just bought delrins hid adaptors need help w/bulb selection

420ss

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
i just now bought a pair of delrins HID adapters for my 97 mark VIII LSC and i was going to purchase the bulbs for them right now but i need some help from my fellow LVC members. now it stated in the e bay listing for the adapters, that they accept a 9006 bulb so first question is, is that the only distinguishing number when it comes to bulb size/type selection? and second question is, i wanted to go with an 8000K iceberg blue 9006 bulbs, is that going to be to much for a low beam application? and if yes what would be more fitting for that application? and keep in mind i live in a very small town with pretty much no street lights, so when night comes it is blacker then black out side. and while i have you here, what number bulb does my high beams take? so i can order a matching (or close) color in a higher K rating. thank you for your time.

8000k is really, really blue. if you want blue, and still wanna see, 6000k.
but i would suggest 4500k-5000k for actual visibility.
so, 9006 lows, and 9005 highs.

nice, thank you chris2523, good thing i have this forum to double check my ideas with, or i would be like the great blue yonder or something illuminating the whole block with my blue brilliance. so with the lack of street lights in mind, what would you run the 5000K or the 6000K?

i have 5000k now, and a little more blue wouldn't hurt anything.
either or, there won't be a ton of difference. if you want a little more blue, 6000k will be fine.

HID3colorschart.gif

Look up Terry"s (no limit) post. He has some really good pics of his HIDs and all the numbers of the bulbs you would need. He went into great detail with this. I'm sure he will post as soon as he sees this thread:) But in the meantime...

perfect, so i just order a 9006 in a 6000K, and that's all. thanks to every one that helped, now i am going to buy some bulbs, i cant wait until i can drive without having to use my brights, oh ya i was also wondering, can i get bulbs for my brights that are as close as possible to the 6000K color, but a lot brighter, of course. thanks again.

I have 4300K 9006 HID low beam bulbs and use Sylvania Silverstar Ultra 9005 high beam bulbs, that's the best combination I could come up with for the best light. You'll never get a true match of HID and Halogen bulbs. HID's aren't really suited for use as high beams as they don't flash since they take a bit to warm up.

BTW, You need to purchase a complete aftermarket HID kit, not just bulbs. I use and recommend the digital slim ballast kits. I bought mine from VVME.

Last edited:
I run 5000K in both my high and low beams. You are correct that it takes some time to click the high beams on but I repined my multifunction switch so when my highs are on my lows also stay on. So its just like having my low beams on until my highs warm up..... Then its like wow I can see once the highs warm up.

If I were to do it again I think I would do 5000-6000k for a little bluer look..mine are 4300k from VVME and they are a very crisp white with the slightest hint of blue...anywhere in that range would be good in my opinion though..and I know there are different opinions here but I would use just a silverstar bulb in the high beam because these hids do take a while to warm up to its full brightness so if you are using the high beams to flash or use only for a minute I don't think it would be worth it..plus the fewer amount of balasts you have to cram behind the headlights the better..even with slim balasts in only the low beams its pretty damn tight in between the back of the headlights and the core support.

Edit: didn't notice dlf's post I pretty much just said exactly what he did..but I did take his advice on using VVME's kit and I'm happy with it.

ddm's

I like my 6000k hid conversion from ddm in my 94 -- gonna do the brights next in 6000k - i want to do that mod that keeps the dims on when brights are on when i get time - workin 60 hours - not much time to play mowing 3 acres - dang i need some sheep :rolleyes:

I'm always messing with different bulbs and my current 6K & 10K setup is something I have only had put in for maybe a month. Before that, it was 6K & 6K but I do agree with the digital slim ballast. You can get two kits, one 9006 and one 9005 because the highs really don't take that long to warm up. It's not instant but for me, I'm looking at maybe 4 seconds and after that, if you have to shut them off because of oncoming traffic, they'll strike right back on without any warm up at all. Instant! I have done this many many times and have yet to blow one bulb.

Now, you being out in the country and without street lights, I would either go with 5K or 6K. The 5K should be very white as mine are 6K and are very white with a very slight hint of blue but I see more white than anything. 8K out in the country would be ok but not super bright like you seem to be wanting. I do have pics below of 6K, 8K, 12K and dual 6K's & 8K's. I have had 10K in my lows before and they are blue with slight white but I have no pics of them on hand.

6000K Low beam only

HeadlightsAimed008.jpg

8000K low beam only (sold to another member on here)

Lights004.jpg

12,000K is just plain stupid but I tried them anyway. If you end up going with 12K, go ahead and buy two fart can mufflers for it too.

Lights002.jpg

This is 6K and I believe 8K highs and lows at the same time. 8K were in the lows. Keep in mind, most of this light was coming from the 6K highs.

HeadlightsAimed003.jpg

This is the 10K color coming at you, low beams only.

98tranny006.jpg

In the sig pic below, that is 6K with a relay kit installed. Just like mentioned above, everyone has their opinion and we have our likes and dislikes. I didn't go with 4300K because that's basically factory. I like "different" and wanted that touch of blue. All bulbs above you see, were tested in brand new out of the box housings and not all were aimed dead on but were aimed good enough because of testing. I really wouldn't advise the 8K for the country. 5K or 6K would be my choice. Again, it would take many re-strikes of the highs to blow a bulb as I have just sit and done it over and over and didn't care if it did blow a bulb and I never blew one. They say it's not good for them but going down the road and only re-striking long enough for the oncoming car to get by you, you're not hurting them. I have more than tested that theory.

I've found the Hoen xenonmatch bulbs to be very close to factory HID color. Have yet to see a bulb that's a closer match.

Again, it would take many re-strikes of the highs to blow a bulb as I have just sit and done it over and over and didn't care if it did blow a bulb and I never blew one. They say it's not good for them but going down the road and only re-striking long enough for the oncoming car to get by you, you're not hurting them. I have more than tested that theory.

i use HIDs in my highs and strike the crap out of them. working fine so far.

Different places all have different ideas on color temp, its very hard to match them from different compaines...

Different places all have different ideas on color temp, its very hard to match them from different compaines...

This is true. I have 2 sets of 6K's and they aren't the same but then again, I'm wondering if it's the refractors in the low beam that make the color look dimmer or different. I put the 10K's in the highs a few weeks back and they almost seem to match. I'm going to get so more sets of bulbs from different makers but nothing over a 10K. Probably just stick with some 5K's and 6K's. I just like testing stuff. I'll also get more better updated pics.

Members online

No members online now.
Back