Just bought a 98 LSC Black on Black-rebuilding trans

micahs97m8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
My cousin bought it a month ago for $2000 and has sunk nearly $1000 into it already. it has every option available just about. Sunroof, heated seats, Octastars, 10-disc changer and so on.

He drove it from NJ to NC and the trans has a bad shudder. I'm buying it off of him and getting the tranny rebuilt by a local (NC) shop that does good work, just curious what shift kits you guys suggest. Looking for something that gives strong pull through all gears. This will be my summer toy for years to come, so no expense is being spared.

Baumann, Call Geno he's close enough to you and he can get the kit installed. Mike P.S. The octastar cap looks good on Ross's car.

I've heard many times of the Jmod, but is it just a fix or a performance upgrade? looking to build the whole car in the next few years. gears, handling, paint, and maybe a supercharger, if the wife doesn't file for divorce first...lol. Wanting to build the trans. to shift aggresively.

shifts faster, reduces slip in between gears. less heat, better life span, etc. thats pretty much what a shift kit does im pretty sure.
burbank98lsc is running a ton of power to his stock jmodded 98 trans. the 98's hold together pretty darn well.

98 is the best mod to the transmission by far... it is a shift kit, this whole idea of a shift kit is a dumb acronym that came from back in the day of the old school transmissions....

The JMOD increases the size of the passages that control fluid flow into the pistons that make the transmission itself shift... the fluid fills and empties the pistons faster, the transmission shifts faster. faster shifts, less slipping in the clutches, more trans life.

You guys have been very helpful. I'll tell them all I want is a J-mod and of course a rebuild. let's "pretend" for a moment i'm dumb. is there anything special you can do to a torque convertor other than just replacing it?

You could take it to someone who specializes in torque converters to have it restalled... but you're better off with a smaller case, high-stall aftermarket unit.

A j-mod is not something you are going to have a shop do. You will probably need to research yourself what power range you want the trans to be tuned for and drill the holes appropriately. You can't go crazy, thinking you are going to make 600+hp right out of the gate, and drill the separator plate for that, because on a stock engine the shifting will be so hard it will knock your teeth out. A shop probably won't know, or care how to do the j-mod. And just to clarify, you are just making holes bigger like Brandon said... If you were to buy a "shift-kit" from summit or something, you are paying for the same thing, just for a lot more money.

The jmod is a classic case of bigger isn't better...

I've seen pics of twisted drums and shafts from people over jmodding there stuff.

The guy who is doing it is very experienced at this. I don't think i'll ever make 600hp, so I told him to do a simple JMOD. He has done this to 2 of my uncle's Marks. Also going to put some sort of hardened internals in it. He said they use them in the police cars for better performance and durability. I will be talking to him later this evening and asking more questions.

I may have found something better. Looking into one of these: http://www.performanceautomatic.com...-transmissions/aode---4r70w-transmission.html
Trying to make sure there is no difference between a 98-newer mustang and Mark VIII 4R70W. The one I found has 15k miles and comes with a a 12" 22-2400 stall torque converter. Do you know if this is a direct swap? He only wants $500 and the setup cost almost $3000 new.

Members online

No members online now.
Back