cold air the real direction to go?

Thanks for any tips.

There is oil on that filter and if that oil ends up getting on your MAF sensor, you're not going to like tearing that box apart to spray it down with MAF cleaner and honestly, it's hard to beat the paper filter. Personally, I wouldn't use one for stock but that's me. I don't think most of us would but I'm sure some will say they are and will continue to do so. It ain't mine so I don't worry about it. All I can say is that there isn't any benefit to having that oily K&N panel filter in, over the paper panel. Go clean man! Get a WIX or something similar.

MOTORCRAFT FA1602

PUROLATOR A34826

STP SA7666

WIX 46052

And as for a cone, not for me. If you don't build something to block the heat from the engine, you're going to be pulling it in. Use the box and the air will be cooler.

I have a K&N panel filter in my 98 and my Expedition. I didn't notice much of a difference in my Lincoln but my Expedition seems to pull away easier from a traffic light. I really notice the difference when towing. My Mark gets the same fuel mileage as my friend's Mark with a paper filter so no gain there.

Sweet. Going to continue to monitor any responses for a day or two, but I think my mind is already made up. I was having a hard time deciding to spend $45 on a filter especially if there's no true "gain" from doing so.

I have a K&N cone with a poorly made home made box and it makes beautiful music when I accelerate but as far as performance I noticed ZERO.

Stay with what No Limit has recommended for your stock setup. In my SC unit I run Airaid. No oily filters for me.

I made my own after I rebuilt my car from being totalled.

I didnt have a good stock airbox to use so I made an open box type setup. It's crude, and needs perfected, but it worked pretty well for a first try.

2011-08-14_20-21-56_328.jpg

2011-08-14_20-21-37_475.jpg

2011-08-14_20-21-21_288.jpg

2011-08-14_20-21-12_774.jpg

I still need to make brackets to hold it still using the original airbox mounting studs, and I would like to add more rubber hose to the side where the hood shuts to seal it from the corner on the inside of the hood, and then extend the front to meet the core support, as I cut it wrong when I was cutting it out from my template.

I'd also like to slot the 4 mounting holes for the MAF meter in case it needs "tweaked"

I've run k&n pannle filters for 10 years in my marks
NEVER had a problem with oil you just need to know how to use them.
We run a moroso cold air kit with cone k&n filter on the 97 camaro for 10 years no problems there either.

Do the numbers they out flow any paper element
And you never have to buy another one.

I also have a cold air kit for my 97 mark including ice box
(This is a 80mm mas and cone k&n filter)from LMS and when I get my car tuned I will see if there's a difference. Some day.

I've run k&n pannle filters for 10 years in my marks
NEVER had a problem with oil you just need to know how to use them.
Do the numbers they out flow any paper element
And you never have to buy another one.

DITTO 10 YRS and no oil on filter problems plus better air cleaning!

i did the Leo stealth mod to my air box and used an 8 inch Spectre filter from Autozone and a MAF adapter from Fleabay. Didn't notice much more power but sounds better. Cut a little too much of the back of the factory air box lid but I know where there are two in the junk yard so no worries.

frontofmaf-1.jpg

Fleabay MAF adapter, I believe it was 3.5 inch diameter.

SAM_1757.jpg

I know, I know, I cut a little too much off the airbox and it needs to be smoothed down but for the most part it looks factory from the front of the engine.

rearshot.jpg

I have this mod on my '96.

I know, I know, I cut a little too much off the airbox and it needs to be smoothed down but for the most part it looks factory from the front of the engine.

rearshot.jpg

If you cut it properly, it looks factory. :p

I removed the Air silencer with paper stock Air filter and drilled the Air box that its turned out nothing. It creates more noise on the highway. I'll do Air silencer back.

Mark VIII 97 LSC

i did the Leo stealth mod to my air box and used an 8 inch Spectre filter from Autozone and a MAF adapter from Fleabay. Didn't notice much more power but sounds better. Cut a little too much of the back of the factory air box lid but I know where there are two in the junk yard so no worries.

