Just got back from the transmission shop... Q and A time

Myco

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I was just having the oreilly gasket replaced with the OEM gasket and refilled as I thought that was where the leak was.

The shop said that there are several places that the transmission is leaking from and that it needs to have a gasket replacement all the way around. They said it would be 495$. In doing so they said they would check the clutches inside and the interior when they remove the pump to see if it needed a rebuild and if it did it would cost 1500$.

This is all fine and good and I believe them. It's a reputable shop but could anyone enlighten me on what they are talking about as far as the leaks go?

I know it can leak from the dipstick tube and the pan but can it also leak from the torque converter ( where the shifter goes into the transmission )?

Are these decent prices? Should I be looking for a new transmission?

Thanks

edit: Just so you know the transmission when I got it was doing the shuddering thing and after replacing the fluid I've put about 2k miles on it. In that time I've replaced the fluid twice and put a new seal on it as I thought that was where the leak was. ( oreilly seal ) As of right now it's shifting fine but I really don't know much about transmissions so take that with a grain of salt.

Shop for a junkyard 03+ Mustang 4R and a Mach I converter. If you look around you can probably spend half of that quote of $1,500. Expect to pay $250-500 for labor to swap out the old tranny and install the new one. 99+ will need some wires swapped.

Shop for a junkyard 03+ Mustang 4R and a Mach I converter. If you look around you can probably spend half of that quote of $1,500. Expect to pay $250-500 for labor to swap out the old tranny and install the new one. 99+ will need some wires swapped.

have a friend at a shop near me and they are doing it right now for 350$ so for that much it's worth it.

The only thing that bothers me is that they are not going to pull the pump. Hope that isn't an issue I face in the future.

I hope they know how to re-pin the harness for this swap or swap electrical internals form yours over to the one being installed. If not, problems are on the way.
Swapping the electrical parts inside was my way and extremely simple to do. Also, doing a J-Mod on it while it's out only takes 30 min or less and worth doing. It requires two gaskets and both run about $5 from Maxx and replacing the front and rear seals with OEM seals from Maxx would be a good idea too. All the parts for the J-Mod and seal swap was right at $30 shipped. Had them in 2 days.

There's a seal on the front of the inner shaft, another on the tail...other than those...I'm not terribly familiar with the internals of our trans', but I can pull up a full blown up diagram of it if you wish...
....just rub the magic lamp real lighty

There's a seal on the front of the inner shaft, another on the tail...other than those...I'm not terribly familiar with the internals of our trans', but I can pull up a full blown up diagram of it if you wish...
....just rub the magic lamp real lighty

Yeah, all these gaskets and seals they said were leaking could really only be either the front or rear or pan. There are two gaskets in the valve body but those aren't going to leak on the outside unless the valve body was about to come apart inside and I think he would know if it was that bad. I know the internals now like the back of my hand and the 97 harness will not work with that trans unless it's re-pinned or the internal solenoids are swapped out. If no J-Mod is going to be done, the valve body doesn't even have to be touched for the internal swap. swapping internals takes about 45 min at a slow pace. this includes using your existing main wire harness.

Yeah the front shaft seal, tail shaft seal and pan gasket are the only things that can leak externally, unless it's possibly the o-ring on the tube

Wish I had had the time to get and give him parts for the jmod but for now it will work until the next time I need to work on it. He put it on the lift and I saw it was the front seal that was leaking.

Members online

No members online now.
Back