Fleabay MAF adapter, I believe it was 3.5 inch diameter.

I wouldn't bother with an other air box, just get some tin snips, rivets and some aluminum and fab up you own. I do like the adapter though, I might have to get one.

If you're gonna get an aftermarket filter, I'd go with OEM, they make a washable/reusable filter with no oil. Ive used spectre and k&n on a cherokee but i like this one the best

air intake.jpg

97 lsc

air intake.jpg

That's like the one that came on my LT1 Corvette Engine that came in my Master Craft boat and if is meant to be oiled. My 65 Vette came with an oiled air filter long before K&N existed. You are supposed to sparingly oil where the air enters the filter,not on the other side. I have never figured out how people get oil on the MAF,unless the over saturate the filter or the wrong side. My 2cents.

Where do you drive that your engine bay gets that dirty? I lived on dirt roads in PA and my engine bay never ever got that dirty.

Got my 95 in 1999, and it came with a K&N. Still has the same one in it. I wash it, let it dry, and oil it, using the K&N kit. All it takes is a light oiling, NOT so that the oil drips off. I don't find the MAF getting oily or dirty, but I clean it from both sides anyway. That's about 15 years and that's a lot of filters I didn't have to buy. I bought a washable FRAM filter for my truck, but never used it. I installed a K&N cone setup on it. I remember when the filters were only oil. Boy I'm old.

Got my 95 in 1999, and it came with a K&N. Still has the same one in it. I wash it, let it dry, and oil it, using the K&N kit. All it takes is a light oiling, NOT so that the oil drips off. I don't find the MAF getting oily or dirty, but I clean it from both sides anyway. That's about 15 years and that's a lot of filters I didn't have to buy. I bought a washable FRAM filter for my truck, but never used it. I installed a K&N cone setup on it. I remember when the filters were only oil. Boy I'm old.
Maybe,I'm 69 any you Tony? My 65 Vette you immersed the foam filter in 30 wt and squeezed it out and put it back in the chrome filter air cleaner housing.

I would suggest not to go the pictured route due to the assault of water, dirt & heat on the filter. Air boxes are an important part of consistent performance and the longevity of your engine. If you want to keep the all the expensive engineering the factory went threw AND improve "clean" air flow to your engine mods, I suggest taking a look at modified box designs that do that. If you are a do it your self-er, take a look at what I did for flow and great sound as long as your exhaust dosent drown it out.

Seeing as they were able to run the factory setup of the Mk8 up to 180mph at Bonneville, the paper filter is probably just fine. I never quite understood tweaking an already performance setup just in order to pick up a couple of tenths at a drag strip.... especially with an overweight luxury car. Not to mention, the additional noise that can arise from a more 'open' intake. If you want to win drag/stoplight to stoplight races, a Lincoln Mk8 isn't exactly what you want to start with. Start with an older 'Stang with a solid rear axle. It will be much cheaper in the long run, plus, plenty more performance options.

Seeing as they were able to run the factory setup of the Mk8 up to 180mph at Bonneville, the paper filter is probably just fine. I never quite understood tweaking an already performance setup just in order to pick up a couple of tenths at a drag strip.... especially with an overweight luxury car. Not to mention, the additional noise that can arise from a more 'open' intake. If you want to win drag/stoplight to stoplight races, a Lincoln Mk8 isn't exactly what you want to start with. Start with an older 'Stang with a solid rear axle. It will be much cheaper in the long run, plus, plenty more performance options.

My old VW TDI beatle could do pretty good on a salt flat. Thats pretty meaning less. My 97 base MKVIII is not a "performance set up" by any stretch of the imagination with the tiny intake horn snorkel, God awfull factory restricted single exhaust and horrible factory trans porting. Getting those 3 things squared away with relatively basic mods made one hell of a seat of the pants difference. A far more fun car to drive hitting the on ramps yet quiet and smooth for the cruise unlike the go cart pony car. We will have to agree to disagree on this one!

Members online

Back